135 VFR in AK

MEPilot

I'm decided to try and get a flying job in Alaska this spring. I have been working towards this goal for nearly 10 years. I now have all the ratings, plus CFII, and have accumulated a little under 800 hours. Last month I began applying at the places that post ads. I have always read the best way to get hired is to go up and knock on doors. So I am planning a trip in mid-march to do that. I want to find something that is a normal 5-6 day schedule, rather than 2/2. I'm bringing my family with me, so western AK won't work. I thought I would ask on JC for suggestions and input. I would love a float job, but with only 26 SES that will be tough. Ketchikan, Juneau, Homer, and Anchorage are top on my list. Any JCers up that way, or past Alaska guys with insight? Thanks in advance.

I should be around most of March. Look into Regal Air taxi at lake hood. They'd probably put you into the 206 on wheels to start, but you'd end up on floats by the end of the season I'd imagine. Otherwise with that low time and in town, you're looking at Hagland in the 1900 or something right seat. Otherwise Juneau in a 206 for one of the VFR ops. I think Desert Air needs a DC-3 FO this summer as they usually do. That'd get you to IFR mins where you could get year round work. Maybe Smokey Bay in Homer. Also look at Kodiak, they usually have a lot of summer float flying.

@ppragman

Starting off in AK and not going out west somewhere is a little tougher. If you’re willing to go to Ketichikan and Juneau I think you’d be fine going to Dillingham and King Salmon/Naknek, they are MUCH nicer than Bethel. Plus there a number of float operators and lodges that seem to have ads up all the time. Also look into Katmai Air, they have 206/sleds on wheels, and 206, beaver and otter on floats.

Starting off in AK and not going out west somewhere is a little tougher. If you’re willing to go to Ketichikan and Juneau I think you’d be fine going to Dillingham and King Salmon/Naknek, they are MUCH nicer than Bethel. Plus there a number of float operators and lodges that seem to have ads up all the time. Also look into Katmai Air, they have 206/sleds on wheels, and 206, beaver and otter on floats.
I will have to look into them. I appreciate the suggestions.

I should be around most of March. Look into Regal Air taxi at lake hood. They'd probably put you into the 206 on wheels to start, but you'd end up on floats by the end of the season I'd imagine. Otherwise with that low time and in town, you're looking at Hagland in the 1900 or something right seat. Otherwise Juneau in a 206 for one of the VFR ops. I think Desert Air needs a DC-3 FO this summer as they usually do. That'd get you to IFR mins where you could get year round work. Maybe Smokey Bay in Homer. Also look at Kodiak, they usually have a lot of summer float flying.

@ppragman
Smokey Bay is on my list to visit. Partly because Homer appeals to me. Kodiak may be a good option too.

@ppragman
Smokey Bay is on my list to visit. Partly because Homer appeals to me. Kodiak may be a good option too.
If you think the FAR's are rules to be followed, might want to avoid "The Rock," still holding on to the wild west out there. Cost of living is steep and housing is outrageous as the CG pays big housing stipends for people to live off base.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I applied there a few weeks back. Got an email they received my resume, but nothing more. Debating how long to wait to follow up. They are pretty much perfect for what I am looking for. Thanks for sharing!
What did you say for your availability? We’re starting new hire ground schools already.

I could be wrong, but aren't they they people who crash everything they own every season?
Cant be too many lake clark operations.
If they do, it gets kept pretty quiet, the last accident I remember from them was the midair they had where one of their Navajos lost the tip of the vertical and kept on chuggin.

If they do, it gets kept pretty quiet, the last accident I remember from them was the midair they had where one of their Navajos lost the tip of the vertical and kept on chuggin.
Must be a "part 91" operation out of Port Alsworth then.

Back