Restricted ATP ( R-ATP ) For Military

I'm not sure how it works right now, but if you're military they're looking for roughly 750 and a pulse, I don't know how long that will last, but I would suspect awhile as long as congress doesn't relax the ATP requirements, and seeing as how congress can't get anything done right now....

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/...tter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter

Looks like they might consider lowering the R-ATP Military mins to 500 hours. Potentially good news for us Guard/Reserve babies looking towards the Regionals. Anyone have any intel on this or an idea on how long it would take for congress to implement this?

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/...tter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter

Looks like they might consider lowering the R-ATP Military mins to 500 hours. Potentially good news for us Guard/Reserve babies looking towards the Regionals. Anyone have any intel on this or an idea on how long it would take for congress to implement this?

My intel is that Reserve babies are going to be required to do 4 years GS/until AC upgrade after getting back to their home squadron so that even if this does happen, the bodies won't be available.

Don't worry about it. We ended up including taxi time(which I remembered the Air Force doesn't count) and my "other time" which brought the total to above 1500 so we just did the full ATP.

When you say "we" ended-up including taxi time, was this you and the company who hired you, the FSDO, the evaluator, or what?

I'm in a similar situation, but on the low end. I have 650 hours straight Mil time, but with a conversion number for taxi I'm above the 750 min to do the ATP/CTP... Any help would be appreciated.

Can any of you former army aviators on the forum speak to the lifestyle change of going from the military to the airlines? Are you happy with your decision?

I finished my degree at a 141 college in the time frame where no one was hiring and ended up falling into the warrant officer program and I love flying this aircraft however The day to day life is not what I envisioned it would be. I still have some time left on my ADSO but am already at almost 900 hours here. Reality trying to start gathering information to begin researching what I an going to do. Thanks for any input.

Can any of you former army aviators on the forum speak to the lifestyle change of going from the military to the airlines? Are you happy with your decision?

Not an Army guy, but a retired AF pilot, and the lifestyle change going to the airlines is dramatic and wonderful.

While on active duty in the military, your entire life is prioritized around your job; it determines where you live, how hard you work, when you are at home, etc. Everything in your life (including what you like to do for recreation, hobbies, etc) is shoehorned in around what Uncle Sam determines for you.

In the airlines, the opposite is true. Your life is your life, and flying for the airlines is just something you do (something that is substantially easier than flying for the military!) to pay the bills and which allows you to live where you choose and live whatever lifestyle you choose.

There is a lot that is different about airline life, and it takes a bit to adapt to from the military (and a few don't like the differences, to be fair), but it is so completely worth the switch.

Don't worry about it. We ended up including taxi time(which I remembered the Air Force doesn't count) and my "other time" which brought the total to above 1500 so we just did the full ATP.
When you say "we" ended-up including taxi time, was this you and the company who hired you, the FSDO, the evaluator, or what?

I'm in a similar situation, but on the low end. I have 650 hours straight Mil time, but with a conversion number for taxi I'm above the 750 min to do the ATP/CTP... Any help would be appreciated.

So I am wondering the same thing about who (APD or Check Airman) at the airline validates the hours for the R-ATP. I just barely have the 725 hours I'm told I need to start regional training (with the assumption I'll get another 25 in the sims). However, about 100 of those hours is mil Other time. My time also does not include any taxiing/conversion. I have emailed the recruiting department at the regional I want and their reply is "yes, it does count" but can't give a FAR reference. I'm afraid they are just saying yes because they need to hire me, but I don't want to show up at training and have the APD or Check Airman turn me away because I'm 100 short. It can't just be up to their interpretation of the Airline Check Airman, can it?

I'm also concerned because Sheppard Air's ATP Guide (http://www.sheppardair.com/download/fillin8710-1.pdf) says:
"Note that military "Other" time does not count for anything in the FAR's."

Anyone have some intel or clarity on this? Perhaps a FAR to back it up?

So I am wondering the same thing about who (APD or Check Airman) at the airline validates the hours for the R-ATP. I just barely have the 725 hours I'm told I need to start regional training (with the assumption I'll get another 25 in the sims). However, about 100 of those hours is mil Other time. My time also does not include any taxiing/conversion. I have emailed the recruiting department at the regional I want and their reply is "yes, it does count" but can't give a FAR reference. I'm afraid they are just saying yes because they need to hire me, but I don't want to show up at training and have the APD or Check Airman turn me away because I'm 100 short. It can't just be up to their interpretation of the Airline Check Airman, can it?

I'm also concerned because Sheppard Air's ATP Guide (http://www.sheppardair.com/download/fillin8710-1.pdf) says:
"Note that military "Other" time does not count for anything in the FAR's."

Anyone have some intel or clarity on this? Perhaps a FAR to back it up?

Other time doesnt count for anything and is an AF way to log time for a rated person riding onboard their MDS aircraft in a crewmember capacity, but not occupying a set of flight controls (or not serving at their duty station, for non pilots......non-"radiator wings" guys) at the time and not otherwise required for the operation. The FAA doesnt recognize this for flight time purposes, they only want PIC/SIC, etc.

My civilian logbook contains all my civil and military flight time from day one in 1985, chronologically. It doesnt exactly mirror my AF records because i do not and have not logged other time in my logbook, though what little "other" time I have is reflected in my AF shreadout. To me, my other time doesnt exist as reportable flight time for any FAA or civil purpose. But in my case, i have very little other time, less than 50 or so hours, so it doesnt make a difference; unlike how it does for an airlift guy, for example.

You'll also notice that airlines don't generally count "other" time for purposes of their applications. They want only PIC/SIC time per the legal 14 CFR definition.

Last edited:
Other time doesnt count for anything and is an AF way to log time for a rated person riding onboard their MDS aircraft in a crewmember capacity, but not occupying a set of flight controls (or not serving at their duty station, for non pilots) at the time and not otherwise required for the operation. The FAA doesnt recognize this for flight time purposes, they only want PIC/SIC, etc.

My civilian logbook contains all my civil and military flight time from day one in 1985, chronologically. It doesnt exactly mirror my AF records because i do not and have not logged other time in my logbook, though what little "other" time I have is reflected in my AF shreadout. To me, my other time doesnt exist as reportable flight time for any FAA or civil purpose. But in my case, i have very little other time, less than 50 or so hours, so it doesnt make a difference; unlike how it does for an airlift guy, for example.

You'll also notice that airlines don't generally count "other" time for purposes of their applications. They want only PIC/SIC time per the legal 14 CFR definition.

Yet here I am getting updated ARMS products to make sure my other time is accurate on my apps.

Yet here I am getting updated ARMS products to make sure my other time is accurate on my apps.

Which is weird, because I know that SWA and (I believe) FedEx, specifically don't want it and won't count it. Just as they don't want Nav-rated guys' time or hours assoiciated with jobs within that rating.

Interesting that Delta now counts powered lift time in Harrier, F-35 and V-22 time or 90% of the required 1000 min turbojet time. Gotta give the Marines (and few USAF) bubbas a chance :D

Back