JFK incursion - it’s like they’re not even trying anymore

So speaking of knowing and understanding...

Regardless of when the coordination took place, the proper time to cross 4L/22R is immediately after a heavy jet departs and that is what the expectation should be. The SWR was an A330 (CWT-B) and the next aircraft in line (not depicted on the video but its on flightradar24) was a RPA E170 (CWT-G). The required wake turbulence separation is 5NM which means it is the perfect time to coordinate a crossing, crossing in front of the SWR would not have made sense for the situation.

The reason the SWR requested K3 intersection departure is because he was able to cut the line, it would have been more than 6 minutes had he waited in line for a full-length departure.

Me too. But that may be asking a lot, and I'd much rather triage the important stuff. I'm happy to have the conversation about the history of it with them, but it isn't going to make for a better/safer/smoother flight.

Precisely.

To add, I’ve read tons of accident reports/ articles. I’ve been exposed to tons of accident analysis reports/ animations in a variety of training events. But if someone asked me about the Cerritos disaster or PSA at San Diego I’d have a blank stare. Oh! You mean the ones where they crashed into GA planes? Yeah I know that one. United 232? Uh… oh! The Al Haynes one? Yeah, I know that one.

The 410 guys.
The Cargo one about dive and drive non-precision approaches.
The ran out of fuel focusing on the wrong emergency/CRM one.
Etc.

Ona side note, I think keeping up - and especially accident history - is important for airline pilots. I’m finding out FOs I fly with, I’ll mention something like the Cerritos disaster in the 80s that led to TCAS. Crickets. How about PSA at San Diego? Crickets. And some of them were born in Cali in the 90s.

I dunno. I kinda find it disheartening.
Why is that even relevant? It's like needed to know where the seatbelt laws come from.

Yeah I'm not sure any of that is really required reading, so to speak. I educate myself because I think the topic is interesting, and I do feel like historical perspective can sometimes be important. And of course there might be some scenario, where things are about to go sideways, where someone might think "hey I've seen this before in an NTSB report and it didn't end well".......but most likely, probably not, most of the time. Either way, I do feel like it gives me some extra knowledge beyond what is required of me. I say that as an FO though, so I'm quite possibly wrong of course

Why is that even relevant? It's like needed to know where the seatbelt laws come from.

Well, not to know that TCAS came out of it.

In that particular case, it was us going to SFO, with me flying, and the FO just blurted out traffic in sight when I’m going for 28L, for traffic going to 28R. Not cool IMO. As PM, I never call approach traffic in sight , until I point it out to the PF and ask him/her, you got it and want me to call it in sight?

Turned out, FO had wrong airplane in sight that he (we) called. It took us a bit to find the actual correct airplane.

Anyway.

I just think knowing accidents throughout history, and why they happened, allows you to learn about it and how to prevent the misfortune that ended their lives. Everything is written in blood. May as well learn from theirs.

At least the Swiss don't have to limp d* back to the gate due to the emotional trauma ... nah, give us an intersection departure and we good to go.

Severe, severe :sarcasm: here. I'm actually surprised an aircraft that heavy could just go back and try again.

If the ADS-B data is to be believed, they were only going 20 knots when they aborted.

At least the Swiss don't have to limp d* back to the gate due to the emotional trauma ... nah, give us an intersection departure and we good to go.

Severe, severe :sarcasm: here. I'm actually surprised an aircraft that heavy could just go back and try again.

They signed the release. THEY KNEW WHAT THEY WERE GETTING INTO.

I say, force them to fly!

;)

Spicy. What happened?

It's been a while, but we got some sort of fault pertaining to elevator power (ACS fault? I can't remember) , I see Master Caution and then *BOOM* I'm smashed against my shoulder belts as the captain shouted "abort i have the aircraft". We really didn't have a lot of guidance on that and it was one of those (usual) nuisance faults on taxi-out.

We took the high speed, FDX got sent around for FOD on the runway and then it dawned on me that one of the tires disintegrated, threw chunks into the engine nacelle, foded an engine-out and here come the fire trucks.

Back