Refusing Promotion to Captain

After you’ve been the poop show commander a few times it loses its luster. The money helps, but honestly, I fly with senior FOs who are making almost or as much as me because they can do more with their schedules being senior in their seats.

Edit: being a CA is a better job for other reasons but there’s a point of diminishing returns on effort vs reward,

I'm 4th from the bottom in Seattle. This means red eye reserve and an endless assignment of terrible red eyes. Like the FAI turn. Leave Seattle around midnight. Get to Fairbanks around 2AM. Sometimes swap airplanes and then fly back and arrive at Seattle around 6-7AM. Battling the morning commute traffic to get to a bed.

One if the stories making the rounds is FOs refusing promotion to captain. What are the reasons.
Excellent question.
First of all, I will explain what the motivation was for upgrading in the past.
1. More money. Yes it it’s still more money but with the bonuses and higher starting rates, you are aren’t groveling for CA pay rates.
It’s not like the old days when you were making 20/hr and then when you upgraded you made 60. Now new hires are getting good bonuses and 100+ hr
2.PIC time. Why why do pilots care about PIC time because they want to go to the next level not required anymore.
So, the two biggest motivations for upgrading have been removed.
So, then you have to consider the disincentives. An upgrade can cause a serious disruption to one quality of life. Commuting to reserve is, well not good.
Then, I hate to say, at some places, another training event is quite distasteful. And unnecessary.
In fact, I would estimate that out of the last
15 FOs I have flown with in the past only one ex expressed an interest to upgrade.

If you can make the required coin for your lifestyle, why take the massive QOL hit by being junior?

I get it if you’ve never been in the left seat, and want the challenge.... but if you’ve checked the box and don’t GAF….why take garbage schedules and having ur corporate overlords take more time from you than is needed?

100% schedule manipulation...the amount of guys I fly with that can hold 78 CA but don't is because they make more as an Airbus CA that can work their schedule...same goes for FO's...

to top it off holding all these off: weekends, holidays, vacations, kids soccer games, swim meets, etc....it is worth its weight in gold...GOLD JERRY GOLD!

Last edited:
One if the stories making the rounds is FOs refusing promotion to captain. What are the reasons.
IDK, maybe 'cause forever, the best job at any airline has been most senior FO?

What more could a schlub ask for? Most of the money, no responsibility at all - other than maybe, one day, actually having to land an airplane all by yourself?!? Oh, the horror!

I was bidding around 25 out of 550 FO’s at the master base and got to where I wasn’t moving up anymore when new vacancies came out. The top was heavy with a lot of females (guessing they have children?) and some lifer FO’s. I waited until I could hold weekends off as a captain to upgrade for football, and bbq competitions. To each their own.

Certainly depends where you are. I’m still fairly junior right seat on the 330 but right now it’s the best jerb I’ve ever had. No plans to upgrade anytime soon but at the same time I’ve promised myself I won’t turn into the 20 year brain dead FO either.

I'm 4th from the bottom in Seattle. This means red eye reserve and an endless assignment of terrible red eyes. Like the FAI turn. Leave Seattle around midnight. Get to Fairbanks around 2AM. Sometimes swap airplanes and then fly back and arrive at Seattle around 6-7AM. Battling the morning commute traffic to get to a bed.
At least this time of year you have daylight for most of it. Doing that trip in November probably takes 3 days off your life expectancy every time.

Junior captain can mean slow advancement, poor schedules and abuse by crew scheduling. My last two trips, I had FO's that were senior to me, and I'm pretty senior systemwide.

Sometimes, seniority is stratified. I was (I think) single-digit seniority on the 320 in LAX but if you saw the bottom line holder, our schedules weren't that much different except I had the better redeye. LOL

Different career path for me but offered the chance for training and advancement a couple times, I preferred to remain the 2nd "senior frog" in our pond. I wasn't afraid to exercise authority (had done so advancing in rank in both the USAF and local FD). I just liked where I was and what I did and found no particular reason to rock that boat🤷‍♂️

Back