NY Earthquake

Initially thought of a huge problem in the garage over which I live, perhaps a furnace malfunction or fire. The low-pitched rumble and leaves shaking on plants by the bay window at least suggested that. All three dogs focused their attention on the same point, growled and barked (first time ever I heard Daphne be vocal) but their attention seemed to point to the garage. I grabbed a fire extinguisher and made entry through the ground level door to find absolutely nothing. Second thought was "maybe a plane into or out of SWF at low altitude." Some of the Air Guard operations can occasionally be a bit loud when the wind favors a 09 take-off or a 27 landing.

I found nothing of substance and went about my morning chores and errands, chalking the event up to "experience" but determined to keep an eye on the furnace. I prefer my own soundtrack over commercial radio and haven't watched TV news for decades, so it was a friend's phone call that let me know about the earthquake an hour or so later. Interestingly the NYS Cell Phone alert (which I mistakenly thought I'd blocked) told me about the "Public Safety Alert" some 90 minutes after the fact. It was interesting to learn the source of the rumble and rattle and shaking, but there was little to it beyond that. I could only imagine California or Taiwan or Japan smiling and saying, "Hold my beer."

My first thought was, "Oh Gawd, the nuts are gonna' run with this" A fairly rare N'oreaster dropping significant snow in April, a relatively minor earthquake to rattle the status quo, and a couple days to a total eclipse of the sun following hard on the heels of these things. "OMG! What's coming next!?"

I dunno' ... life?

I wasn't disappointed with everything from the return of Jesus being heralded to these being signs of god's disappointment with our Republic and indicative of his judgement with Armageddon and the rapture soon to arrive, all the way to Mr. Trump being the only one who can save the nation from these (fairly routine over decades/centuries) natural and recurring events.

I find little hope these days in the future of mankind, nor do I see much real growth from the long-ago days when superstition ruled the land and responses of peoples who should know better🤷‍♂️. Then I remember "Flat Earth" and "Chemtrails" ...

YMMV, of course.

There was an earthquake this morning in NY which caused ground stops for the metros and others. 4.8 semiotic score so felt shaking for a good 20 seconds. My question for you crews how did you handle it when it happened? I heard a bunch of arrivals went around, not sure if they were told to by ATC or not. But for those on the ground who felt it were you waiting, on the roll, or about to take off? Also if it happens during the roll would YOU abort? How would you take it up AFTER V1 during the earthquake?

*and yes its in the Airline section as well
I think you're referencing the average reading skill (out of 10) here on this board. Don't fret! Though a little "shaky" (oooh!, no I di'int!), we're still WAY above average for the toobs in general.

Back