"With Request"

mhcasey

Hey guys/gals,

I'm working on my instrument rating and everytime I'm heading back into Austin I give approach the usual "C1234...C1234 go ahead...1234 172 location altitude inbound full stop with info X and request..."

My question...would it be alright to just go through everything and at the end throw in "...with info X request the ILS rwy 17L?" It's not really a whole lot more, though I guess it wouldn't really save anytime over the freq since they still have to establish radar contact and what not...

Your thoughts?

I'm not ATC, but I was taught that if ATC is busy and you're VFR, then you ask for "VFR request." That way they know you're VFR and they'll take you when they can. Otherwise, if they're not busy, just go ahead and ask for what you want. Saves time on the radio if they don't have to come back and say, "Cessna 1234 say request."

If you gave them an initial call and they have responded with "Cessna 1234, go ahead" or something similar, then go ahead and tell them everything that you want at the next transmission. All the standard stuff and whatever your request may be. You already have their attention so there is no need to waste more time and bandwidth to do a third transmission. It would break up the flow for them to be making notes on you, then have to pause, then come back to whatever your special request is. Do it in one shot.

PanJet said:
I'm not ATC, but I was taught that if ATC is busy and you're VFR, then you ask for "VFR request." That way they know you're VFR and they'll take you when they can. Otherwise, if they're not busy, just go ahead and ask for what you want. Saves time on the radio if they don't have to come back and say, "Cessna 1234 say request."

Fair enough, but if you're IFR and you're just picking up a flight plan or checking in they know you're coming.

It's purely a judgement call on the part of the pilot... if you come up on freq and things don't sound too busy you can add information. There is really no right or wrong way to do things, it really comes down to judgement on your part. Generally when we tell a VFR A/C go ahead after initial call up we are listening carefully because we often expect to get a fair amount of information and adding a request such as a rwy or specific approach only gives us a better picture of what your intentions are. Often we have to coordinate many requests with other sectors or facilities so the extra info does help.

I'll put in my two cents on how the military does things since you are only as good as you sound on the radio and comm brevity is the goal.

VFR - "Mobile Approach, Buck 321 VFR 20 miles north of Mobile request"
"Buck 321, Radar contact 20 miles north of Mobile say request"
"Buck 321 request......"

IFR - "Mobile Approach, Buck 321, 16 thousand, information Golf, Request"
"Buck 321 go ahead with request"

If approach is not busy then just use judgement and add in "request ILS full stop" In our case they know who we are by our callsign and usually what we want so we can get away with throwing everything in on one call.

Well the verdict is out: at least in Austin, the controllers are pretty cool about just throwing it all in there at once.

As for the "VFR Request," I think it's probably redundant per reasons stated above.

I'm beginning to think conrollers are a lot more laid back than we give them credit for. Also, the female controller in Austin has a beautiful voice. Anybody know her?

Back