Passing time

What's the dumbest thing you ever did while being an aviation fuel transfer tech?

Well, glad you asked DE.

When I was 16, I was refueling the Jet A truck via single point. I kinda forgot to disconnect the single point before I drove the truck away. I yanked the hose off of the big tank. There was some sort of safety valve that prevented a major fuel spill, but the hardest phone call I've ever made, to this day, was to my boss telling him what I did.

That was back in 1977, and I'm a UPS Capt today, but thinking about that still sends chills up my spine.....

What's the dumbest thing you ever did while being an aviation fuel transfer tech?

Well, glad you asked DE.

When I was 16, I was refueling the Jet A truck via single point. I kinda forgot to disconnect the single point before I drove the truck away. I yanked the hose off of the big tank. There was some sort of safety valve that prevented a major fuel spill, but the hardest phone call I've ever made, to this day, was to my boss telling him what I did.

That was back in 1977, and I'm a UPS Capt today, but thinking about that still sends chills up my spine.....

Ouch. I'm always afraid of doing that so I always double check to make sure everything is unhooked properly. At least it wasn't an aircraft.

Sorry for taking so long...

but no I do not. We have a full time guy that only details and I try and help him out. I have mentioned this to my Manager and he says he is going to talk to the GM.

Oh okay, I asked because there is no way I would take an hourly wage to wash an airplane. Good on you for helping out though!

Well, glad you asked DE.

Maybe it was YOU that inspired the brake interlocks on the trucks nowadays. :) You CAN'T drive away with the hose attached now because when the little door for the single point is open, it kicks in the brakes and won't let you put it into gear. And if you have the PTO running, it won't let you put it into gear either. The only thing now that you can do is drive away while a single point hose is still attached to the aircraft. You can't drive away unless the nozzles are in their holsters.

There HAVE been times, though, that I'm sitting there wondering WHY I can't go anywhere despite that big huge red light glaring at me.

Cheers!

BHB has golf carts. They will haul too. Fast enough to get you in trouble.

One was out of commission for the last part of the season, whoops.

All but one of the girls were old enough to be my mother. The young one was very taken.

Line guys seem to always be creative when there are no planes, especially on weekends with no management. :panic:

Line guys seem to always be creative when there are no planes, especially on weekends with no management. :panic:

Tell me about it. On a really windy day (30+ kts), one of our guys took a roller chair out on the ramp along with two of those big plastic tub lids. He put one on his legs and held one in the air. He got moving pretty good across the ramp....Until he ran into the hangar.

And then their's the land speed record on the service roads with the van, but we won't go there.

As far as vehicles are concerned, we have two vans used for hauling baggage, picking up crews, among other things. Those are our fastest. We used to have a Golf Cart, but it's dead and sitting in a very dead corner of our hangar.

Us night owls, we do it right.

Playstation 2 playing Madden all 8 hours of the shift.
Watching movies, eating food, going on the internet.

Sleeping for a few hours.quote]

Sleeping! Video Games....where do i sign up! Rarley do i go through a shift where i get to sit down. Seems there is always something that needs a wash or sweeping.

Back