Prospective Aircraft Dispatcher

Bradpmp

Hello everyone,
I have been reading on these forums for a week now and decided to make an account. Iv'e recently came across the job "Aircraft Dispatcher" and it seems like something I would be interested in doing. Iv'e spoke with Sheffield School of Aeronautics and have a great interest in attending that school since I live here in FL. I purchased the book 'ATP Airline Transport Pilot FAA Written Exam' by Irvin N. Gleim to prepare me for the "ADX" exam. If I decide to go for dispatch school, I will be going August 2nd. Anyone who has been to Sheffield willing to give me some information as far as the overall difficulty? My main fear is failure..But failure can be a great motivator.

I graduated from Sheffield in February, and I highly recommend it. The Gleim ATP book is a good to use to study. Once you sign up for Sheffield, they'll give you a list of specific questions out of it to study and also, they are working up their own book/ guide to help narrow it down.

Hey All!

Some folks have PM'd regarding Sheffield and I thought these tips may be helpful.

Tips:

1. Live in the Sheffield Housing-I did not and missed a lot of study groups.

2. Study over the weekends-The pace does not let up.

3. Take the 5-week course it's the best experience.

4. Stay after class and get a debrief of the day-The instructors are required to stay an hour after each day to provide help-use it.

5. Get the ADX out of the way fast.

6. I took all the extra workshops at the end-needed to fill up my resume. Ideally one should work in the field for a while and then do the workshops.

7. Start applying to jobs week 2 - the airlines sometimes take months to complete the hiring process.

8. If possible, have a pro do your resume and cover letter.

9. Get on LinkedIn and make your profile complete and perfect, including a good picture. This and the Sheffield stamp of approval, and uploading your resume to JSFirm will result in recruiters calling YOU.

I'll add to this... When he says get the ADX out of the way fast, no later than the second week you're there, I would almost recommend taking it before you go (not required and you would have to pay extra by doing it this way, but it would be one less thing to worry about.) The course is intense and thorough, but very possible to pass. Don't waste your free time. Study throughout the course, don't try to cram at the last minute for a test and you'll do so much better.

I'm in my first week of school @ Jeppesen in Denver and I can tell you that all the study I did in the Gleim before hand is definitely paying off! I came here "ready" to take the ADX. I can't imagine being in the shoes of some of my classmates who did not study prior to starting this course! They are stressing pretty hard... Study, study, study and it will make your time a little bit easier! Good luck!

I graduated from Sheffield in February, and I highly recommend it. The Gleim ATP book is a good to use to study. Once you sign up for Sheffield, they'll give you a list of specific questions out of it to study and also, they are working up their own book/ guide to help narrow it down.

I'll add to this... When he says get the ADX out of the way fast, no later than the second week you're there, I would almost recommend taking it before you go (not required and you would have to pay extra by doing it this way, but it would be one less thing to worry about.) The course is intense and thorough, but very possible to pass. Don't waste your free time. Study throughout the course, don't try to cram at the last minute for a test and you'll do so much better.

Based on your grad date, I think I know who you are. In that case, let me add tip #10 to your list.

Bring a car if you can! It'll save you a lot of walking especially in brutal summer FL wx conditions.

How is it going at MSP? Everything going the way you expected?

Thank you everyone. I think once I receive my ATP book, I will have a better understanding on what to expect as far as difficulty. I have extreme test anxitity, who doesn't? Lol. I think where I'm at in my life, single, 22, and no obligations, that Aircraft Dispatch could be a great oportunity for me. I've always been interested in aviation, and I love weather. I thought about pursuing a metorology degree, but I struggled with college algebra. Considering the great amount of math involed with a metorology degree, I think it's unrealistic. I will look for a job in the state of Florida possibly, but taking a job out of state could be a great opertunty and change in my life.

Remember, the dispatcher written, and the questions on it, in actuality have little to do with performing the job itself...it's just a test you have to get out of the way. If you email Sheffield they can tell you more about that. I ended up having to take it twice but I got a 96% the second time I took it. As a Sheffield grad, I do highly recommend them, but I also would advise not taking the workshops at the end of the class unless you want to add them to your resume. In my case, I was so burned out from the class I didn't get nearly as much out of them as I would have if I'd been working in the industry for a while first and showed up to take them fresh. It's not an easy course, but it's worth what they charge.

Based on your grad date, I think I know who you are. In that case, let me add tip #10 to your list.

Bring a car if you can! It'll save you a lot of walking especially in brutal summer FL wx conditions.

How is it going at MSP? Everything going the way you expected?

Yeah, a car is always a good idea, especially with two of the houses, it's a pretty good walk (from what I've been told.)

It's going great here! Started OJT this past Monday and so far I'm picking it up pretty quick, though I haven't had to deal with any major wx yet.

manniax said:
As a Sheffield grad, I do highly recommend them, but I also would advise not taking the workshops at the end of the class unless you want to add them to your resume. In my case, I was so burned out from the class I didn't get nearly as much out of them as I would have if I'd been working in the industry for a while first and showed up to take them fresh. .

Thanks for that - was trying to decide whether or not to take the ETOPS workshop after finishing up the course. I wonder what your recommendation is if I am trying to get hired at an international airline with government contracts? Should I still wait to see if I even get hired on there?

Thanks for your input...

womanpilot73

I personally didn't like the Jeppesen program. Way to long and a sort of a waste IMO. If you're loving it then I'm happy for you though! However, let me share one bit of advice.

If you don't have any ETOPS knowledge or experience, it would be in your best bet to take the ETOPS add-on if you're still planning on going directly to Ryan International. Their fleet is all ETOPS except for one Delta 767 and the MD-80(s) (IIRC the 767 is N123DL but ETOPS principles still apply when flight planning the aircraft). In addition over half of their flying is ETOPS. Even though the company will re-train you for their operation (one reason why I didn't think Jeppesen was good), it would be extremely helpful with setting a good base for ETOPS. There are a lot of misconceptions about ETOPS and even though I did personal study about the subject for many years, I defiantly recommend someone just starting out to have a class about it instead.

If you're planning on going to Evergreen now, then I'd say forget it. ETOPS/EROPS doesn't come into play on four engine aircraft till you're greater than 180 minutes away from suitable airports.

Take a look into Airline Ground Schools in CVG.

They get you to the point where can pass you're test and set a very good baseline. They don't overwhelm you with all the "extra" stuff that you end up relearning when you land a job. They get you the info needed to get the ticket and let you get out in the real world and learn off of it. I did the fast track since I was already a pilot but all of their programs were very well constructed and logical.

www.agschools.com

Their instructors are actual current dispatchers who come on days off to cover the classes. In my fast track class, we had the former SOC manager for Astar teach the first 4 days and a UPS mid-level manager teach the last day.

Also be "advised" that the ATP and ADX are two DIFFERENT tests (if you didn't know already). So while it is great to use ATP test prep, just note that while very similar, there are differences. The ATP has a lot of extra flying stuff added since its for pilots. I know of at least one story where a DX candidate took the ATP by accident and it wasn't found out until they showed up to take their practical since all of his prep had been with ATP stuff.

Thanks everyone! I do plan on driving down there if I decide to do this. My other major concern is finding a job. It's scary to think that I could spend that much money and not find a job. I understand that most people must relocate, especially for their first job. I'm only 22 so I'm having trouble deciding if living in some off the wall state like TX, WI, KY....etc all alone is really what I want. I can get a job right here at home making the same amount as an entry level dispatcher makes. Being young could also be a plus, an early start to a career that could end up making a decent amount of money. Iv'e been going to college for 3 years now spinning my wheels trying to figure out what I wanna do.

g767 Thank you for that information. I see their school is in KY though. I think Sheffield would be better as far as cost, simply because it's here in FL. I got the ATP book because supposedly it has test questions in it for the ADX test. BTW I get so confused when I'm reading these forums. All of the abbreviation and such , it's like a different language! :)

No worries; didn't know you were in Florida already. I just wanted to make sure that you noted the difference since it seems like you're just starting out in the field. I'd hate to see anyone take the wrong test. $140.00 just wasted.

If you like Florida, try to stay there. QOL (or lack there of) was one reason I didn't enjoy my last job, as I was also all alone in a state far away from family and friends. Even though I commuted, it still didn't feel right. Having those thoughts now means they may only get worse once the time actually comes to make that type of decision. There are plenty of 121s in the state. Amerijet and Spirit are the two that come to my mind at the moment. Last time I checked, Amerijet was hiring and I can only assume that Spirit will be real soon as well with all of their expanding. I think Silver Airways' dispatchers are in FLL (Fort Lauderdale) too.

I myself is looking to go to Sheffields (need vacation days first and the ability to take enough time off). Another company to look at in Florida is Sky King, they are located off of the Sun N Fun campus in Lakeland. I am going to try to check out their ops the next time I am down there. I also heard to stay away from Miami Air.

You may not have to leave FL. Move - Yes. There is Spirit Airlines and several smaller 121 companies and also alot of Pt 135 operators.
Only you can decide what is right for you.

Best of Luck

Thanks for that - was trying to decide whether or not to take the ETOPS workshop after finishing up the course. I wonder what your recommendation is if I am trying to get hired at an international airline with government contracts? Should I still wait to see if I even get hired on there?

Thanks for your input...
I went to FlightSafety, worked at a regional then went to an airline that did exactly what the airline you visited has done. I learned all of my ETOPS and International flight planning there. I find that the company training is very beneficial and informative, and since there are so many rules with ETOPS and ways to make something work, getting OJT with that topic is ALOT better than paying good money to learn just the same thing. You may as well get paid to learn ETOPS because the FARs can get pretty boring. If you have any question, please PM me, I have worked for a carrier VERY similar to the one you visited.

womanpilot73

I personally didn't like the Jeppesen program. Way to long and a sort of a waste IMO. If you're loving it then I'm happy for you though! However, let me share one bit of advice.

If you don't have any ETOPS knowledge or experience, it would be in your best bet to take the ETOPS add-on if you're still planning on going directly to Ryan International. Their fleet is all ETOPS except for one Delta 767 and the MD-80(s) (IIRC the 767 is N123DL but ETOPS principles still apply when flight planning the aircraft). In addition over half of their flying is ETOPS. Even though the company will re-train you for their operation (one reason why I didn't think Jeppesen was good), it would be extremely helpful with setting a good base for ETOPS. There are a lot of misconceptions about ETOPS and even though I did personal study about the subject for many years, I defiantly recommend someone just starting out to have a class about it instead.

If you're planning on going to Evergreen now, then I'd say forget it. ETOPS/EROPS doesn't come into play on four engine aircraft till you're greater than 180 minutes away from suitable airports.
Even though the ETOPS rules do not come into play, remember, you still need ETPs. Anything beyond 90 mins from a adequate, requires an ETP. The only thing you are not bound by are the "Rules of ETOPS" as set by ICAO/FAA since you have more than 3 engines. Even though I do not endorse ETOPS courses since you have to pay, if you are going to go to a company that flies the 47 or anything with more than 2 engines, than it is a great value, and also great experience. If you are going to work for a company like mine that has both 4 and 2 engine aircraft (747s/777s) that consistently operate under these rules, than save your money, and learn during ground school and OJT.

I totally forgot about Miami Air in the Pan Am facility at MIA airport. I was just there a few weeks ago. Seemed like a real solid operation although the office is kind of small. Everyone seemed real happy there.

Thanks for your input...

The ETOPS course can't hurt anything and it may look good on your resume, so if your "dream first job" does a lot of international it may help your resume...so if you've got the $$$ for it and want to take the class and have the extra day or two it would take, feel free. In my case, I primarily took the course for resume padding as well. However, I ended up not doing any international stuff other than Canada/Mexico for a long time. so I didn't really gain anything from it.

At my current carrier, everyone works domestic flights for at least a year before doing international training - and that training is where you learn how your company actually does things rather than a generic understanding of ETOPS. I guess what I am saying is, it can't really hurt anything, but I wouldn't count on it making any huge difference in your knowledge level or employability. If you can wait to take it, and come back after you have some actual experience dispatching, you'd likely get more out of the course. Just my opinion...

g767 said:
womanpilot73

To clarify to other forum members - g767 did not "attend" Jeppesen and his comment about not liking Jeppesen's dispatch program was based on what he felt he needed in his curriculum, per his experience. Once I complete Jepp's program next month, I'll comment on it as someone who's actually attended. I only say this because I don't want prospective dispatchers to be turned off Jepp because of that comment.

Back