KAP 140 audio volume

The Gardener

Terrafirma Phobic
The audio for the announcements and warnings on one of our autopilots is unruly. The manual doesn't address setting the volume. Does anybody have any suggestions or solutions?

Throw the KAP 140 out the window.

We had that happen on one of our Twinstars, I forget what the fix was... I THINK they had to go into the G1000 config and change something with the audio panel, but that doesn't seem right because I thought the KrAP 140 annunciators ran separate from the main audio system.

Throw the KAP 140 out the window.

We had that happen on one of our Twinstars, I forget what the fix was... I THINK they had to go into the G1000 config and change something with the audio panel, but that doesn't seem right because I thought the KrAP 140 annunciators ran separate from the main audio system.

No throwing of anything!

The KAP does work independently from the G1000, it blasts its warnings through the overhead speaker though.

Anyone, anyone!?? Please help save my ears.

No throwing of anything!

The KAP does work independently from the G1000, it blasts its warnings through the overhead speaker though.

Anyone, anyone!?? Please help save my ears.
If it's going through the overhead speaker, it's probably going through the audio panel of the G1000, in which case it can be adjusted through G1000 config stuff. I would think a good avionics shop should be able to fix this issue in about 10 minutes, but I don't think it's going to be something that you can do yourself.

No input other than when you know it's going to disconnect, plug your ears...that's what I ended up doing. God I hate that KAP140

Hey, i like it.. it does it's basic functions.. when it works anyways. As long as there is preselect, I'll be happy.

As for the OP, I would just ask mx maybe the next time you bring it in for a 100hr or what not. The warning is there for a reason so it may be nonadjustable, but I wouldn't think so..

Hey, i like it.. it does it's basic functions.. when it works anyways. As long as there is preselect, I'll be happy.

As for the OP, I would just ask mx maybe the next time you bring it in for a 100hr or what not. The warning is there for a reason so it may be nonadjustable, but I wouldn't think so..

It is certainly the loudest 140 our of our fleet. The others aren't too bad.

So far I've been really happy with the KAP140, what are you all finding that you don't like?

Cut the wire to the overhead speaker, problem solved!:D But seriously, just look in the manuals that come with it. What, you say you don't have the manuals? You can get them online for free usually ya' know.:D

(just a little friendly ribbing from the north,south,east,west stuff from the other day. :beer:)

I'm telling you, it can be adjusted. We had the same problem on a DA42 and it got fixed. Mx needs to either call Garmin or King and get the lowdown on how to do it. IIRC something causes the saved volume for the autopilot alerts to be deleted and it goes to full blast. I'm pretty sure it's in the GMA 1347 audio panel because IIRC our mechs were able to adjust it by going into the G1000 config pages.

So far I've been really happy with the KAP140, what are you all finding that you don't like?

Today, I just had it coupled to an ILS and it flew it all the way to DH just fine.. I was actually amazed.

One complaint would probably be that if you don't have the ball centered, it tends to pick it's own heading other than the one you have it set on.

Back