Housing prices

Congratulations! In five years you’ll be laughing because it will seem so cheap. If rates go down enough next year you can refi and likely pull money to pay off your remodel. Save a bit for paying down points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To everyone reading this: PLEASE DO NOT PULL EQUITY out of your house to pay for disposable or depreciating assets.

You will also probably not get the value of your remodel in equity, but you will enjoy it. So do it early, pay it off, and enjoy your house.

Also… Don’t take financial advice from pilots. That’s like taking medical advice from a Las Vegas juggler.

PSA over.

If I had to do things over again and it be in aviation, I could really dig being an electrician.

Nah, I've worked in the trades and have the bad joints + scars to show for it. I'd get into specialized NDT, powerplants in particular. The lights always have to be on, and those inspections are never ending. Much like mowing grass at the county airport - just when you finish, it is time to start over again.

There’s way too many people on the sidelines. New construction hasn’t kept up, and as soon as the mortgage rates start dropping, the market will be flooded by currently sidelined buyers who will be competing (re: bidding) for current inventory.

There’s way too many people on the sidelines. New construction hasn’t kept up, and as soon as the mortgage rates start dropping, the market will be flooded by currently sidelined buyers who will be competing (re: bidding) for current inventory.

yep, near term, this is pretty much what I expect to happen. A reversion to 2021/2022 home buying. Prices will also begin a slow climb again to at least what they were prior to the last few months.

< says pilot about real estate :)

yep, near term, this is pretty much what I expect to happen. A reversion to 2021/2022 home buying. Prices will also begin a slow climb again to at least what they were prior to the last few months.

< says pilot about real estate :)

Southern California will likely maintain the trend of ever increasing housing prices. The only thing that would drastically affect it is if our political leadership had the balls to do what Australia did, what Trudeau did, and to a degree what Desantis did:

Ban foreign Chinese citizens from buying property here. In Canada, it was a 2 yr moratorium. Prices collapsed. What used to be a 1 million dollar home came down to the 750ish range.

If they did that here in CA, you'd see huge price corrections. It'll never happen. Current homeowners don't want it, because they don't want their home values to collapse. Cities don't want it, because every time a house sells at a high value, they get to lock in that new price for property taxes under Prop 13, and banks don't want it because it means higher loans with greater interest collected over 30 yrs.

It's a win-win for literally everyone involved - except the home buyers.

Southern California will likely maintain the trend of ever increasing housing prices. The only thing that would drastically affect it is if our political leadership had the balls to do what Australia did, what Trudeau did, and to a degree what Desantis did:

Ban foreign Chinese citizens from buying property here. In Canada, it was a 2 yr moratorium. Prices collapsed. What used to be a 1 million dollar home came down to the 750ish range.

If they did that here in CA, you'd see huge price corrections. It'll never happen. Current homeowners don't want it, because they don't want their home values to collapse. Cities don't want it, because every time a house sells at a high value, they get to lock in that new price for property taxes under Prop 13, and banks don't want it because it means higher loans with greater interest collected over 30 yrs.

It's a win-win for literally everyone involved - except the home buyers.

I'm skeptical that banning foreign buyers would do much good. The main reason housing is so expensive is short supply. Until you increase supply prices will keep skyrocketing.

Good

1701039840508.jpeg

:)

Good

I don't necessarily think the pay is commensurate with the work either, but I do imagine that realtors spend a lot of time in an unpaid status. The ones I know who do well for themselves are engaged in a full time hustle. I want no part of that. But I do sympathize with your complaints about dual buyer/seller agents, and the ridiculous racket that is "appraising". Shocker, the house appraised at the new asking price. TLDR version......that not only legitimatizes the asking price, but also allows VA loan funding, which requires mortgages to match appraised value (or something along those lines)

Gal on the cover is a 1 though

You guys must have a different scale than I’m used to.

Do you remember the movie ”10”?

I figure I’ll just tell my IOE captain I didn’t study that crap because I’m an A & P and I know what I’m looking at, that should go over really well

I remember when I got to my first two-seat squadron tour, which was my last active duty tour, we got a new department head shortly thereafter. He was a pretty unknown quantity, because he had been in flight-test land previously. So this back seater and I walk on a jet for the first time, and as is common practice in the two seat F/A-18 community, pilot does clockwise 737 like pattern, while WSO does counterclockwise and you both meet back up at the nose cone prior to manning up/climbing the boarding ladder. The f-ing nerd finds like 7 things apparently wrong with this plane, everything from the drop tank explosive CAD install not looking right, to the emergency oxygen bottle not being full. I humor him, but like seriously WTF? Turns out none of his gripes are accurate, and the professionals, you know, the uniformed A&Ps had already looked at the plane. Because they do that before every flight. This isn't hand propping your Cessna in a farmer's field. This is a known operation, where people's job is to inspect the airplane. If it comes down to me running it over with a fine tooth comb to find some esoteric gripe, there is something wrong. Footnote, that guy ended up becoming one of my favorite WSOs to fly with, after he chilled the F out a little. And ho boy, he was a train wreck in port.

Back