Who hires for the Class Delta towers?

Most of the small towers are FAA and so you would apply to the FAA under their normal hiring bids. You don't apply for a specific facility, they give you a list of options to pick from. Some others are Federal Contract Towers and are operated by various contracting companies such as Midwest, SERCO, and RVA. To apply for those you apply through the companies website. Generally speaking you'll need at least a few years of prior ATC experience with a CTO to be hired by the contract company as they don't have the desire or need to train someone from scratch.

Most of the small towers are FAA and so you would apply to the FAA under their normal hiring bids. You don't apply for a specific facility, they give you a list of options to pick from. Some others are Federal Contract Towers and are operated by various contracting companies such as Midwest, SERCO, and RVA. To apply for those you apply through the companies website. Generally speaking you'll need at least a few years of prior ATC experience with a CTO to be hired by the contract company as they don't have the desire or need to train someone from scratch.

Back in 08ish I took the test and got WQ and the economy took a dump and hiring stopped. A lot of life happened and now I am 36 now and over the limit and was just curious about the small towers. Thanks for the info!!

Do the contract companies pay as well as the FAA? I was surprised SLO was a contract tower.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Do the contract companies pay as well as the FAA? I was surprised SLO was a contract tower.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Generally no, but it's probably comparable to some of the level 4 or maybe even 5 FAA towers. Benefits def aren't anywhere near as good. Most contract towers I think average around $30-32/hour.

It depends who you work for. RVA pays $37/hr so much better than the level 4-5 and slightly better than level 6 towers with normal locality. The other contractors will vary in the $30's like NE said. The benefits don't compare, but depending on where you live, you can have a pretty comfortable lifestyle. Everyone's life situation is obviously different so that will be the biggest deciding factor. And unless it's brand new and nothing has updated, SLO is uncontrolled.

It depends who you work for. RVA pays $37/hr so much better than the level 4-5 and slightly better than level 6 towers with normal locality. The other contractors will vary in the $30's like NE said. The benefits don't compare, but depending on where you live, you can have a pretty comfortable lifestyle. Everyone's life situation is obviously different so that will be the biggest deciding factor. And unless it's brand new and nothing has updated, SLO is uncontrolled.
He probably means KSBP.

Back