Best ways to correct a logbook?

ZUKO

My instructor added a flight to a page that UND forced me to total when I was put in our system for my private pilot check ride. Well I went on a flight with my instructor to review before my check ride after not flying for a while and to make a long story short he put his numbers and stuff on the totalled page.

Am I not thinking of any problems with just finding some white out and getting rid of the totals on that page?

Thanks

I don't really understand the situation the way you explained it (I'm just dumb I guess), but I wouldn't use white out, especially that much. A simple line or two through the number should do the trick.

I once messed up a page in my logbook badly because I skipped a line on the totals (other page) and goofed up every line after that as a result, so I just neatly cut the page out and re-did that part on the next page. Kept the original in the back in case an employer notices the cut page (shouldn't) so I can just explain the situation.

Happens.

I don't really understand the situation the way you explained it (I'm just dumb I guess), but I wouldn't use white out, especially that much. A simple line or two through the number should do the trick.

I once messed up a page in my logbook badly because I skipped a line on the totals (other page) and goofed up every line after that as a result, so I just neatly cut the page out and re-did that part on the next page. Kept the original in the back in case an employer notices the cut page (shouldn't) so I can just explain the situation.

Happens.

Basically UND collects your logbook when you go in for a certification check ride.

I had to total all my pages including one page that wasnt filled.

I had a flight after they collected my logbook and my instructor took the logbook and put a new flight in with out noticing that I had totaled that page.

See, I would just put a line through them and put new numbers but I am feeling like there isnt enough room to make it look very clear.

Maybe I will just cut out square boxes to fit the input box and tape it down?

Or I could get that white out tape type thing.

I hate it. Its my new pet peeve. Now I know why my instructor was always telling me not to total all the pages at once.

The best way in this situation, which is perfectly acceptable by airlines and in fact the method that was recommended to me by a pilot interviewer, is on your next free line, add or subtract whatever you need so that the totals from that point on would be correct, and in the comments section explain the correction and reference the date of the line you are correcting. Do not use white out.

White out is generally not the best way to fix an error..

A simple line through it with your initials and your good..

White out says one of two things:

a.) I made an honest mistake..
b.) I'm covering something up..

I don't use white out in my logbooks.. I had an instructor that went whiteout happy in my log book.. :mad:

My old CFI would use white out in my book but at the same time the ohter colums were changed. So its obvious I wasnt a liar about the TT or the dual etc. Anyways that's what he did.

However now I make sure i just cross it out. If I mess up bad I just cross it out and put it down a line. Also I write lil notes on the side stating what happen so I can remind myself and future employeers? Is that bad?

On the next available line just enter in the error amount and clearly state where the error occurred in your logbook. Then go back to the page in your logbook where the error occurred and make a note somwhere in the margin there.

Errors happens and can be fixed...white-out means you have something to cover up!

-Brett

So its obvious I wasnt a liar about the TT or the dual etc.

Why? Because all the numbers changed? You could have added time.. :)

I'm not saying you did.. Just hypothetical..

I just had to fix an error.. I transposed some numbers and when I fixed it actually worked out to my favor for about 11 hours worth..

I simply made a note on a line "Yadda yadda, error found yadda yadda.. " signed it and called it a day..

Whatever changes you make, be sure that you note it somewhere.. What changed and why.. So when you are in an oral and someone sees it, you don't have to try and remember what happned.. If you note it well enough, the interviewer will skip right over it..

Do yourself a favor and write all totals in pencil

Yeah, and i mean my cfi would place the dual as PIC instead of dual and therefore he'd white it out and move it. They were his way of doing things. However since I've hanged CFI's i just cross it out and put the new number small in the same box. It shows I just had no clue before and I have changed how I go about it.

I had an examiner white out some numbers in my logbook. Having white out on a checkride line kind of annoyed me. :mad:

See the big problem is that the total is already conducted with out including that said time.

Would this be bad? Just cut out the rest of the page including the blanks and then the wrong entry. Keep the totals the way they are. And then get my CFI to sign the next page with the same info.

You only total completed logbook pages before sending it into records. For incomplete pages just make sure you have the amount forwarded line filled in.

You only total completed logbook pages before sending it into records. For incomplete pages just make sure you have the amount forwarded line filled in.

Ugh. Thats not what the lady told me at record.

No, I am just going to cut out basically the extra flight and the remaining blank spaces on that page. That shouldnt look bad would it?

Ugh. Thats not what the lady told me at record.

No, I am just going to cut out basically the extra flight and the remaining blank spaces on that page. That shouldnt look bad would it?
When you say "cut out" do you mean you will take scissors and literally cut the page out?? Yes, that will be very bad.

When you say "cut out" do you mean you will take scissors and literally cut the page out?? Yes, that will be very bad.

Yeah I was going to partially cut the bad selections and the rest of the blank page out so it would be accurate.

I guess they want to see what I did. So I think I will just cross out the time and make it visible and just input it on the next page. Then put a note on the blank spaces "Page already totaled." Then get my CFI to sign a new entry on the next page.

Sound good?

Don't CUT your logbook.. That would look about as unprofessional as it can get..

Just draw a line through the error and correct it..

Don't CUT your logbook.. That would look about as unprofessional as it can get..

Just draw a line through the error and correct it..

Thanks for the advice guys. You guys saved me from doing something that I would have regret.

Back