Barcelona, Milan, or Rome?

I theorize that making the best of things goes a long way in this career and in life, whether it’s appreciating a corner store sammich and beer on a short layover or killing long call reserve time getting lost on a bicycle. The number of guys (even relatively new hires so they haven’t had time to get jaded yet) who will sit around the crashpad on their computer or watching TV when it’s 65 and sunny in SF is kinda baffling.

I agree. What I'm currently trying to do is get happy about the fact that every showtime for me this month is at 5 am. Should have probably worked that into my bid a little better. But it did, probably because of this, get me two 19-23 hr credit 3 days. Which is pretty wild.

Gonna be pretty funny when they bring the 717 back to the mainland. "Hey, the compass doesn't have "030-130" or "210-320"....is that on a CDL?"

"Don't worry, you won't need those headings. Just put Orange County on the nose"

Just rotate the compass mirror a bit.

I dunno why I remember this so much but day 3 of 4 in RIC one time there was a Wawa in the parking lot. A nice tall boy, a good sammich, and probably some of the best sleep I’ve ever gotten on an early morning trip.

Nothing will ever compare to the one time in FresYes on Thanksgiving Night. We'd repo'd a plane from SAN to FAT, with FAT being 700RVR. Got to the wonderfully ghetto University Place Hotel. Still 700RVR, nothing is open...so Capt and I went to the 7/11 behind the hotel. We walk in, and I truly believe we walked in right before a robbery happened. Got stared at pretty hard while we quickly picked out lunchables and beer, and nearly ran back to the hotel.

I agree. What I'm currently trying to do is get happy about the fact that every showtime for me this month is at 5 am. Should have probably worked that into my bid a little better. But it did, probably because of this, get me two 19-23 hr credit 3 days. Which is pretty wild.
Have you tried being more senior?

Given how many people I’ve flown with who spent years commuting to reserve, and assuming I’ll be back there after the summer, I’m ecstatic with whatever line I get through the summer. Especially if I can trade down and have 18 days off like I do this month.

Have you tried being more senior?

Given how many people I’ve flown with who spent years commuting to reserve, and assuming I’ll be back there after the summer, I’m ecstatic with whatever line I get through the summer. Especially if I can trade down and have 18 days off like I do this month.

Oh I’m not complaining by any means, big picture, pretty great improvement to the lines id been getting previously

I mean if you’ve never done Rome… I feel like you have too just in what is there. I did our real honeymoon there. I’ll remind the room that likes to crap on what is no doubt an Italian tourist city… there are things in Rome that simply do not exist outside of that location.

Do the tourist thing, do the big stuff… pay for an English tour of the Vatican… see if you can do an actual catholic mass whether you are or aren’t. My wife and I got to listened to the actual Pope give ones another couple we know got their new born blessed by him which was a big deal for mom. There is nothing at Trevi fountain except a bunch of people wanting to take your picture for Euro. And the place is broken down by mass transit where you are either in a position to see Vatican catholic stuff or Roman Empire stuff… don’t try to mix your day. We purposefully stayed in the Vatican area so we could do small samples of that and then train over to the main Roman areas and get a bit of both. Big thing is ask the locals where they would eat. Don’t follow fromer on that, talk to the guy working a gift shop “where would you get lunch.”

But if this is a where to most chill enjoy vacation and site seeing, Barcelona.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My main memory of Rome was in maybe 2001 or 2002, when i was in college, and me, my parents, my big brother, and my GF (now wife) met up there, and then drove to a remote mountain town a couple hours away where we had rented a villa. But on the Roma subject, I got there, met my brother, we walked around the ruins and then went to dinner at a pizza place and i literally fell asleep in the middle of our meal. We ended up catching my GF at some hostel, and then i fell sound asleep (I’d been up for like 38 hours by that point) until she rolled off the side of our bed. The next morning my parents picked us all up from the train station in Ancona in a Skoda station wagon and we made the drive to the villa. In hindsight, the next week was probably the most relaxing time I’ve had in years.

My main memory of Rome was in maybe 2001 or 2002, when i was in college, and me, my parents, my big brother, and my GF (now wife) met up there, and then drove to a remote mountain town a couple hours away where we had rented a villa. But on the Roma subject, I got there, met my brother, we walked around the ruins and then went to dinner at a pizza place and i literally fell asleep in the middle of our meal. We ended up catching my GF at some hostel, and then i fell sound asleep (I’d been up for like 38 hours by that point) until she rolled off the side of our bed. The next morning my parents picked us all up from the train station in Ancona in a Skoda station wagon and we made the drive to the villa. In hindsight, the next week was probably the most relaxing time I’ve had in years.

I lived in Italy as a kid when my dad was stationed there, and I visited later in life when I was stationed in Germany.

I felt bad for my folks after our trip to Rome just because I knew that 48 hour trip my dad did when I was 9 was the most my folks to afford to do. Meanwhile my wife and I did 6 days there and had a magic experience.

To the wider group Rome is worth seeing… once… with a long enough duration to get all the big boxes checked. I remember my parents pictures of us standing in the parts of the Colosseum you arent allowed in anymore pissing off several women I dated in College who had only ever read about that stuff in art history. I also remember my wife being in tears seeing “Laocoon and his sons” and basically making me fight to get a good photo of it because she had studied it in so much of her life. And the Pieta which if you’re catholic is literally THE imagery of art to see in your life.

Do Rome, spend the money to see it.

Last edited:
I lived in Italy as a kid when my dad was stationed there, and I visited later in life when I was stationed in Germany.

I felt bad for my folks after our trip to Rome just because I knew that 48 hour trip my dad did when I was 9 was the most my folks to afford to do. Meanwhile my wife and I did 6 days there and had a magic experience.

To the wider group Rome is worth seeing… once… with a king enough duration to get all the big boxes checked. I remember my parents pictures of us standing in the parts of the Colosseum you arent allowed in anymore pissing off several women I dated in Colette who had only ever read about that stuff. I also remember my wife being in tears seeing “Laocoon and his sons” and basically making me fight to get a good photo of it because she had studied it in so much of her life. And the Pieta which if you’re catholic is literally THE imagery of art to see in your life.

Do Rome, spend the money to see it.

No reason to feel bad. I bet they were super proud to be able to take you back then. And it sounds like it was cool. And also they are probably proud you have done things in your life that allows such a trip.

Sadly no. Against all manner of common sense, I’m transitioning to the left seat on the guppy.

I do LOSA work for ALPA so I can really go anywhere. Some rest rules apply but everything is technically a deadhead.
Why would you do that. Don’t like the long haul?

Why would you do that. Don’t like the long haul?
I just really want to wear dad jeans and new balance shoes in their natural environment. 😜

WB life is fantastic. Just felt it was time for the change. I may have regerts in some areas but heck, it’s only a two year seat lock.

I feel like the litmus tests for what a decent restaurant in Rome are do they open somewhat late? At minimum 6pm, preferably later. And do they have little to no reviews on Yelp. Because locals don’t use that crap.

I feel like the litmus tests for what a decent restaurant in Rome are do they open somewhat late? At minimum 6pm, preferably later. And do they have little to no reviews on Yelp. Because locals don’t use that crap.

If it opens before 8pm it’s there for the tourists.

I completely forgot that my first night there. We had a drippy chicken place in the village we lived in, from 7-9 the only people you would see eating in there all worked with my dad.

Back