RIP Richard G “Dick” Rutan

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
1 July 1938 - 3 May 2024

LtCol Dick Rutan has passed away, a USAF officer who was an icon in civilian aviation. Beginning his career as a USAF navigator in the McDonnell F-101B Voodoo and Northrop F-89J Scorpion interceptor jets and the Douglas C-124 Globemaster heavy transport.

Being accepted to pilot training in 1966, Rutan graduated from Laughlin AFB and was assigned to the North American F-100D/F Super Sabre in South Vietnam flying both Close Air Support missions as well as Forward Air Control missions, being shot down and rescued once.

Finishing his combat tour with 325 mission, Rutan would continue flying the F-100 for two more years, having to bailout of another one successfully after a malfunction. Transitioning to the LTV A-7D Corsair II, Rutan served in flight test support roles and operational squadron roles at Wright Patterson AFB and Davis-Monthan AFB, retiring as a LtCol in June 1978.

Rutan then undertook his most well known role, serving as test pilot for aeronautical engineer brother Burt Rutan’s aircraft designs, eventually culminating in the non-stop around the world flight of the Voyager aircraft from 14-23 December 1986 setting multiple records on the flight that was just under 25,000 miles. Rutan also test flew the LongEZ and other designs.

Rutan was enshrined in the National Aviation Hall of Fame in 2002. Rutan also earned the Bleriot medal twice, the Collier trophy, and the Presidential Citizens medal. Military decorations include the Silver Star, the Distinguished Flying Cross with Valor device x 5, Air Medal x 16, and the Purple Heart.

Mojave Air and Space port in California is named Rutan Field, after brothers Richard and Burt Rutan.

IMG_5371.jpeg

Imagine flying around the world nonstop in a very confined space with a girlfriend you'd just had a contentious breakup with, I'm not sure what medal he deserves but it deserves recognition of some sort. Balls of steel. The internet is forever and some of the documentaries, especially the more recent ones, are enlightening about that flight and available on YouTube. Or you can read a more sanitized version...

This conversation is interesting...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_OKHosMy_Q

Imagine flying around the world nonstop in a very confined space with a girlfriend you'd just had a contentious breakup with, I'm not sure what medal he deserves but it deserves recognition of some sort.

It’s funny because I remember hearing all about the Voyager trip when I was a kid in the years shortly after the flight. I’d always thought she was his wife. Never knew about any of this at all until maybe a year or two ago. Pretty wild!

It’s funny because I remember hearing all about the Voyager trip when I was a kid in the years shortly after the flight. I’d always thought she was his wife. Never knew about any of this at all until maybe a year or two ago. Pretty wild!

The brothers ended up suing her over her selling memorabilia related to the flight.

Rutan didn’t get to log his 216 hour non-stop, around the world flight in Voyager in his logbook as cross-country, since they took off from and landed back at the same airport. :) :)
this is something that wouldn't surprise me based on the FAR's

It counts toward ATP but not toward other ratings or toward 135 mins, if I’m remembering correctly and if it hasn’t changed since I stopped needing to track it

Could you imagine the Facebook post about time building if it took place today. “Looking to split 200 hours multi time out of California, PM me for details,”

The brothers ended up suing her over her selling memorabilia related to the flight.
I saw Burt and him at Oshkosh’15. It seemed that their recounting of Jeana Yeagers contribution to that flight was much less charitable, than earlier accounts I had seen.

I saw Burt and him at Oshkosh’15. It seemed that their recounting of Jeana Yeagers contribution to that flight was much less charitable, than earlier accounts I had seen.
I did some googling and it seemed like she had just gotten her pilots license a few years prior, with no test pilot or relevant work experience. Wondering why she was on the flight or was it just the girlfriend factor?

I did some googling and it seemed like she had just gotten her pilots license a few years prior, with no test pilot or relevant work experience. Wondering why she was on the flight or was it just the girlfriend factor?

Weight and balance envelope?

She was not an unattractive lady and somebody had to fly when Dick was sleeping. I'd imagine they would've landed in Hawaii if two fighter pilots were trying to share such tight quarters. If their romantic relationship hadn't fractured just prior to the flight I doubt it would've lasted until they landed. Maybe the friction between them is what allowed the flight to succeed, they knew they already disliked each other before they closed the canopy.

She was not an unattractive lady and somebody had to fly when Dick was sleeping. I'd imagine they would've landed in Hawaii if two fighter pilots were trying to share such tight quarters. If their romantic relationship hadn't fractured just prior to the flight I doubt it would've lasted until they landed. Maybe the friction between them is what allowed the flight to succeed, they knew they already disliked each other before they closed the canopy.

Failed relationships can bring out the worst in folks. I don’t need all the details.

Failed relationships can bring out the worst in folks. I don’t need all the details.
Some people are very critical of Dick as a person in and out of the cockpit. I never met him or his brother that I can remember. I think they're both oddballs from what I have heard or read. I think they had a fairly strict upbringing that might've shaped their unique personalities. I recall a story one of the crew on the bearcat told me (before I was working it) that Burt Rutan had invited Lyle and the bearcat up to Mojave for a photo op with the Pond Racer in '91 before the Reno races that year. Lyle agreed and a small crew launched the airplane in KVNY and then another small group met it in Mojave. Remember that in '91 the Rare Bear was at its peak, and unbeknownst to the Scaled Composite folks the airplane was pretty much just doing a test flight before they left for Reno and was turned up with all of the fluids and gases ready to make a max power run to verify some stuff. After he landed they parked the airplanes next to each other for some pictures. There was lots of smiling and shaking hands. And then it was time to go home, Lyle asked the tower if he could make a pass down the runway and considering Mojave isn't exactly a bustling hub of activity they said "sure". (Everything I say from here on out is all hypothetical, is it fiction, is it fact? It's up to you.) He went out a few miles and wound that airplane up to full race power and instead of flying down the runway he flew directly over the ramp where the Pond Racer was sitting at about 100' going really, really fast. The Pond Racer was designed and built to replace the warbirds in the Unlimited class at Reno. I heard after that pass Burt threw his hat on the ground and angrily walked away. Air racing has legends and for the fortunate few who were there this is one of them. I think the airplane left Mojave and flew to Reno but I might be mistaken. In any case that September the bearcat won what many consider the best Gold Unlimited Final ever run.

TLDR: The Rutans might not be as nice as you think.

Back