Is my cerebral palsy ok for a ATP?

nickb

So this seems to be a fairly common question and from what iv heard a case by case approach is taken to cerebral palsy afflicted peoples. I wondered if anyone could share there wisdom of how successful my situation would be if i provided a bit of detail..

I have it very mild in the right of my body, almost insignificant in all but my right arm and hand of which is also only mildly affected. Dexterity and strength suffer but not majorly. I can push buttons ect, not isolate individual fingers for the task 100% of the time but can with all fingers, turn knobs push buttons pull leavers ect ect.. seems from my reckoning that id be able to operate a cockpit but wanted to touch base here.
I have no epileptic history of any kind, or spasm attacks, the CP is stable in other words. Im fit and healthy. All other physiological aspects are fine, bar short sightedness which i treat with corrective lenses.

What would be the initial thoughts from this forum on likelihood of getting a 1st class medical and a step to being hired...?

Im passionate about flying so if it comes down to a 1% chance and jumping every hoop out there id have to say id still go for it..

Interestinlgy i found this post... http://forums.jetcareers.com/ask-flight-surgeon/17311-first-class-medical-cerebral-palsy.html . This user describes his CP very similar to mine except I would consider myself not as badly affected as I dont have a limp.

Cheers
Nick

You will have to submit your medical records and a current evaluation from a neurologist to the FAA. It sounds like you have problems isolating finger function. This will be an issue in a complex cockpit, especially with the advent of more computer interfaces.

Thanks for the advice.

Yes isolation is the problem but to be clear its my forth finger and pinky that are the ones that are challenged, thumb-index and thumb-middle finger are fine. In fact all are ok when combined with the thumb.. I suppose however this is rather irrelevant from a AME's viewpoint however.

Cheers

Hi Nick! I'm the guy from the six year old thread you found...can't believe it's been that long.

I hold a first class medical and have been flying for 3000+ hours in all sorts of aircraft without trouble. No waiver or statement of demonstrated ability was required, in my case.

I've flown all sorts of single and multi-engine aircraft with all sorts of controls. Yokes, center sticks, side sticks, piston, turbine, nosewheel, tailwheel, etc...a little of every combination imaginable. I've been able to adapt to every airframe I've gotten a chance to fly. I believe I've logged time in about 30 or 40 different aircraft types over the years.

Dexterity in your fingers shouldn't be a problem, even in technologically advanced aircraft. Ironically, one of my specialties as a flight instructor is training pilots in glass cockpits. I have hundreds of hours in both the right and left seat of G1000/Avidyne/Aspen glass cockpit aircraft. Most of the time programming these units is a simple matter of pressing individual keys or twisting knobs. No "typing" is required. With the introduction of touch screen technology (see the Garmin GTN line of GPSs, or the new G2000 displays), I only see this as getting easier for pilots with limited dexterity in the future, not harder.

If you have any specific questions on the way I've done things, feel free to ask. I'm always happy to talk!

Hi there jrh, Im very fortunate to run into you indeed.

I do have a few specifics yes. However another thing id want to clarify is that typing isnt an issue as for the most part i can touch type. These are the kind of things that leave me puzzled however, as while i know i can perform these functions, (and on a side note have a natural flair for flying) how does that stand in a AME's opinion, and an airline..

From what you described yourself as id say i am almost identically affected in the hand, which is the only area of effect for me.

Re your comment on no waiver being needed, you are simply saying the AME passed you for your 1st class right there and then?

Also the one question that has been bugging me, although this is obviously open to anyone who can provide the answer; assuming a pass in a 1st class medical, this isnt a green light to an eventual ATP job be any means is it? Even with the required hours ect, iv been told someone in my position will never reach this point in there career as the airline cannot except anyone that isnt in perfect 100% body condition for insurance reasons?

I will see an AME for a medical and nuerologist as suggesting but want to clarify things here first as medicals are expensive !!!

Thanks guys
Nick

Re your comment on no waiver being needed, you are simply saying the AME passed you for your 1st class right there and then?

In short, yes. As I stated in that thread from many years ago, my second class medical was briefly deferred, but when I went to upgrade it to a first class medical, it was issued on the spot. No trouble at all.

Also the one question that has been bugging me, although this is obviously open to anyone who can provide the answer; assuming a pass in a 1st class medical, this isnt a green light to an eventual ATP job be any means is it? Even with the required hours ect, iv been told someone in my position will never reach this point in there career as the airline cannot except anyone that isnt in perfect 100% body condition for insurance reasons?

That's not true at all. If you can obtain a first class medical, you can get hired almost anywhere. Most airlines, charter, and business jet operators don't bother with medical exams beyond seeing your medical certificate.

hi jrh,

Thanks so much for these helpful replys, both very promising indeed.
I will have my class 3 medical soon, and from there see what is needed to get to a first class.
Im sure more questions will follow.

Cheers
Nick

Hi Nick! I'm the guy from the six year old thread you found...can't believe it's been that long.

I hold a first class medical and have been flying for 3000+ hours in all sorts of aircraft without trouble. No waiver or statement of demonstrated ability was required, in my case.

I've flown all sorts of single and multi-engine aircraft with all sorts of controls. Yokes, center sticks, side sticks, piston, turbine, nosewheel, tailwheel, etc...a little of every combination imaginable. I've been able to adapt to every airframe I've gotten a chance to fly. I believe I've logged time in about 30 or 40 different aircraft types over the years.

Dexterity in your fingers shouldn't be a problem, even in technologically advanced aircraft. Ironically, one of my specialties as a flight instructor is training pilots in glass cockpits. I have hundreds of hours in both the right and left seat of G1000/Avidyne/Aspen glass cockpit aircraft. Most of the time programming these units is a simple matter of pressing individual keys or twisting knobs. No "typing" is required. With the introduction of touch screen technology (see the Garmin GTN line of GPSs, or the new G2000 displays), I only see this as getting easier for pilots with limited dexterity in the future, not harder.

If you have any specific questions on the way I've done things, feel free to ask. I'm always happy to talk!
Do you have any restrictions at all ? My Australian medical has an ICAO restriction on it meaning it’s not valid in other countries without prior permission.

I currently hold a class 2 but have wondered if the hoops to both get and retain the class 1 with age when I return to Michigan are worth it with cerebral palsy

Do you have any restrictions at all ? My Australian medical has an ICAO restriction on it meaning it’s not valid in other countries without prior permission.

I currently hold a class 2 but have wondered if the hoops to both get and retain the class 1 with age when I return to Michigan are worth it with cerebral palsy

No restrictions at all.

Good luck to you in your future flying!

This is pretty wild. Shows how ignorant I am. My only exposure to CP was a childhood classmate of mine, who was wheelchair bound, and severely hindered by the condition, and was/is my only frame of reference. I had absolutely no idea that there is a spectrum of effects. Thanks for the education, and best of luck!

Back