Oh United XIX - Open Door Policy

The Dog picked me up on Route 1 in Topsfield, MA and dropped me in Windham, ME for the chance to see the gal who would become my wife for a while. No 30 mile drive to BOS nor the equivalent for someone to pick me up at PWM (and do the same when going home). Doubt I'd do it now but it surely worked then.

I've taken Greyhound several times in my life, although admittedly not for decades.

Is that odd?
Not at all. I suspect the member I replied to hasn't. And honestly neither have I. I'm not discounting the bus experience, I just don't want to go to the station, they don't have a great reputation. Doesn't a member here own a coach (a luxurious bus sized RV) that he and his family lives in?

The Dog picked me up on Route 1 in Topsfield, MA and dropped me in Windham, ME for the chance to see the gal who would become my wife for a while. No 30 mile drive to BOS nor the equivalent for someone to pick me up at PWM (and do the same when going home). Doubt I'd do it now but it surely worked then.
Sounds like a country song. Put pen to paper. Three chords is enough.

I've taken Greyhound several times in my life, although admittedly not for decades.

Is that odd?
It will be. I'm currently working with a major manufacturing company to place magnetometers, accelerometers, articulable ducted fans, telemetry and other fun goo-gaahs on a bus. Yeah, we're trying to create a whole new product segment that'll really take off. I've also got some bridges for sale.
My Health Care Policy: Don't get sick.
My Transportation Policy: Stay home.

Is that odd?

Recently, for the first time since 1991 when I wrecked my car in a town without car rental, I took a bus.

If you need to travel Nashville to Memphis, it was a nice experience. They also run BNA to ATL.

Sounds like a country song. Put pen to paper. Three chords is enough.
Damn! Was thinking the same thing! But that's not just because of the lyrical quality. But 'cause I knew a guy called "Dog" who lived in Mass who was his own walking, talking country song and would come pick ya up at the bar when you were down on your luck and unable to harmonize.

Last edited:
Yeah, but that was a drunk Russian with a kid in the seat (or was that the other drunk Russian?). These guys were both REAL 'Muricans... I guess. You can kinda tell by how much they liked Baseball.

It was the relief CA's kids. I don't think the pilots were drunk.

Seems like a pretty big deal to me. Blatantly regarding company policy and allowing random people in the flight deck while in cruise seems like a poor chain of decisions. On top of all of that, allowing it to be filmed. We don't allow FAs to sit in the seat during breaks, much less a passenger.

I think I was circadian-low when I wrote that.

A. Don't do what they did.
B. WTF is up with everyone filming dumb crap in the airplane? First don't do dumb crap to start with, secondly ALPA cannot save you nor should they. If you blatantly and willfully break not only a company regulation but also the FARs — "cApTaInS aUtHoRiTy" only applies to emergencies and you're still going to get grilled during the hearing — it's meant for "Yeah, I got suspended but it sure beat dying" not "Well, I'm the captain and i can do what I want".

B. WTF is up with everyone filming dumb crap in the airplane? First don't do dumb crap to start with, secondly ALPA cannot save you nor should they. If you blatantly and willfully break not only a company regulation but also the FARs — "cApTaInS aUtHoRiTy" only applies to emergencies and you're still going to get grilled during the hearing — it's meant for "Yeah, I got suspended but it sure beat dying" not "Well, I'm the captain and i can do what I want".

Runway incursions are like snow days. Go home, have a bit of fun.

Filming dumb crap? It's kinda like saving money by switching to Geico. It's what folks DO these days.

IMO, anyone posting anything filmed in a cockpit lacks any reasonable sense of global SA, and should be fired immediately.

Runway incursions are like snow days. Go home, have a bit of fun.

8nhwc6.jpg

Filming dumb crap? It's kinda like saving money by switching to Geico. It's what folks DO these days.

IMO, anyone posting anything filmed in a cockpit lacks any reasonable sense of global SA, and should be fired immediately.

I'm not gonna go as far as to say they should be fired immediately, as a blanket statement, but it is an example of a break-even game that you would never catch me participating in. Best you can do is not get fired.

Back