Aviation Degree or no at WMU post FAA hour requirement increase?

crarazy

I know I've seen these posted a hundred times. but they all seem to be before the FAA changed the ruling on how many hours you are required to have to 1500. I plan on attending Western Michigan University unless I'm swayed to Michigan State if this doesn't end up being a good choice. I still have plans of going into aviation, just whether or not going to school for it specifically. What would be my course of action if I got my ratings outside of college? Anyways, I have plans on going overseas too and not sticking around for regionals if that ends up being a better decision, not sure what the hour situation is like in Asia or the Middle East. With that being said, should that deter me even more away from getting an Aviation degree since less hours are required overseas as well? If I stick around in the US for a couple years, is it worth it to get a degree in Aviation Science for the 500 hour discount from 1500 hours to 1000 hours?

It's worth it to get the Aviation degree because it's worth it. I know many on this and other boards will not agree but after 29 years in the business, I say get the degree. It shows commitment and what you learn in ground school and in that environment is the reason for the reduction in hours.

The FAA final order on the 1500 hour rule was a 221 page document explaining the hour reduction rationale. In that document was the following:

[Docket No.: FAA-2010-0100; Amdt. Nos. 61-130; 121-365; 135-127; 141-1; 142-9]
RIN 2120–AJ67 Pilot Certification and Qualification Requirements for Air Carrier Operations
AGENCY: Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), DOT.

The FAA does not support a reduction in flight hours for pilots who complete
training at an “aviation academy,” or for pilots who complete their ground and flight
training at a part 141 pilot school. The reduction for graduates who receive bachelor’s or associate’s degrees with aviation majors was not based solely on the completion of ground and flight training for certification at a part 141 pilot school. Rather, the reduction was based on the content and substance of a broader academic curriculum completed concurrently with ground and flight training for certification. The FAA notes that the regulations already reflect a reduction in flight hours for a commercial pilot certificate completed at a part 141 pilot school or part 142 training center.

The WMU program and other similar AABI (Aviation Accreditation Board International), recognized programs are recognized as the best civilian training in the Country and the majors seek individuals with degrees from those programs. This is not a popular opinion but it is true. American Airlines has a program targeting graduates of these schools and helps them financially when they are instructors. I think Delta has a similar program. I work with those in the selection / training process and that is what I am being told.

It does not stop you from getting hired if you did not attend an Aviation College. However, they are actively looking for these graduates.

Go to WMU and get your flight degree/ratings. If you really want to you could double major in something else.

It's worth it to get the Aviation degree because it's worth it. I know many on this and other boards will not agree but after 29 years in the business, I say get the degree. It shows commitment and what you learn in ground school and in that environment is the reason for the reduction in hours.

The WMU program and other similar AABI (Aviation Accreditation Board International), recognized programs are recognized as the best civilian training in the Country and the majors seek individuals with degrees from those programs. This is not a popular opinion but it is true. American Airlines has a program targeting graduates of these schools and helps them financially when they are instructors. I think Delta has a similar program. I work with those in the selection / training process and that is what I am being told.

It does not stop you from getting hired if you did not attend an Aviation College. However, they are actively looking for these graduates.

My hope is that the industry doesn't take a • before I can get a real foothold. I'm guessing the industry will be really good by time I get there and still going up but when the day comes when it's not, just hoping I have enough seniority to get by. What I don't hear a lot here though is people considering going overseas if something is to go wrong, it's regional's or majors or go broke, other than private. With being 100% open to going overseas, Asia or Middle East, does that add some job protection for me if I were not to consider it opposed to just staying state side?

Hey i'm from Michigan as well and I was trying to make a similar choice about a year ago. In the end I decided to leave Michigan and go to UND. WMU uses the Cirrus SR-20 that costs around 100 more per hour than the C172s we fly at UND. WMU also doesn't get your CFI and CFII as part of their program. Michigan residents get reduced tuition at UND (around 11,000 per year). if you stay the summer you can get in-state tuition (around 8000 per year).

Do not pay WMU's insane costs unless your parents can cut a check for 200K right now. They have a phenomenal marketing department, but in reality, the training offered is overpriced - by a lot. Unless you personally own one, there is no reason to get your private in a Cirrus. None. Go to MSU, party, chase girls, graduate. Fly on the side, get your ratings over the summers, instruct for a year after college, go to the airlines or wherever you want. The amount of money they charge is not worth it.

Do not pay WMU's insane costs unless your parents can cut a check for 200K right now. They have a phenomenal marketing department, but in reality, the training offered is overpriced - by a lot. Unless you personally own one, there is no reason to get your private in a Cirrus. None. Go to MSU, party, chase girls, graduate. Fly on the side, get your ratings over the summers, instruct for a year after college, go to the airlines or wherever you want. The amount of money they charge is not worth it.
I don't know where everyone is coming up with this $200k number, all the cert's they offer cost $58k and with the instructor rating is another $9k, so we're looking at $67k. My dilemma now with MSU is the flight school near MSU costs about the same as Western's. So I'm paying more for college, because MSU costs more, I'm paying the same for my ratings and I need 1500 hours opposed to 1000 hours. Only benefit, which is a big one, is a "real degree" for me that would probably be finance.

Back