Well at least the 787 is doing ok, right?

777 has been around long enough that some are going to scrap - you'd think that if they had an issue it would have manifested by now. Less certain about the 787.

777 has been around long enough that some are going to scrap - you'd think that if they had an issue it would have manifested by now. Less certain about the 787.
Depends on the model. The 772 has been around since 94, at least in testing, and the 2 unfortunate Malaysian crashes were so far the only fatal losses and mass groundings never happened. 77W is also rather steller in reputation. The 77X? Lots of problems. Cash them lined up outside at PAE, how bout that?

Beyond the folding winglets and changes to the tail, I'm not sure what the major gremlins are holding the 777X back as it's basically just a 77W NEO to my understanding.

Last edited:
777X has a completely new composite wing, not just the extra folding wingtips.

I'm a little skeptical about this one. The 777 program as a whole has been solid since its inception. There have been delays on the 777X, initially on the GE-9X engine, some related to certification of the folding wingtips, but overall it just got caught in the •storm between COVID and the MAX debacle. It seems to be a solid airplane up to this point, outside of some possibly disappointing performance numbers due to the GE-9X having less thrust than the GE-90-115B on the 777-300ER. But that seems to be the trend with all new airplane models these days. The 787 took a while to get back on track. They managed to take a plane that nailed its market segment and basically sold itself, and still screw up the execution. Thank the bean counters and their hard on for outsourcing. While they mostly got their supplier quality issues sorted, the quality control issues at their Charleston union busting plant are known at this point. I've been removed from that world long enough now that I don't know if they've been resolved or not yet.

I'm a little skeptical about this one. The 777 program as a whole has been solid since its inception. There have been delays on the 777X, initially on the GE-9X engine, some related to certification of the folding wingtips, but overall it just got caught in the •storm between COVID and the MAX debacle. It seems to be a solid airplane up to this point, outside of some possibly disappointing performance numbers due to the GE-9X having less thrust than the GE-90-115B on the 777-300ER. But that seems to be the trend with all new airplane models these days. The 787 took a while to get back on track. They managed to take a plane that nailed its market segment and basically sold itself, and still screw up the execution. Thank the bean counters and their hard on for outsourcing. While they mostly got their supplier quality issues sorted, the quality control issues at their Charleston union busting plant are known at this point. I've been removed from that world long enough now that I don't know if they've been resolved or not yet.
Don’t forget the time they blew a door out during testing.

Fun fact, there is an engineering team and a (I think slat/leading edge flap) production effort for the 777X in the STL plant, right next to the F-15 offices and F-15 production line. To your point, while there is nothing wrong with any of this, I think the company would be well served to re-consolidate production efforts to one geographic area, or even one *plant* (gasp)

It's not even clear what the allegation is. Is this related to the fuselage fitting issues we already knew about?

Yeah but he is ramping it up it seems. I think at this point Boeing should probably not try to discredit the guy and maybe actually take him seriously.

Back