Restricted ATP ( R-ATP ) For Military

Thems be fightin words!

While you may "feel the need for speed"... Us....Trash....prefer to think "We are the greatest!"
Hey I'm in the club.

I just hate that we are somehow second class citizens to the fixed wing community when I can't think of anything similar in RW jobs. 2500 total is 2500 total to us.

Hey I'm in the club.

I just hate that we are somehow second class citizens to the fixed wing community when I can't think of anything similar in RW jobs. 2500 total is 2500 total to us.
Well after reading about the way most of the rotor world treats IFR operations (ie, they're not equipped for it and clouds are scary so let's scud run) I can sort of understand the hesitancy especially on the civil side. Mil side I'd think the caliber of aviator that flies helos ought not have any trouble learning but I don't make the hiring policies.

I never understood why RW didn't count towards total time for the purposes of part 121. IMO it seems like every Army or Navy RW sortie has way more going on than what the average regional guy sees in a year. If guys can operate safely in that environment then I'm sure they'll be just fine flying an Airbus.

It is mostly just ignorance that initiates and perpetuates the opinion. You don't have a lot of rotary wing guys in positions of authority and influence at the airlines (and haven't in the past, either), and thus it is tough to introduce or change long-held opinions.

IIRC at Vets In Blue, jetBlue said their policy is a result of one of the chief pilots there who used to be a rotorhead. Apparently he'd spent a lot of time and effort explaining the value and relevance of military helo time to other pilots in senior positions at the company, which had resulted in them exploring hiring more helo guys, which in-turn resulted in them seeing how those guys did in training and on the line.

Given their policy, they must have had good results.

Does anyone know of a good military conversion program?
If my Daughter gets out of the military in the next 2-3 years, what school has a good program?

Not to insult your intelligence, but you didn't leave very much information. Is she a graduate of a formal military flight course and a rated military aviator with an FAA fixed wing CPL?

I would probably wait until closer to 15 months to a year until her separation to start seeing what is out there and where the regs stand (of course it's never too early to start networking to find a civilian job and guard or reserve unit should she choose to go that route) A lot can change in 3 years.

Question (probably a dumb one) for the masses…….military aviator with 1500+ hours, you can just get a normal ATP at that point correct?

Question (probably a dumb one) for the masses…….military aviator with 1500+ hours, you can just get a normal ATP at that point correct?

Yes. You can't mil-comp it, you can only mil-comp a Commercial. But your hours meet the requirements for a normal ATP noted in 14 CFR 61.159; you're eligible for the checkride.

Same reason Helo guys don't get to be CAG.

Rotor trash aren't real people.

I'm not getting out of the military any time soon. I'm just trying to see what my options picture looks like 3-5 years from now when I'm not close enough to retirement to stay in for whatever reason pushing me to leave (family, illness, Not GAF anymore, etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just looked Jet Blues most recent minimums up:

1500 hours total in airplanes (including turbine helo)
500 hours in fixed wing airplanes

How many fixed wing hours do have? It might be worth you getting your commercial airplane and CFI to build your fixed wing hours. There's an overland ISR SIC program at a fairly army centric Company (well they all seem to be Army centric from what I hear) that'll get you to fixed wing ATP mins and pays a living wage that could be an option for you when the time comes.

If, by "just get a normal ATP" you mean that you take a CTP course, take the ATP written, then take a practical ATP checkride, then yes -- you can get an unrestricted ATP.

As MikeD said, there is no way to just take a mil-comp written and get an ATP based entirely on your military experience, no.

Somebody in OKC FAA HQ caught that mil comp only allows a Com, regardless of experience. Of the 3 times my cert was kicked back, being an ATP rotor -> mil comp was one of them.

As far as airline flying, at the regional level all should honor RW time.
Spirit honors RW time aswell.

If, by "just get a normal ATP" you mean that you take a CTP course, take the ATP written, then take a practical ATP checkride, then yes -- you can get an unrestricted ATP.

As MikeD said, there is no way to just take a mil-comp written and get an ATP based entirely on your military experience, no.

Yep, that is what I meant. My question really was if mil only flight time of 1500 hrs TT or more made you eligible for the real deal, or if you still had to do the R-ATP. Not really at all my plan, but I was just curious.

Last edited:
Yep, that is what I meant. My question really was if mil only flight time of 1500 hrs TT or more made you eligible for the real deal, or if you still had to do the R-ATP. Not really at all my plan, but I was just curious.

On a complete side note, I will never understand how guys go from flying god's jets (F/A-18, F-15 etc) and then go on to be content flying an airliner. @Hacker15e

On a complete side note, I will never understand how guys go from flying god's jets (F/A-18, F-15 etc) and then go on to be content flying an airliner. @Hacker15e

To be honest, that sort of flying (fighters) isn't all choker whites and hookers. We'd probably all be in jail if we tried to recreate that culture in the civilian world, but the flying and work aspect is draining probably more so than not. The people and the experiences keep you burning the candle at both ends, but with a family, kids, etc, you start thinking about other things. Personally, I'd like to be part of my little man's memories in the next few years when he actually starts remembering things……….though papa roaring over in a Viper will hopefully be one he will remember long enough to become the 4th generation of jet aviator in the family (don't tell the mrs I said that, she would F**ing kill me).

Last edited:
he looks the part right? :)
12741955_10102371472307396_752552748527524279_n.jpg

Flying a fighter/attack jet: fun as heck.

All the BS of squadron life, the amount of BS before and after required just to fly a 2.5 sortie, and the amount of ancillary BS of collateral duties? Becomes more and more a waste of time as you progress in your career.

Work to Live is what we should be doing. Squadron life is very much Live to Work, which I will not do.

When guys are taking leave days (personal leave days off), and then showing up at the squadron to get paperwork and crap done on those leave days, then something is seriously screwed up. Especially when they're already working expected 14-16 hour days. Rapidly becomes not worth it. At all.

Back