Thinking about trying aviation for a second time

cbranda2

Hello, fellow aviators!

I'm 38 years old, and I've been a software engineer for almost 10 years. I'm beyond burned out. The tech industry is not sustainable as you get older unless you become a manager and allow your skills to degrade. Even though I do enjoy writing software, I dislike everything else. (Useless meetings, change of priorities, corporate politics...)

I have bachelors degree from a 141 university program and was lucky enough to get some jet time flying a BeechJet 400 in Brazil as SIC. I graduated right after the great recession so aviation was extremely difficult and I decided to become a developer.

I need a couple hundred hours to get to R-ATP minutes. I'm thinking of reinstating my CFI and buying some block time (100/200hrs) to sharpen my skills again. Leaving my job to instruct full-time is a risk that I would rather only take if I absolutely have to. I would be willing to leave for corporate or part 135.

I understand things are not as good as they were two years ago, but they certainly seem much better than when I was flying. Regional pilots are now making a livable wage.

I don't have kids, and my expenses are quite low, except for a sports car that I plan on selling.

Do you have any recommendations on how to build time or how I should approach this situation?

I did the same thing at age 38. Just crossed the 1500 hour mark. Hindsight being 20/20, I would have gotten my CFI AND purchased an airplane. There were plenty of days where it was nice to fly and I didn't have a student or I could have flown with students during the day and logged an extra hour or so at night with my airplane.

I did the same thing at age 38. Just crossed the 1500 hour mark. Hindsight being 20/20, I would have gotten my CFI AND purchased an airplane. There were plenty of days where it was nice to fly and I didn't have a student or I could have flown with students during the day and logged an extra hour or so at night with my airplane.
I'm fortunate to be a member of a flying club. I will definitely try to fly at night. Congrats on the 1500TT let me know how it goes!

Back