Copa Airlines

Does copa pay for you to go to Panama for the interview?
They fly you down from any city that Copa flies to, cover your hotel and airport transfers and one meal a day (I think). I interviewed like a year+ ago and that was the case.

Yes, US citizens get a polygraph; it's no big deal. You get questions like: Have you smuggled drugs, laundered money, lied on your application? They definitely do not do PRIA but, will require an employment verification letter on company letterhead and two letters of recommendation from Chief Pilots/Supervisors.
Ok so, I've never taken a polygraph or smuggled drugs for that matter, but just the fact that I would be asked that question knowing I am being tested if I'm lying makes me nervous. How can they tell if youre just nervous or lying. My heart would be racing a million miles a minute.

Ok so, I've never taken a polygraph or smuggled drugs for that matter, but just the fact that I would be asked that question knowing I am being tested if I'm lying makes me nervous. How can they tell if youre just nervous or lying. My heart would be racing a million miles a minute.

It was my first (and only) polygraph and it was really nerve wracking. Not because I have anything shady in my past but you're in a straight back chair that is not comfortable, you have a wire tight around your midsection, two sensors on your fingers and a blood pressure cuff. You're in this guy's office who is former DEA and not a personable guy (as you'd imagine). My heart was pumping and you can feel your pulse as you're sitting there and I started to get self conscious of it haha. Then the questions they asked were really oddly worded, two in particular stood out to me.

The first being "is there anything embarrassing to you or the company", to which most would answer "no", but what are they asking really? Who hasnt had some embarrassing moments in their life, but how is that relevant to a job interview. The other question was "have you EVER done drugs like marijuana, cocaine, etcetera". Now you can't lumps weed in with coke like that, nor using the word "ever", it could have been a decade ago in someone's youth. Like the other poster mentioned they ask about drug smuggling, lying about your flight time, narco trafficking and other silly questions.

This was like two years ago now so this may be old news, but overall the Copa experience was a good one. I got zero feedback on why I didnt get the job but to be honest I was working at XJT at the time and didnt really need a new job, just went for the experience. At this point in my life going there would be a step down, but for a dude at a US regional looking for an adventure I would say go for it! As long as you get paid on time and enjoy what you do, who cares!

It was my first (and only) polygraph and it was really nerve wracking. Not because I have anything shady in my past but you're in a straight back chair that is not comfortable, you have a wire tight around your midsection, two sensors on your fingers and a blood pressure cuff. You're in this guy's office who is former DEA and not a personable guy (as you'd imagine). My heart was pumping and you can feel your pulse as you're sitting there and I started to get self conscious of it haha. Then the questions they asked were really oddly worded, two in particular stood out to me.

The first being "is there anything embarrassing to you or the company", to which most would answer "no", but what are they asking really? Who hasnt had some embarrassing moments in their life, but how is that relevant to a job interview. The other question was "have you EVER done drugs like marijuana, cocaine, etcetera". Now you can't lumps weed in with coke like that, nor using the word "ever", it could have been a decade ago in someone's youth. Like the other poster mentioned they ask about drug smuggling, lying about your flight time, narco trafficking and other silly questions.

This was like two years ago now so this may be old news, but overall the Copa experience was a good one. I got zero feedback on why I didnt get the job but to be honest I was working at XJT at the time and didnt really need a new job, just went for the experience. At this point in my life going there would be a step down, but for a dude at a US regional looking for an adventure I would say go for it! As long as you get paid on time and enjoy what you do, who cares!
Interesting. I did the regionals for 10 years as well. I met the COPA recruiter at an event 6 months ago and have his contact info. I've been thinking of applying but the 6-9 months of training scares me.(ADD) I have my 737 type, not sure if that makes a difference.

Interesting. I did the regionals for 10 years as well. I met the COPA recruiter at an event 6 months ago and have his contact info. I've been thinking of applying but the 6-9 months of training scares me.(ADD) I have my 737 type, not sure if that makes a difference.
You have to ask @sideous about the importance of 737 type, I imagine it doesnt matter. You would be converting your ICAO license to a Panamanian one and getting their 737NG type on that. Also, apply for the job..all this posturing over "what if" doesnt mean squat unless you apply AND then get offered an interview.

Everyone was nervous going in there and my heart was beating fast too. They take a baseline reading on your nervous heart rate and breathing by warming up with simple questions like "is your name Jon". It's really not that big of a deal.

As far as the long training goes.. You're getting paid, have a free place to live and your only job is to study. After three months you can leave the country and go home for a week or two at a time between training events. Most of the time you'll have nothing scheduled. It's frustrating because of the uncertainty but, you can relax and enjoy all the free time since you already know it takes that long. You quickly make up for lost hours in your logbook by flying 83+ hours per month after training.

You don't have to accept the job or an interview if they offer it to you. You could put an application in, come down and interview just to see if you would like it here. If Copa doesn't pass YOUR interview then tell them no thanks.

You have to ask @sideous about the importance of 737 type, I imagine it doesnt matter. You would be converting your ICAO license to a Panamanian one and getting their 737NG type on that..

Yep, the 737 type won't make a difference in the interview as an FO. If you have time in type then the training will be easier but other than that it doesn't make a difference. I meet new guys with under 500 hrs who just walked out of a Cessna 2 weeks ago and are in training. If they can do it then anyone can.

Also, like @Skåning said, if you think you're interested then apply. Some guys never get called and are perfectly qualified. Others get a call in 2 weeks. You never know and you never will unless you make that choice.

Back