AGI prior to CFI

Why DON'T you want it?

Because as a flight instructor you CAN already teach it legally. YOU DONT NEED IT.

The GI's exist for two reasons-

1. Another thing to require for the gold seal.

2. To allow people who don't plan on becomming flight instructors the ability to still teach and make money. IE- pilots who have no medical, older pilots, or pilots who are not certified.

Those of you who say it looks good on a resume, do you really think that airlines don't know what it takes to get a GI certificate? They know it's just a written.

Are you going to become a flight instructor?

I as a CFI can teach the same ground school as a AGI and it's legal.

Why do you want it to bad?

If you are interviewing two people with the same amount of experience, the one with the gold seal and agi might have the edge. Many airlines prefer to hire FO's who have already taken their ATP written, so your assertion that it's "just a written" doesn't really seem to apply. Why not do everything to make yourself as competitive as possible, especially when it only costs $80 for a written? It seems silly not to. Anyway, who cares? If he wants it, he wants it.

Because as a flight instructor you CAN already teach it legally. YOU DONT NEED IT.

The GI's exist for two reasons-

1. Another thing to require for the gold seal.

2. To allow people who don't plan on becomming flight instructors the ability to still teach and make money. IE- pilots who have no medical, older pilots, or pilots who are not certified.

Those of you who say it looks good on a resume, do you really think that airlines don't know what it takes to get a GI certificate? They know it's just a written.

Are you going to become a flight instructor?

I as a CFI can teach the same ground school as a AGI and it's legal.

Why do you want it to bad?

If you are interviewing two people with the same amount of experience, the one with the gold seal and agi might have the edge.

True, but like I said in my post, getting it for the gold seal is one exception.

vabantha said:
Many airlines prefer to hire FO's who have already taken their ATP written, so your assertion that it's "just a written" doesn't really seem to apply.

Yes, they do prefer to hire applicants to have the ATP Written done. But yes, it is still just a written. Anyone can pass them with a little study. Why doesn't my assertion apply?

vabantha said:
Why not do everything to make yourself as competitive as possible, especially when it only costs $80 for a written?

Why is qualifying about an Ground Instructor written? If you're a CFI it doesn't mean anything.

That's not quite accurate. You may not NEED IT to teach as a CFI but you might NEED IT for a future job working, say as a ground instructor at a major airline (ie NWA's ATI program).

Here's another reason to get it:
http://jetcareers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=565905#post565905

Spending the $70 on the written test allowed me to get the gold seal, and then renew my CFI certificates for free.

True, but like I said in my post, getting it for the gold seal is one exception.

Well, if a gold seal might give you a leg up, or just look good, it's not meaningless. That one exception is reason enough to go ahead and get it.

Yes, they do prefer to hire applicants to have the ATP Written done. But yes, it is still just a written. Anyone can pass them with a little study. Why doesn't my assertion apply?

Your assertion was that the AGI is meaningless because the airlines know it's just a written. Well, the ATP written is "just a written" and that seems to have some sway on the airlines. So, maybe an AGI would as well. It surely wouldn't hurt your chances.

Why is qualifying about an Ground Instructor written? If you're a CFI it doesn't mean anything.

Refer to the gold seal comment.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the debate is about. If there is a small possibility that it could help him and no possibility that it could hurt him, why not? If he wants the certificate, go for it.:rawk:

- pilots who have no medical, older pilots, or pilots who are not certified.
...oh, and one more group. Old flight instructors who have renewed their CFI's a gazillion times and just wanna do groundschool without having to renew every two years.;)

I acknowledge the gold seal fact, sir. I have mentioned it in 5 of my 5 posts.

The CRJ200 GI spot is just that a GROUND INSTRUCTOR job.

I have responded with good rebuttals to all of the challenging posts on this thread, and I still get the same responses...

"You need it for the gold seal!!!"

Ok- I don't deny it. I know you need it for the GS.

"You need it to teach select ground schools"

Ok- I accept that and I was the one who brought it up first.

It's a qualification. Who care's if it's easy to get, why wouldn't you want another qualification?

Many airlines prefer to hire FO's who have already taken their ATP written, so your assertion that it's "just a written" doesn't really seem to apply.
I don't know if I'd go that far. That's comparring apples to oranges. The AGI and FIA tests, although two seperated tests, take the questions from the exact same test bank. A CFI who also has an AGI, basically took the exact same test twice. That's not nearly as impressive as a CFI who also passed the ATP written taken from a test bank of 1700 questions. Also another reason airlines like to see the ATP written, is because you are eventually going to become an ATP and will need to pass the written. You will never need the AGI fo fly for that airline unless you intend to teach ground school.

There might be a lot of questions the same, but I don't recall any gyroplane questions on my FIA test..

Yes, I would want another qualification.

My argument is...is it really another qualification?

That's like saying

"I have a 2000 Dodge Stratus and my dad has a 2000 Chrysler Cirrus but my Dodge is better."

They're the same car. You can do the same thing both.

Same with the CFI and AGI.

Yes, I would want another qualification.

My argument is...is it really another qualification?

That's like saying

"I have a 2000 Dodge Stratus and my dad has a 2000 Chrysler Cirrus but my Dodge is better."

They're the same car. You can do the same thing both.

Same with the CFI and AGI.

Seriously, who cares...he wants the extra qual and maybe it'll help him, maybe it won't. I'll tell you what, I wish I had done all those stupid writtens when it was fresh in my mind. I will eventually get all the knowledge back in this brain and get my Gold Seal just because.

I don't get why you're arguing with a guy trying to get more out of life...

Turn over your flight instructor certificate - notice anything on the back about it expiring? Once it's expired you can't teach ground school.

Now turn over your ground instructor's certificate, oh that's right you can't, you don't believe in them. Well take my word for it, they don't expire.

Why do you want it so bad?

Aside from what others have already mentioned, I could pass the AGI tomorrow, go down to the FSDO and be issued nice new AGI certificate. To me it's worth it; I kind of view it as a milestone on my way to completing the CFI. Also, I have no idea when I'll complete the CFI--the sooner the better I hope.

Additionally, should the opportunity arise, I would love to teach PPL ground at the local JC. So for what it's worth, the AGI is another bonus in my book.

Respect,
Jayrock

I could pass the AGI tomorrow, go down to the FSDO and be issued nice new AGI certificate. To me it's worth it; I kind of view it as a milestone on my way to completing the CFI. Also, I have no idea when I'll complete the CFI--the sooner the better I hope.

Additionally, should the opportunity arise, I would love to teach PPL ground at the local JC. So for what it's worth, the AGI is another bonus in my book.

Respect,
Jayrock

I think you're a head and shoulders above the rest. Don't let the 'slackers' and naysayers head you off. One of the most impressive and valuable ways of 'earning' your way through flight school is to do some ground instruction. Teach as you go - it's the way of flight instructing.

Aside from what others have already mentioned, I could pass the AGI tomorrow, go down to the FSDO and be issued nice new AGI certificate. To me it's worth it; I kind of view it as a milestone on my way to completing the CFI. Also, I have no idea when I'll complete the CFI--the sooner the better I hope.

Respect,
Jayrock

NOW THAT is a good idea.

All I wanted was a good reason. You don't know when you'll complete the CFI is a good reason.

I was looking to get my AGI prior to my CFI as well since with school and work I won't be able to do any serious flight training until this summer.

Here's the part that confuses me: In the Gleim FOI book is says "You are not required to take the FOI knowledge test if you hold an FAA flight or ground instructor certificate." However, someone above mentioned that you only need to take the FOI once and it will count towards both AGI and CFI. I don't have a FAR/AIM right now to look it up, but is FOI a prerequisite of your AGI or does holding an AGI exempt you from the FOI requirement of your CFI? Hope that makes sense.

Edit: For clarity's sake, my question is do I need to pass the FOI written before I can take the AGI written?

Back