Travel

Hootie

Old Skool
Just curious if I am posting in the wrong section, but I'm looking around JC for maybe some topics or posts or forums by some more hardcore travel bennie abusers. Where are good places to go see? Any brand of guidebook? Foreign neccesities (Skype phone...what is that?)? Districts to avoid/seek, Basically how to travel overseas done right and where should a person start. I figure I have way too much time off and I am wasting the perk of my benifits if I don't go at least somewhere cool. As of right now I think I'd like to try out either Buenos Aires, Thailand, or Germany (Berlin)....Thanks!

I think I'd like to try out either Buenos Aires, Thailand, or Germany (Berlin)....Thanks!

Well that covers some of the world's hot spots for the indulgence of one's kinky fetishes.

Don't forget Rio and Manila.

:)

But seriously...

Europe is kind of expensive at the moment and the loads over the Atlantic on Southern Jets show full most of the time.

I kind of prefer Latin America.

!El cheapo!

Taking my wife to Antigua, Guatemala in about a week. Check it out on www.Frommers.com

Planning on white water rafting, volcano hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, etc.....

Our loads to GUA are wide open so far.

Where are good places to go see?

Everywhere. Especially those places that you can't see when you're 85 years old and need a walker.

Any brand of guidebook?

Not Rick Steves. It's like traveling Europe in a hyperbaric chamber and you miss a lot of the good stuff.

Foreign neccesities (Skype phone...what is that?)?

Skype's nice, but you'll have more fun when you're a little off the grid and aren't worrying about stuff too much.

Districts to avoid/seek,

See everything.

Basically how to travel overseas done right and where should a person start.

Germany is very easy. Clean, affordable, great food and a great starter.

A few travel tools...

Preliminary planning - Wiki travel

Guide books, online planning, travel forums - Lonely Planet

and now for some tips...

- when nonreving, don't plan too much and go with the flow
- always have backup ZED or ID90 fares to another major hub to get you there/home when possible (saved our bacon more than once!)
- don't do the 'normal' tourist thing much, but be careful when treading on new ground
- learn about the local culture and language before you go, they will appreciate it and you will have an easier time moving around
- don't be the stereotypical American tourist, blend in and respect others
- travel during the off peak season
- pay for things with your credit/debit card when possible (better exchange rate)
- pay local merchants in their currency though
- notify your bank or credit card company before you leave the U.S. about your intended travels and spending habits so they don't shut it off
- make copies of your passport and keep it separate and secure
- always introduce yourself to the purser and flight crew and thank them for the ride, even on foreign carriers
- never check any bags!

I think that is about it for now, time for a nap I am running on 5 hours of sleep :)

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies!! I guess I need to just pick a place and go. I need to look into the ID90/ZED thing a little more cause I have no clue how that works. Thanks again!

And always carry cash. You can use a credit card 99% of the places you go domestically, but overseas, a surprising number of establishments do not accept credit.

Just curious if I am posting in the wrong section, but I'm looking around JC for maybe some topics or posts or forums by some more hardcore travel bennie abusers.

In the past year I've done Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Paris, St. Maarten, Sydney & Melbourne, Tokyo, Athens, Lisbon and northern Portugal and one day in Spain, and Hong Kong.

I only got bumped once and got first class a bunch of times. Total cost including departure taxes, accommodations in hostels, food, everything, probably about $1700 and the trips ranged from three days to seven days in length.

Where are good places to go see?

Basically wherever you want to see! I've got a photo book called Heaven on Earth by Life magazine. They picked 100 places around the world that most likely make a good trip, so I've gotten some ideas from that book but many of them are places you'd think of anyway.

Any brand of guidebook?

WikiTravel has usually had some good suggestions of the big stuff to see and do for a first trip to whatever location I'd be on my way to. I'd usually read it on the plane ride over after reading the sections about non-sightseeing stuff (like how to get from the airport to where I was staying, exchange rates, etc.)

A lot of people say Lonely Planet is good, I think I looked at that online for one or two of the trips.

The Eyewitness travel books (they have a "DK" on the binding) have great descriptions of lots of sights at a given place.

Foreign neccesities (Skype phone...what is that?)?

I don't know; I brought my laptop on a few trips because many hostels now have free WiFi and if they don't there's usually a cafe or something nearby that does. But now that my laptop is dead I haven't brought anything on recent trips and it's fine. I just go and disappear for a few days, and the day before going home I go to some internet cafe and spend a buck or two and check-in for the flight back and look at what will be a good backup if needed.

For money, I take out the local currency at an ATM when I first arrive and I make that an amount that I think will cover the entire trip. If there is leftover, I just keep it when I get home because by the time the next trip rolls around, those Euros or whatever are worth more since the dollar has inevitably fallen more between trips.

Districts to avoid/seek, Basically how to travel overseas done right and where should a person start.

Just take a look online at where you're staying and make sure it's not someplace bad.

As I mentioned I've mostly stayed at hostels but in Frankfurt my friend found a great deal at a really nice downtown hotel on priceline two days before we went. We took the risk of not getting over there at all and bought the hotel room for a low price.

I've done about half of my non-rev trips in the past year alone and half with co-worker friends whom are also pilots, so they're flexible with the passriding stuff too.

I usually look on Hostelling International's website for places. They are basically the AAA of hostels. I have yet to have a bad experience at one of the places they approve. I typically opt for not quite the cheapest option. They might have a 10 person room that's $15 a night, but for $20 a night you can get in a 5 person room. Well, I'd pay the five bucks and take out half the crowd. There's less chance of people snoring or making noise in the night/early morning etc. That's the last thing you need when you're far away from home.

Many of the hostels have lockers and you can just put a deposit down for the lock and get it back a few days later when you check out. If they don't have a locker, and sometimes what I do anyway, is I have a bike lock and I double-wrap it around two parts of my Purdy Neat bag and chain that to the radiator and/or the bed. Then I lock anything important in the suitcase with two locks. Now that I don't bring my laptop though, there's not much left in the room since I'll have my camera out and about with me and passport and the rest is obviously in my pocket.

Some of these hostels are more than just accommodations; they are great fun if you are young. The place me and a buddy stayed at in Sydney was awesome. It is called WakeUp! Hostel and if you go to Sydney, stay there. I walked into my 10-bed room and there were 9 girls from Europe on the floor painting their nails and reading magazines. The 10th bed was mine. Some also slept topless. Anyway, they had a great bar and live music in the basement and stuff.

Or the place I stayed at in Japan, looked so perfectly Japanese. The table was about a foot off the ground and lots of decorations and stuff. It was like staying in an apartment. I went all around the city with a German girl I met there and her friend came out with us the last day; they went back to Germany the day I went back to the states.

So anyway a lot of people don't want to try staying in a hostel but I've bad it be much better than a hotel would have been, more than half the time so far. For $20 a night you can't beat it.

I figure I have way too much time off and I am wasting the perk of my benifits if I don't go at least somewhere cool. As of right now I think I'd like to try out either Buenos Aires, Thailand, or Germany (Berlin)....Thanks!

Yeah, you need to use them if able, when able! I fly with captains who envy my freedom as a single person with these travel benefits. I say something like "I might go to ___ when this trip ends if we get back on time, but I might not get first." Then they say 'JUST GO' and talk about how they still wish they had the free time they had a few years prior. Very, very few people have the means to travel to far away places on their days off. Despite what people say about travel privileges being useless, I have found they are not. You have to be flexible and use common sense. So I'm gonna keep this up as long as I can since there's a lot more out there than Home Depot and Starbuck's. Although the second floor of the Shibuya Starbucks in Tokyo is a great view of the world's busiest pedestrian crossing. :)

Hey MDD.... do you think there's any location in Latin America that is safe for a woman to travel alone? you've been there enough...so i figured you might have an idea.

I too want to start using my benny's again but doug can't always go when i can.....so.....

uhhh are you hallucinating again? you should be napping ;)

where do you see that i called him a girl?

Hey MDD.... do you think there's any location in Latin America that is safe for a woman to travel alone? you've been there enough...so i figured you might have an idea.

I too want to start using my benny's again but doug can't always go when i can.....so.....

San Jose, Costa Rica is safe. My beautiful bride wants a companion to go there (for fun, not safety) as she is in the same position. I get home and have no desire to travel!!!!!!!! She wants to get away--even though she travels 200,000 miles per year for work!

Back