Is it really as grim as they say?

At one point the Majors were getting close to a thousand applicants any time they posted. If they were hiring a class of 20, they would probably interview 80ish. So 8% of applications got an interview and 2% were offered the job.
Thanks for that info. Those numbers help put things into perspective. I agree with many on here. Everything in the aviation industry is cyclical, so why would the dispatch hiring market be anything different? If truly you enjoy dispatching, and you keep sharpening your hard (technical) and soft (people) skills and are patient, eventually your time will come. By the way, I'm preaching those words to myself as well. LOL.

Taking advice (or taking things seriously) from Reddit is a bad life plan. Better plan is asking this question at a place like this, where people aren't all neckbeards living in their mom's basement with no actual life experience.
Bruh. The number of neckbeard man-children at my current job is hilarious. They literally sound like a pack of 12 year olds. And they wonder why they are stuck and no one likes them. Reddit is not real life.

Bruh. The number of neckbeard man-children at my current job is hilarious. They literally sound like a pack of 12 year olds. And they wonder why they are stuck and no one likes them. Reddit is not real life.

haha that would make me lose my mind. However, your username is amazing haha :)

They're everywhere. I had one in my dispatch class, believe it or not. The class I took was a 12 week class. 4 hours a day, the first 6 weeks of which were dedicated to ADX prep. After the ADX, these two guys joined our class. Both of whom had failed their practical in the class before ours but were somehow welcomed back to give it another go. So the 6 of us who had been in class had a good bond at this point, and the new guys fit in okay except the one "neckbeard" old guy started making some comments like "The two girls in this class will be hired long before either of us" since we were both white males. Then started making comments that the regionals are more interested in filling "quotas." and that dispatch as a profession has caused him disillusionment because neither EDV or CPZ would offer him an interview. Keep in mind, the guy had failed his practical and did not even have a certificate.

I was hired in the class before the 2 girls (both of whom are incredibly good dispatchers who need no "quota" to earn a position). Neckbeard failed his practical again and was not allowed a third try. I'm sure he hates dispatch and dispatchers now.

Then some of these nuts actually get to a regional but wonder why they're not moving up. They literally think just being a dispatcher for 2 years is enough and you don't have to spend the time building real connections with people and also learning your craft. Most of these guys give the most janky turnovers, have no real understanding of the field, the industry at all. Or if they do know what they're talking about, they're just also insufferable to be around.

I don’t have much to say on the topic of the outlook of this profession, personally I’m optimistic about my prospects. Whether I’ll be moving on at the end of this year or 5 years from now, who’s to say.

I will say this though: This is the first job I’ve had where I don’t absolutely hate my life at the end of the day and I don’t dread coming into work. That, to me, is worth its weight in gold.

Holy crap that’s a lot of applicants.
I know getting to a major will be hard, I’ll cross that bridge when I get there lol. Right now I want a job doing dispatching somewhere. I have a tier list of regionals I want to work at but honestly any of them will do (except Horizon because my partner and I would not be able to afford to live there.)

These replies have really given me a confidence boost, I was pretty close to jumping ship but honestly these responses are getting me re hyped about this as a career opportunity!
PSA...the cost of living in Dayton is deceptively high.

You look online and see cheap housing...but when you get here and go look at it...most of the "cheap" housing feels like it is in a war zone.

And on that subject...you're going to need a household income of at least $35 an hour to live here...so your partner will need a job making at least $15 an hour. jobs are hard to find here.

You look online and see cheap housing...but when you get here and go look at it...most of the "cheap" housing feels like it is in a war zone.

And on that subject...you're going to need a household income of at least $35 an hour to live here...so your partner will need a job making at least $15 an hour. jobs are hard to find here.
She does, she actually makes more money than me currently and her job is in need literally everywhere lmao, most places will probably result in an increase tbh.
I’ve looked at housing pretty much everywhere, and my dad grew up in Dayton so I consulted him when it came to there and the cost of living there is almost the same/slightly cheaper than where i currently live and both of us will end up making more than we do now.

I lived in Dayton for 15 years and worked at PSA for almost 4. Of all the places you could get a regional job, Dayton by far has the lowest cost of living. When I moved up to mainline, I moved out of a decent 4 bd 3 bth 2400 Sq ft house. The house we moved into in DFW is 3 bd 2 bth, 1400 Sq ft and $600 more per month in rent.

I lived in Dayton for 15 years and worked at PSA for almost 4. Of all the places you could get a regional job, Dayton by far has the lowest cost of living. When I moved up to mainline, I moved out of a decent 4 bd 3 bth 2400 Sq ft house. The house we moved into in DFW is 3 bd 2 bth, 1400 Sq ft and $600 more per month in rent.
that was a decade ago.
today, the cost of living is roughly equal to living in the Valley in southern california.
Gas: $3.50 a gallon
Rent on that 4 bed, 3 bath is going to be at least $2000 a month.

We live in Kettering and it's $1240 a month for a 2 bed, 1 bath.

The cost of living has gone up exponentially here because there's a shortage of safe housing.

that was a decade ago.
today, the cost of living is roughly equal to living in the Valley in southern california.

The cost of living has gone up exponentially here because there's a shortage of safe housing.
1. No, that was not a decade ago. It was less than 2 years ago. But thanks for trying to tell me when I last lived in the Dayton area. 😂
2. The rent on that same house is still about $800 less than the rent I'm paying on a 3bd 2bth in the DFW area.
3. Saying the cost of living in the Dayton area is "roughly equal" to anywhere in California is hilariously out of touch with reality. If you think it costs too much to live in Kettering, I strongly suggest you don't leave the Dayton area. You're in for a real shock!
4. The cost of living is going up everywhere. If you think it's going up too fast in Dayton, just imagine how much faster it is rising in areas where people actually want to live. 😂

Last edited:
that was a decade ago.

A very quick Google search shows average gas in southern California is $5.28/gal and your 2 bed, 1 bath would $2900/month.

1. No, that was not a decade ago. It was less than 2 years ago. But thanks for trying to tell me when I last lived in the Dayton area.
2. The rent on that same house is still about $800 less than the rent I'm paying on a 3bd 2bth in the DFW area.
3. Saying the cost of living in the Dayton area is "roughly equal" to anywhere in California is hilariously out of touch with reality. If you think it costs too much to live in Kettering, I strongly suggest you don't leave the Dayton area. You're in for a real shock!
4. The cost of living is going up everywhere. If you think it's going to fast in Dayton, just imagine how much faster it is rising in areas where people actually want to live.

I see the point of cost of living = standard of living.

But perhaps when moving to DFW to make twice the money, it should be taken into account that the higher cost of living will factor out of the paycheck.

I imagine then that all of the $81k JetBlue starts you at goes to bills and that’s IF you’re lucky enough to even find a place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But perhaps when moving to DFW to make twice the money, it should be taken into account that the higher cost of living will factor out of the paycheck.

I imagine then that all of the $81k JetBlue starts you at goes to bills and that’s IF you’re lucky enough to even find a place.

Yes, working for mainline in DFW makes my standard of living better. But my point was, when looking at locations of regionals, Dayton is the lowest cost of living area. If someone thinks it is hard to live in Dayton on regional pay, they should definitely not try to go to Envoy or Endeavor.

Yeah if you’re living in Manhattan. And if you do, that’s on you.

I would prolly work for a regional airline than work for JetBlue (unless your already in NY area or you could live with loved ones)

JetBlue should start out at 100k at least (especially in long island city areas lol )

I would prolly work for a regional airline than work for JetBlue (unless your already in NY area or you could live with loved ones)

JetBlue should start out at 100k at least (especially in long island city areas lol )

Yeah they need to increase the first few years pay. The mid to high scale is still good money especially for the suburbs though

Back