Oh, American...

This has got to be a generational thing.

I had this sim instructor for my first CQ at an airline. The instructor was absolute bag of ass holes. Next time I saw him I matched his energy and lent him my own sack o’ sphincters. It’s like that one thing was the secret code to unlock his respect. From then on he was one of favorite instructors.

Yup. But you really shouldn't have to.

Do your job, do NOT politicize my flight deck or say things about the 'lazy' rampers because they're out there while you sit there refreshing your TikTok video like anyone gives a sh— in reality and we'll be perfectly awesome as flight crew.

Do your job, do NOT politicize my flight deck or say things about the 'lazy' rampers because they're out there while you sit there refreshing your TikTok video like anyone gives a sh— in reality and we'll be perfectly awesome as flight crew.

You complete me, bro.

We have an app that includes turbulence forecasts and actual turbulence using an accelerometer in the aircraft. And another app to predict turbulence using the accelerometer in our iPads. Generally with the turbulence forecasts I've noticed if it says it's going to be bumpy it'll be bumpy.

Yep, same thing. I am certainly just learning at this point, but right now, I'd probably say there are just bumpy days and you can waste a bunch of gas trying to find a magic altitude, or just accept that some weather phenomenon is harshing your mellow, and probably will be at most altitudes that you have fuel to mess around with. I've seen a couple exceptions to this, but not more than a few. Small sample size since I have started caring enough to notice.

This has got to be a generational thing.

I had this sim instructor for my first CQ at an airline. The instructor was absolute bag of ass holes. Next time I saw him I matched his energy and lent him my own sack o’ sphincters. It’s like that one thing was the secret code to unlock his respect. From then on he was one of favorite instructors.

In navy jet skool, we used to have the "4 horsemen". Old sim instructor guys, before you made it to the actual jet (sorry, plane). These dudes were straight out of the 50's/60's. Vietnam vets. You respected their experience, but they were kinda insane by year 2000+ standards, in terms of the yelling and just general harassment package they provided. To this day, I think it was actually good training, but that is pretty mil specific. Anyway, one of the biggest and loudest of them......well he turned out to be a pretty great guy starting the day I was able to make him laugh in a brief or debrief or something. It pretty quickly exposed the act he was doing, an act that I know he did with the good intentions of helping us out. That sounds a lot like a Stockholm syndrome response, but those were the strangely confidence inspiring voices in my head years later when I was low as • on gas, had boltered a couple times, it was bad weather, and not landing on my next pass wasn't an option. When you're out there for real, and you have only yourself to get you out of a bad situation, those memories of old guys yelling suddenly become this weird ted talk of how to do it. I think this generation of pilot knew this from their own experiences and paid it forward to us, even if not the best instructional technique.

In navy jet skool, we used to have the "4 horsemen". Old sim instructor guys, before you made it to the actual jet (sorry, plane). These dudes were straight out of the 50's/60's. Vietnam vets. You respected their experience, but they were kinda insane by year 2000+ standards, in terms of the yelling and just general harassment package they provided. To this day, I think it was actually good training, but that is pretty mil specific. Anyway, one of the biggest and loudest of them......well he turned out to be a pretty great guy starting the day I was able to make him laugh in a brief or debrief or something. It pretty quickly exposed the act he was doing, an act that I know he did with the good intentions of helping us out. That sounds a lot like a Stockholm syndrome response, but those were the strangely confidence inspiring voices in my head years later when I was low as • on gas, had boltered a couple times, it was bad weather, and not landing on my next pass wasn't an option. When you're out there for real, and you have only yourself to get you out of a bad situation, those memories of old guys yelling suddenly become this weird ted talk of how to do it. I think this generation of pilot knew this from their own experiences and paid it forward to us, even if not the best instructional technique.

My assigned RTU (RAG) IP in the Hog had done one tour in the final year of Vietnam during Linebacker I/II, a career attack guy in the A-1 Skyraider and the A-7D Corsair. Then later the A-10, when the A-7s left active duty. I was his last student before retirement. A greybeard O-5, he pretty much did whatever he wanted, like smoking in the squadron building, cracking a beer in the squadron bar on Friday before the XO officially lit the beer light, giving constant chit to the younger IPs and flight commanders, and even the XO etc. And the CO allowed it, old friends they were. While he taught the syllabus, he also taught the real world of what was what. And was big on things like keeping formations looking sharp (especially crisply timed overhead breaks at a USN/USMC air station….don’t look like them with their lazy fan breaks). One day, he’d briefed a surface attack mission, low level first run attack scenario with completely-manual delivered dumb bombs in a pop-up attack, that he wanted to execute fully comm out…..strictly being performed as-briefed. Accomplished it, but it was a very heavy SA workload for a new guy to keep up with and ahead of. On the way back, I made sure to ensure that my form positions were where they were supposed to be or correcting to it. RTB, up initial for the break, pitch out and land touching down as he rolled past the touchdown zone for proper spacing. Rolling out towards the end, I see his jet sitting in dearm, and I only have a very short time exiting the runway to get the speed brakes in, flaps up, position lights to flash and canopy up, all before pulling to a stop next to him, in order to ensure I match lead’s configuration. Pulling slowly to a stop just as my canopy finally motors to its up-stop, I glance over towards him, and see him with visor down, O2 mask fully off, and an unlit cigarette in his mouth, with just a blank look otherwise, towards me. We get dearmed and taxi back. Shut down and head to debrief. He debriefs our flight and ordnance, then reviews the flight objectives, one of which was “match lead’s config at all times and keep the form looking sharp”, and asks how I thought each objective went. I said I thought they went good, that I was constantly striving to remain in parameters, and ensuring my jet matched his, etc. He asks “where was your cig….in dearm. I had one, you didn’t. Match the config, keep a pack of Luckys. That’s really all I have for you” which if that was the major component he had to debrief, meant that he was happy with the flight. That’s how he showed it.

He retired after I graduated RTU, and sadly passed away not long after. But as an IP, did his best to pass on the combat lessons learned from Vietnam and Desert Storm, in his own unusual unorthodox ways. And they were effective, even though they were a heavy haze and grind at the time; only realized long later when trying to deliver HUD-out manual bombs at night in a troops in contact, danger close situation that was ripe for an accidental blue on blue, and I could still hear in the back of my mind as I’m maneuvering for roll-in “tighten this fkn shot group up! I told you not to get lazy! Nail those base parameters visually, the HUD chit wont always be there to help you keep yourself unfked. Have the damn discipline to have solid parameters entering the roll in, and you save work for yourself heading down the wire trying to correct stuff and keep your CEP small. You do not want the weight and burden of a blue on blue, kid. Tighten this crap up, and make sure it’s 100% right the first time, every time. There’s no GD room for error with this business.” And I’ve taken that to the bank.

haha “wtf you mean AIM-9? You’re an attack pilot, AIM-9 is a waste of a bomb rack. Want to prep for air to air? Keep the manual pipper at 41 mils in the HUD (where the gun is boresighted to). If we have to go against MiGs and it’s BVR, we’re likely dead anyway. If a MiG wants to push to the merge and go knife fight in a phone booth, we’re going to make him earn any GD kill, and hang his ass out to getting shredded by 30mm potentially….” F-yeah motivational!

Nice, yeah that is exactly what I'm talking about. Haha that "configuration" debrief point is gold. Also, don't get me started on "fan" breaks (or worse yet, "reaction" breaks). By definition there is no standard to adhere to. At best, they look "meh". Some of the kids brief them because they think it is cool, I'm a 2 sec or 4 sec guy every time.

Nice, yeah that is exactly what I'm talking about. Haha that "configuration" debrief point is gold. Also, don't get me started on "fan" breaks (or worse yet, "reaction" breaks). By definition there is no standard to adhere to. At best, they look "meh". Some of the kids brief them because they think it is cool, I'm a 2 sec or 4 sec guy every time.

Timed break is the AF way, nice and crisp for each jet. 3 seconds no later than the approach end unless cleared otherwise.

What does look silly are un-ironed shirts that are only half tucked into their waistband.
So, what you're saying is that 98% of Regional pilots for the last decade and half have looked silly??

I just bet the new crop of regional pilots have ultra-starched shirts, skinny pants, and those goofy wing-tip running shoes with the ultra-foam midsole. I think you buy those at Z-shoes.com

In navy jet skool, we used to have the "4 horsemen".….

My assigned RTU (RAG) IP in the Hog…!

In Army flight school my primary IP was a Vietnam Huey guy and looked, sounded like, and talked exactly like Red Forman from that 70s show. Day one he asks me and my stick buddy if we ever operated a bucket loader or anything where we had to steer with our feet. Um, no. He dropped his head, sighed, and said, this is going to be a lot of work. Plenty of great stories, but no time. Systems test tomorrow so I shouldn’t even be wasting time writing this.

In Army flight school my primary IP was a Vietnam Huey guy and looked, sounded like, and talked exactly like Red Forman from that 70s show. Day one he asks me and my stick buddy if we ever operated a bucket loader or anything where we had to steer with our feet. Um, no. He dropped his head, sighed, and said, this is going to be a lot of work. Plenty of great stories, but no time. Systems test tomorrow so I shouldn’t even be wasting time writing this.
Git it!

Mmmm TikTok ban

Mmmm TikTok ban

If this was 1960, and the government said "don't use this box attached to your phone, the commies are listening", people would lose their minds and landfills would full of the boxes.

This isn't fundamentally any different.

I don't want to come off as a nutter, but people need to do some critical thinking with regards to, er, "competition for hearts and minds on the global stage", so I'm going to use an aviation example:

Northeast Absurdia has an airline they say meets all the ICAO requirements. They point to the certificate on the wall, the show the manual that outlines their rigorous training program, they show off their glass walled, gleaming training center, and by all external factors, they clearly meet the requirement.

BUT, the training program is a box checking exercise, the pilots themselves are not particularly talented because their filled with the offspring of the politically favored, and most all other efforts are focused on the appearance of running a quality operation, but, it's not, as their accident record illustrates.

BUT, when it comes time to get their operating certificate renewed (or whatever mechanism there is, if any), some people point to their less than stellar operational record, but the people who benefit financially or politically point to the certificate on the wall, and all the other window dressing and simply claim "see, the paper on the wall shows their in compliance, so they're in compliance".

China clearly has a intense interest in watching everyone. To say that they don't, considering their stance in the world, is a bit naïve. They are running their program, and unlike many other places in the world, they don't make any bones about it. But more to the point, to believe they're not snooping simply because they maintain they're not snooping is a bit silly. WE would snoop if we could get away with it (and I'm pretty sure that we do), and we might even do it in a much more clandestine way. That's the way geopolitics works.

But the bigger point, unless you are a god level software engineer with a heavy background in digital radio (which is what cellphones are), where you have disassembled their software, have installed sniffing provisions so you are watching exactly what goes in or out, you are taking it on faith that their software isn't snooping on you.

Lots of smart people say it does.

But the bigger point, unless you are a god level software engineer with a heavy background in digital radio (which is what cellphones are), where you have disassembled their software, have installed sniffing provisions so you are watching exactly what goes in or out, you are taking it on faith that their software isn't snooping on you.
I would point out that we trust other people and their work all the time, air line pilots or otherwise, too. It’s an unfortunate necessity of living in a society as social creatures.

I would point out that we trust other people and their work all the time, air line pilots or otherwise, too. It’s an unfortunate necessity of living in a society as social creatures.

You would be correct, but my larger point is the facts (or "science" as some people incorrectly use) end at the people who really know what is going on. For everyone else, it's an article of faith.

Either you believe that what China is saying, that their application doesn't snoop on you, or you believe what other people are saying that "yes it does, get rid of it". In either case, or the multitude of cases in between, 99.997% of the people are talking it on faith, or alternatively, just don't care.

I am a man of science and engineering, law and order, cause and effect. But I understand that rigid worldview ends with the human component, because every human on this planet has motivations that may be counter to the facts and that most people, under pressure, actual or self-imposed, will attempt to rationalize whatever decision they make, and that rationalization will deviate over time.

A police officer will rationalize the that his/her life is in jeopardy every time on the street, and that the backup of their associates is critical, and thus to maintain that absolute trust, certain things/behaviors must be overlooked.

A researcher will rationalize that in the name of the "greater good", more money needs to flow into their program, because they "just know" a little bit more is all that's required, and thus if the proposal package needs to shade a little bit that isn't 100% supportable, that's ok, and by the way, if their compensation package benefits, well, that's a side benefit.

An "honest" politician will say "well, I need to take these dollars, because in the aggregate, I am doing more good than otherwise" or "the compromise isn't perfect, but in big picture, it's an improvement".

In any case, most humans will do what is required to protect and, if possible, enhance, their "good deal", consciously if they're being honest with themselves, but certainly unconsciously if not. Nature will always default to the lowest energy solution, and that echo's throughout not just nature, but everything, and human psychology is no different. It's not just how we're wired, but how the universe is wired.

Unfortunately, people are really, really bad at just coming out and saying they are being, if not evil, at least morally compromised for personal gain (doesn't have to be money, but reputation, moral "high ground", power, clicks, whatever). But a bigger failing is that everyone else believes those people when they say it's not about any of those things, and fails to do any critical thinking on the subject. Sometimes because folks don't want to spend the energy, because they also personally benefit (directly or otherwise), because they don't want to go against the grain of what their friends or political ideology says, because it would require knocking too many penguins off the iceberg, or that the issue is just beyond their scope of concern.

The real truth is that, despite the claims of the new age of moral relativism (or is it relative moralism?), not only are there bad people doing evil things for wicked reasons, but in many cases, they are doing so under the guise of what is right or they play the safety card if it clearly isn't, and plenty of people are ready to buy into it, or at least ignore it.

When I was in navy jet skool, most folks had 4 (• begins with a "W"), man.

What the heck, the W word is verbotten here? You can't use an alternative word for prostitute, fille de joie, call girl, lady of the night, chippy, doxy, drab, quean or wench on here? Huh?

Would someone please explain to me how that ONE descriptor is profane, while all the rest are just fine? Or are we now banning entire concepts? If we are, we're gonna have to add a lot more nouns to our "banned" list, eh.

Last edited:
Being a good FO doesn't equal being a doormat. Believe it or not, there are some Captains out there that like to see how far they can push someone, and sometimes throwing it back at them works wonders. We had two at QX that were both just raging hemeroids to fly with (both were BOI based).

It's really easy to just listen on freq, and see what everyone else is reporting. In fact, in most center's...when you check on, they tell you what the rides are like. You know why they do this...to stop everyone clogging up the frequency with "how are the rides".

Stop making mountains out of mole hills, and you'll be less likely to end up like Todd.
This is very well put. I flew what we call a “FO only line” a few months ago. Basically a line where you fly with out of base CA’s. Long story short this guy did the most to try to elicit a reaction IMO. It got to the point where I just about asked him if he wanted to land the airplane. My motto has always been “the checks cash regardless of how you want me to do it” but he was excessive. He even said after the trip “I know you think I’m an a hole”. If I had to fly the whole bid period with him I probably would’ve called out for the rest of it. Needless to say that and some other craziness that bid period steered me away from those lines and flying out of base.

When I was in navy jet skool, most folks had 4 (• begins with a "W"), man.

What the heck, the W word is verbotten here? You can't use an alternative word for prostitute, fille de joie, call girl, lady of the night, chippy, doxy, drab, quean or wench on here? Huh?

Would someone please explain to me how that ONE descriptor is profane, while all the rest are just fine?

haha I had to re-read this due to the censoring to understand what you were getting at. I imagine the Cubi club isn't what it used to be, in its new home :) Maybe that is why those dudes were always grumpy

Back