Big airport vs small airport.

rnodal

Hello all:

I want to get a second job and I would like that second job to be at an airport. I live "near" Newark (KEWR) airport and Teterboro (KTEB) airport and I was wondering what would be better in terms of opportunities to make connections. The small airport of the big airport? Also what kind of shifts there are? My current job ends at 5:00pm so I would like to work starting between 6:00pm-7:00pm (time need to get to airport more or less). How may hours of work are you normaly required? Your input would be greatly appreciated.:)

Our FBO was on the west coast at a Class D airport that was fairly busy. It was a high end FBO with quite a bit of private jets going in and out. Our shift were 8 hours of work time with the first starting at 5:30-14:00, the second 13:30-22:00, and graveyard from 21:30-6:00. I think this a fairly standard schedule for 24 hour operations as we were.

I would recommend a medium size airport for the best connections. If you are at a small airport, you will probably be fueling the local flight school planes and not get much other traffic. At a large airport, the FBO may be in charge of fueling the airliners. We did for a little bit and then a competitor FBO outbid us for the contracts. With airlines also come ground equipment (belt loaders, stair carts, baggage tugs, GPUs). We had a truck that pumped auto gas and diesel and were contracted to fuel the airline's ground equipment for some time. That was an interesting aspect of the line job. As for a medium size airport, you will probably get the most corporate jets (the type I wanted to make connections with).

You didn't specify what type of connections you want to get, but I hope this information is useful for you. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your response. I want to build connections with other pilots and I thought that if I went to a big airport that it would be kind of hard to do it since everything is pretty much non-stop. It seems that a medium size airport is the way to go. Thanks a lot.:)

I echo what SoCalPilotGuy said. I work at DuPage Airport (KDPA), and it's a medium size airport as well. I make A LOT of contacts, even if a majority of them are FlexJet and NetJet pilots (Which doesn't do a student pilot with 11.3 hours all THAT much good at this point), but you're also getting to know the corporate aviation world pretty well.

It's busy enough to keep you running all the time, but it doesn't overwhelm you like if you were at O'Hare or somewhere like that.

But get in a job wherever you can, regardless of how large the airport is to get your feet wet. If a medium-size airport isn't hiring while a smaller one is, don't pass that up either.

Cheers!

rnadal, I also live in NJ, if you think about a medium size airport, try TEB.

Lots o traffic, yet not that huge and the have about 4 FBO's on the feild to choose from.

I cant wait to apply in the next 2 years or so being that I am only 16:(, but I think TEB is a great medium size airport in our region!

rnadal, I also live in NJ, if you think about a medium size airport, try TEB.

Lots o traffic, yet not that huge and the have about 4 FBO's on the feild to choose from.

I cant wait to apply in the next 2 years or so being that I am only 16:(, but I think TEB is a great medium size airport in our region!

That was I was thinking. I know that it is not as big as Newark International Airport but at least gets a decent amount of traffic. I'll though follow the advice that I got. If I don't get hired in TEB then my next stop would be Newark:rawk:. Thanks all for taking the time to share.

That was I was thinking. I know that it is not as big as Newark International Airport but at least gets a decent amount of traffic. I'll though follow the advice that I got. If I don't get hired in TEB then my next stop would be Newark:rawk:. Thanks all for taking the time to share.

Yeah, I'd go to TEB its gold mine for networking.

TEB is pretty damn busy y'all.

Just a little price in the name of Networking;)

Yeah, I'd go to TEB its gold mine for networking.

:yeahthat: Exactly why as soon as I turn 18 I am going to apply to EVERY fbo there! Including MAC DAN aviation in Caldwell (coincidentally right next to the Flight School I am going to start training at) and if that does not work out, then to JFK,LGA, or EWR I go!:)

Oh btw what is the name of the job position where you drive around a large airport with a plane following you that does not know where it is going?

I can't way to apply at TEB. I just need to get my resume in. And based on what I have read, visiting the place would not be bad idea. You need more than just send your resume, you got to show interest. :nana2:

I can't way to apply at TEB. I just need to get my resume in. And based on what I have read, visiting the place would not be bad idea. You need more than just send your resume, you got to show interest. :nana2:

yup yup, btw how old are you?

I'm 21 and wish I was younger already :crazy:. What school are you planning on going btw? I was thinking Century Air.

Sweet, let us know how it goes.

I'm waiting to finish college and then get like two jobs so I can make enough money to pay for training. I really don't want to get into any loans. But will see what happens. One thing is what you plan for and another is what really happens. I will report back as I go.

If the airport is too busy, then connections will be difficult to make since you'll be running around like a chicken.

If the airport is too small, then there may not be many connections to make.

However, if you work at an airport long enough you will make connections regardless of size.

If the airport is too busy, then connections will be difficult to make since you'll be running around like a chicken.

If the airport is too small, then there may not be many connections to make.

However, if you work at an airport long enough you will make connections regardless of size.

Thanks for the information. Since me getting hired at may airport of choice is not guaranteed it is good to know that at least there is hope if I have to go somewhere else. Thanks.

A little update.

An opportunity for me to apply for a Job where I currently work at(so it would be an upgrade) that could pay near 50K. So I decided to put all my efforts into getting that job. With that salary I would be able to pay for my training(I think). I still plan on working for a FBO. I picked up two applications like a week ago. I liked both places so I'm hoping that they take people for Saturdays and Sundays only even if it means I have to work all day long. I don't know, we'll see what happens. Also, in the application they ask me "salary requirement". Any suggestion to what put there? I don't want to ask to much but neither get abused. Any suggestion on last point would be loved.

Thanks all.

Back