Reverse vs brakes

The guys who go heavy on the reverse, IMO it's either 1. That they like the sound, 2. it's how they flew something 20 yrs ago or 3. don't really grasp performance / systems. Just speaking for my current fleet....
That is exactly what my dad says, retired Hawker 800 pilot.

I haven't quite figured out a good balance. Sometimes it seems that full beta makes more noise than anything below 80 knots.
You still gotta dig the sound Beta does, specially in PT6's

It's 94 pages. And the controllers up there always have to get the last word in, "roger."
Anything south of Texas and they take the word [Controller] very literal.

The King air full reverse is really weak sauce. Actually anything with a pratt has weak to all but worthless reverse in the TP world.

I like the sound of full reverse on my current jet, so I tend to use it. Autobrakes 2 usually.
Yup, around 400 ft difference IIRC on the F90 on Landing roll. Beta is more than enough to slow you down, but to even it out, use brakes and judgement!!

That is exactly what my dad says, retired Hawker 800 pilot.

You still gotta dig the sound Beta does, specially in PT6's
You've never felt the joyous sound (and feel) of bringing a set of TPE331s condition levers to high, and having some negative pitch in there so you don't rocket forward.

On our jet, we use the buckets as much as practical because our brakes are stupid expensive (much like everything else on the airplane) and very sensitive (we have brake by wire on ours). Over a quarter million bucks if you want a complete brake job and around $20K per pad depending on new vs. overhaul. The buckets are hydraulic on the GIV and when we are slowing for taxi, most crews will keep them out and in idle reverse to avoid that thrust bump mentioned by others.

The hangar where the plane is housed that I fly fire system spontaneously went off one day filling the hangar with flame retardant. The manufacturer recommended that the brakes be replaced for a cool 250 grand.

The hangar where the plane is housed that I fly fire system spontaneously went off one day filling the hangar with flame retardant. The manufacturer recommended that the brakes be replaced for a cool 250 grand.
Just money right? ;) The FBO we keep our jet has had two such incidences this year - thankfully we were gone for both

MD88 max auto brake landing....could be a good decision on a wet or contaminated runway...could be "brace before autobrake engagement impact" landing. It's part of the fun.

Shut up I don't want to hear your comments. Have a seat, shut up, and enjoy the lack of air flow. Aaaahhhhppp, shut up. It'll be 30 below zero by 10k, I promise. If not the FA's will tell me I promise. Twice, before TOC.

Last edited:
Back