Postal Service chooses UPS over FedEx.

Well...at least attempt to sit in back and cause havoc for our schedulers who count on most of us deviating.
So my last trip ended in Anchorage with a backend dh. We landed at 1am and I took a 6am to get down to Seattle. The scheduled left at 10pm that night through Chicago and got to Memphis at 10am the next day. I then hope there's a jumpseat back to Seattle (good luck with that come October) and land at 6pm and fight traffic getting home at 7:30pm. So I get home 36 hours later and that "causes havoc on our schedulers"? Nevermind the fact that while I'm sitting there in Anchorage I'm ripe for the picking since I haven't deviated and then they can revise me to do whatever they want.
No thanks. I give this pilot group enough of my time, I'm not going to play some silly theoretical havoc causing like that will have some effect on getting another TA sooner.

Just for those who don't understand the nuance here, the company over-books required front end deadhead flights out of Memphis because they know 70%+ of pilots will deviate and not take that flight.

If everyone actually showed up to take the scheduled deadhead....well....it should be obvious how that would impact scheduling.

But, some folks aren't interested in giving up the extra time at home that deviating from that company ticket allows.

Last edited:
So my last trip ended in Anchorage with a backend dh. We landed at 1am and I took a 6am to get down to Seattle. The scheduled left at 10pm that night through Chicago and got to Memphis at 10am the next day. I then hope there's a jumpseat back to Seattle (good luck with that come October) and land at 6pm and fight traffic getting home at 7:30pm. So I get home 36 hours later and that "causes havoc on our schedulers"? Nevermind the fact that while I'm sitting there in Anchorage I'm ripe for the picking since I haven't deviated and then they can revise me to do whatever they want.
No thanks. I give this pilot group enough of my time, I'm not going to play some silly theoretical havoc causing like that will have some effect on getting another TA sooner.
There have been more than a couple of instances where two pilots deviate prior to landing in ANC and one that doesn't resulting in a reschedule to fly back to MEM. Never understood why guys don't deviate earlier. Even when I have got in late and required an adjustment to my pairing to make it legal for the scheduled DH, scheduling did it no problem. I just had to deviate again after it was fixed.

C'mon, you know we're not talking about back end DHs.

Just for those who don't understand the nuance here, the company over-books required front end deadhead flights out of Memphis because they know 70%+ of pilots will deviate and not take that flight.

If everyone actually showed up to take the scheduled deadhead....well....it should be obvious how that would impact scheduling.

But, some folks aren't interested in giving up the extra time at home that deviating from that company ticket allows.
With our current staffing, I doubt this would have a big effect. During Covid when we were getting called everyday to pick up draft, it would've been a huge blow. Now we are 30 deep on reserves in just about every seat. It also is advocating for a job action on a public message board so I would not recommend this course of action.

200w-1.gif

But I NEED a double breasted(heehee) blazer to be important!

:sarcasm:

Ok I'll play. Front End DH bingo, I'll have to jumpseat in a day prior, expense a hotel, take a early am two leg coach dh to someplace. Or I can deviate ride in first and cost the company the same or more. IF this mythical gamble the company makes is true, they'll just rebook on a different flight weeks in advance, and if there's not class of service, "Wait List" (which isn't a thing). Cool middle seat in coach on united. I'm sure the rest of the pilot group will thank you while they are flying first to DXB eating caviar.

I'm sorry you either fly with too many guys that live in Memphis or this is from your time on the Bus. There's zero leverage with this game.

Ok I'll play. Front End DH bingo, I'll have to jumpseat in a day prior, expense a hotel, take a early am two leg coach dh to someplace. Or I can deviate ride in first and cost the company the same or more. IF this mythical gamble the company makes is true, they'll just rebook on a different flight weeks in advance, and if there's not class of service, "Wait List" (which isn't a thing). Cool middle seat in coach on united. I'm sure the rest of the pilot group will thank you while they are flying first to DXB eating caviar.

I'm sorry you either fly with too many guys that live in Memphis or this is from your time on the Bus. There's zero leverage with this game.

For those of us not at your shop, what’s the readers digest version of the DH issues?

Doesn't really matter though. As an ANC based MD FO I'm not sure I even know what these front end or backend deadheads y'all speak of are all about.

For those of us not at your shop, what’s the readers digest version of the DH issues?

It would not be uncommon in a bidpack to have 50+ seats on an MEM-ATL (or any connecting city) deadhead. If everyone actually took their scheduled deadhead it would cause some chaos. However, most people are commuters and cancel that ticket and do their own thing to get into position.

I mean if I'm ask to go save the day in a 737 a few things should be considered, I'm probably 4 G&Ts in and I'm definitely using Flaps 2.
Being wasted could actually help with the 7-3. You’d more easily be able to forget all the fancy stuff from newer airframes and just fly it like a big 172, which is basically what it is.

Back