VA Claim?

BravoHotel

Does anyone in the community have a good resource on VA claims and the FAA? I just clicked over 19 years in and I initiated the VA claim process.

We are automatically enrolled as ALPA members... but have you thought about talking to AMAS? $70 I think for talking to them. They are my first call for anything related to my medical. (Along with my Union's aeromedical committee... and in your case probably Mil Affairs.)

One of my crashpad-mates is a certain % "disabled" which is going to affect his retirement bennies and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how he was able to maintain that file with the VA and his current medical... but that's why we have AMAS to navigate that minefield.

We are automatically enrolled as ALPA members... but have you thought about talking to AMAS? $70 I think for talking to them. They are my first call for anything related to my medical. (Along with my Union's aeromedical committee... and in your case probably Mil Affairs.)

One of my crashpad-mates is a certain % "disabled" which is going to affect his retirement bennies and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how he was able to maintain that file with the VA and his current medical... but that's why we have AMAS to navigate that minefield.

Thanks. My shop is non-union, but I have heard other people regard AMAS highly concerning other aeromedical services.

Wingman Med seems to be quite popular with those in your situation. While I haven't used Wingman Med, but from personal experience as long as your VA claims are not part of a disqualifying condition, report it as needed. OKC might ask for more records - say you have a claim for burns/ scars or orthopedic injuries and that'll be the end of it. However, if you are receiving 100% for PTSD or limb loss, you'll have some hurdles to get through and need to disclose it.

Just remember, if you receive disability benefits and don't report it, it won't go well.

Yeah, probably want to look out for claims that would get you in trouble with the FAA. But I'm sure you are smart enough to know this.

I believe the cutoff is 50% rating, where less than that, and your retirement pension will be pro-rated. You won't lose money, but they will take the amount you receive in disability out of your paycheck of the month. More than 50%, and you get to keep both, i.e. double dip. I think this process is a lot more seamless than it is for reservists/guardspeople, but I'm not sure. Anyway, congrats and good luck! Let me know what you find, I still haven't done mine, unfortunately I never bothered when I left active duty.

Back