How much???

Cruise

Ok, realizing geographic differences.....how much is a crash pad costing these days?

And more importantly, what's included in the price?

ie./ own room, bed provided, tv...how many, etc....

I'm curious what the going rate for a commuter living is going these days?

$265 for a pad in Elizabeth, NJ. That includes my own bed in a room with 6 other beds, flatscreen TV in the main room, internet, kitchen and most importantly; van service to a pad that's not in the ghetto. The van runs from the airport at the top of the hour and to the airport at the bottom of the hour 22 hours a day.

I've looked at some other pads, but I honestly don't quite care for the areas that they're in. There are, amazingly enough, more expensive crashpads than the one I'm in right now.

$110 for a pad in Elizabeth, NJ. That includes my own bed in a room with 4 other beds, flatscreen TV in the main room, internet, kitchen and most importantly; van service to a pad that's not in the ghetto (though I drive my car to it). The guys that use the van have to walk ten minutes to some hotel. Most of the time, there is nobody in this crashpad.

One guy retired, and the den mother filled that up. Another guy went to jetBlue, and that bed got filled up too. I'm the only non-mainline one now. No openings in the forseeable future. :( But I will advise if that changes.

Thanks boss. I think I'll be looking at Houston here pretty soon. I took another look at where I'd fall in the reserve pool down there and it really isn't THAT much worse than if I were to stay in Newark. I think I'm 129/170 right now, and with 94 relief/floating reserve/long call reserve lines it doesn't put me in too horrible of a position.

There was one guy from my class that makes it on the prelim, so we'll see where it falls. Maybe if I make it to Houston I can at least start doing Salt Lake overnights.

Thanks boss. I think I'll be looking at Houston here pretty soon. I took another look at where I'd fall in the reserve pool down there and it really isn't THAT much worse than if I were to stay in Newark. I think I'm 129/170 right now, and with 94 relief/floating reserve/long call reserve lines it doesn't put me in too horrible of a position.

There was one guy from my class that makes it on the prelim, so we'll see where it falls. Maybe if I make it to Houston I can at least start doing Salt Lake overnights.

You certainly should try to do that. More nonstop flights and trips that are far more productive.

* * *​

Cruise -

There is an RV in the LAX parking lot that some guy rents out for $220 a month, to give you an idea of more prices. I think he's making a little profit on that though, with four people in it.

I drop $0 per month for a crashpad, as all my trips out of IAH tend to be commutable. Definitely look into the IAH base. If you drop a little dirty paper on a hotel every now and then, so what, at least you're not paying a couple hundred per month for a crashpad.

Awesome, and I'll try that...when I can hold a line :)

I'm a U36XX so I'm still sitting on reserve.

EDIT: Erm...crap! I'm John, really! I didn't realize was logged in as Emily.

A couple of years ago I paid $200 in Elizabeth, NJ for a bunk in a room with 5 other beds. It had internet, cable, TV, kitchen, washer/dryer... everything was included that you would need to live with the exception of personal items. There was transportation to/from the airport, but it depended on someone else being at the pad.

Just last year I paid $165 in St. Louis for a room.... a whole room with a bed and dresser. It also included internet and cable, and kitchen. The only thing it was missing was transportation to/from the airport, but I didn't need that anyway!

You would need to pay me to live with Cruise.

No worries Segs........I have enough pets already. Certainly don't need you shedding around these parts! :p

BTW, for the rest of you......thanks for the input.

Back