The AT-SAT Test

cheer up friend, many people have made it further into the career with low 80s on the AT-SAT than people with 100s. It may take longer to get hired, but as long as you get hired, so what? (Who am I to talk, I haven't gotten an interview yet and i beat myself up every day for it!) Once you get out there, just kick some ass. The AT-SAT is just an aptitude test... not any indicator of how well you'll do at the job.

I got my score from Wednesday also. I got an 82. I'm pretty bummed. I thought I nailed the test!! I'm assuming with an 82, it will be harder for me to find a job.
Don't stress it. I've read that people with close to 70 scores have been put in Grade 11,12 facilities and people who have scored 100 have been sent to Grade 6,7 facilities. The facility managers pick the applicants to be interviewed and from what i've learned your education and aviation experience play more of a factor than your ATSAT score. Also consider this, a person gets 100 on the ATSAT but is colorblind...that 100 is nothing.
Hell I got a high 90's score and I don't care to show or flaunt it because I know it doesn't mean s**t. Getting a passing score on the ATSAT simply means you will be available for refferal list.

Hi everybody.

I'm 14 years old, and i'm really interested in aviation. When i was younger i wanted to be a pilot, but now i'm really starting to look into air traffic control. I was just looking for some advice from any aspiring our actual controllers out there. I was reading this thread, and i'm not really sure how hard the AT-SAT is. Is this something that should be pursued?

Thank you all

You have a long time til you're eligible and the way the FAA changes their hiring practices and standards more often than I change my underwear I really wouldn't worry about the AT-SAT yet.

Hi everybody.

I'm 14 years old, and i'm really interested in aviation. When i was younger i wanted to be a pilot, but now i'm really starting to look into air traffic control. I was just looking for some advice from any aspiring our actual controllers out there. I was reading this thread, and i'm not really sure how hard the AT-SAT is. Is this something that should be pursued?

Thank you all
Hi,

Like @NovemberEcho said, things are changing a lot. Or, well, they have to. Long story. But just know that by the time you are eligible to apply, the whole industry will be different, for better or worse. If you're interested in ATC, stream it on the web, buy an airband radio or scanner and watch the planes at a towered airport and try and figure out who's doing what. Just spend the next few years wrapping your head around it, and if you still want to do it, great, you'll be ahead of the curve to start if you do make it to the academy. If you don't, at least you picked up a hobby and it will help you in other areas of aviation, like flying, if you pursue them. Spend the next few years reading aviation forums, see what the pros have to say and how they feel about things, and have an informed opinion by the time you're out of school.

But just to clarify, it is a lottery for lack of a better term to get into air traffic control as a civilian at this moment in time. Relevant experience doesn't help and you can't prepare for the screening. Check back on that process in 5 years or so and hopefully it is something you can realistically do.

Good luck.

Hi everybody.

Thank you all
I am currently at the academy right now and there is a lot of talk about things changing. That being said, they are also stressing how badly they needs controllers. By the time you are eligible, the process may be somewhat streamlined. as @ChasenSFO has said, immerse yourself in aviation if this is what you want to do. ATC basics will be a lot easier if you have some aviation knowledge and can visualize what the airspace looks like. Don't get too hung up on what you need to do to prepare right now because nobody knows what the hiring process will look like in the next year. Also, do your best to keep a clean record. They dig pretty deep into your background and something like underage drinking or a dui will probably keep you from getting hired.

Back