Flying Upside Down

USMCmech

IMG_8142.jpeg

IMG_8141.jpeg

IMG_5375.jpeg

After a couple years flying my plane around and enjoying it, I discovered an entire new side of flying. Aerobatics is so much fun and is such a skill builder for even experienced pilots. I may have a very underpowered and modest performing airplane, but I am still able to complete most of the basic maneuvers.

I was able to win third place in the primary division in our local contest. Considering who (and what airplanes) I was competing against, I'm pretty happy with the results.

Last edited:
Congratz. I almost puked watching the rolls. Just not my thing. And I will never jump out of a perfectly good airplane.

After a couple years flying my plane around and enjoying it, I discovered an entire new side of flying. Aerobatics is so much fun and is such a skill builder for even experienced pilots. I may have a very underpowered and modest performing airplane, but I am still able to complete most of the basic maneuvers.

Jealous. I've spent most of my adult life around aviation, and there's still so much I've never done. I have enjoyed my very modest airplane more than anything else I've ever flown (other than seaplanes).

View attachment 72421
View attachment 72422
View attachment 72423

I was able to win third place in the primary division in our local contest. Considering who (and what airplanes) I was competing against, I'm pretty happy with the results.

Flying a Citabria is amongst the best flying anyone will ever do. You can fake it in an Extra or a Pitts or an F18. You can't fake your maneuvers in a Citabria. It's not powerful enough. It's not fast enough in aerodynamic response. In a Citabria, you have to FLY THE MANEUVER. Which means you have to understand every part of the maneuver intimately and execute it competently.

Well done!!! Congratulations!! Keep it up! :cool:

View attachment 72421
View attachment 72422
View attachment 72423

Yes! Congrats!!

Nice. I'm glad to hear you've stumbled upon IAC competition. It is a great community and don't be intimidated by the equipment, RJ Gritter does a great airshow act with his Super D.

A 118hp 7ECA is never going to be competitive much less win anything. However, if next year I can do the sportsman category at all in my airplane I'll be happy.

A 118hp 7ECA is never going to be competitive much less win anything. However, if next year I can do the sportsman category at all in my airplane I'll be happy.

In theory, airplanes without inverted systems (7ECA, Aerobat, clipped wing J3 or even a big ass WACO) should be competitive in primary and sportsman. Then again, you'll probably see someone show up with a two seat monoplane and a safety pilot flying sportsman.

If you haven't already, check out the book Better Aerobatics by Alan Cassidy.

Same. I wish I did all that before the low testosterone started rolling in! :)
Pretty sure lower T greatly helps in this particular endeavor. Slow is smooth; Smooth is fast, Etc. While aerobatics can be abrupt and requires a functioning vestibular system and decent eyes, it's not like you're running up hills, doing pushups, or bashing anyone around their noggin or knees. The physicality of flying mostly devolves to being able to remain upright in one's seat.

Jealous. I've spent most of my adult life around aviation, and there's still so much I've never done. I have enjoyed my very modest airplane more than anything else I've ever flown (other than seaplanes).
Seaplanes rock. How hard could it be?

How do you get 1st place at being upside down? It’s a one or a zero……either you are or you aren’t right?

JK congrats! Looks like fun!

Back