Skywest opening…

Definitely one of the best places to get your feet wet, there’s no doubt about that.

SGU is a decent place to live. Rent is stupid high so you’ll definitely need a roommate unless you have a spouse/ partner that’s moving with you.

Non reving out of there can be a gamble but you have CDC and LAS as options as well. Their nonrev bennys are unmatched at the regional level.

There’s several avenues to go past dispatch to fluff your resume while you wait for your ticket punch. I’d rate my time there a solid 7.5/10.

Definitely one of the best places to get your feet wet, there’s no doubt about that.

SGU is a decent place to live. Rent is stupid high so you’ll definitely need a roommate unless you have a spouse/ partner that’s moving with you.

Non reving out of there can be a gamble but you have CDC and LAS as options as well. Their nonrev bennys are unmatched at the regional level.

There’s several avenues to go past dispatch to fluff your resume while you wait for your ticket punch. I’d rate my time there a solid 7.5/10.
There were quality of life issues there like any regional...pay, time off etc. But I will say the operational management there was quite good. There were rarely issues like IT problems, and if they did happen they were resolved quickly.

I can say I miss almost everything about SkyWest except what they paid me. Training was solid, management was good, no junior manning (you can say no if they call and ask you to work), SGU is a fairly safe city to have a family in, good culture. I highly recommend them if you're just getting into dispatch.

Best of luck to all that apply!

I can say I miss almost everything about SkyWest except what they paid me. Training was solid, management was good, no junior manning (you can say no if they call and ask you to work), SGU is a fairly safe city to have a family in, good culture. I highly recommend them if you're just getting into dispatch.

Best of luck to all that apply!
Agreed on this. Thought about going back at one point due to occ culture, work life balance, and the location. Pay is hard to swallow. Maybe when I retire 😁.

Anyone have any tips for the knowledge assessment. It says it’s 35 minutes, but that’s about all it says. So any info on the format or must know topics would be helpful. Planning on taking it tomorrow.

Anyone have any tips for the knowledge assessment. It says it’s 35 minutes, but that’s about all it says. So any info on the format or must know topics would be helpful. Planning on taking it tomorrow.
I second this.

I wonder if this is a single opening or if they will take in 3-4.

Last edited:
3 or 4? They tend to hire 10-20 per class (I know a recent hire there).

As for the assessment....... dispatch 101.

Ability to read (and understand):
METAR
TAF
NOTAM
PIREP
Approach plates

Determine if alternate is required and/or legal to dispatch.

Ability to work well with others.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment.

Good luck!

If you get passed over for this one there will likely by another class by summer and another in the fall. The plan was for 4 this year, and this is #2.

3 or 4? They tend to hire 10-20 per class (I know a recent hire there).

As for the assessment....... dispatch 101.

Ability to read (and understand):
METAR
TAF
NOTAM
PIREP
Approach plates

Determine if alternate is required and/or legal to dispatch.

Ability to work well with others.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment.

Good luck!

DRM was an absolute key to the interview I had there, and also at the interviews to majors as well. A tip I can give, incorporate CRM as well. You as a dispatcher are an essential part of the cockpit resource management too for those crews up there. They do pay attention to the ACARS as well as the radio calls and checklists.

Next class will be in the AUG-SEPT area, as there is a hire class currently undergoing OTD training. Goodluck to all that apply!
Rent can be high is some areas but it is a great start! Rooms are a common rental conversation for those that are single and there are 2/2houses here for 1650 and there is a complex that offers 1/1 for 1200 I believe.

Would it make sense to move from a current regional to SkyWest? Will it look bad on a resume when applying to a major?

Would it make sense to move from a current regional to SkyWest? Will it look bad on a resume when applying to a major?
I honestly don't think anyone in the regional or major business cares.
Don't set fire to your current job when you leave...make friends....keep in touch...can't hurt to move to the regional so many majors hire from.

I had a friend a few years back. Left a good sized regional after 6 months for Skywest then 6 months later was at a major.

He did have an aviation degree though and was young and sharp.

Did you get invited to the assessment shorty after you applied? I applied in the early morning hours and I haven’t got anything back in regards to an Assessment.

Back