Side jobs flying

I do keep my CFI current just because it was a hard certificate to earn and it’s so easy to renew. But I haven’t touched a GA airplane since I was an instructor. If I got back into GA there’s no way I could fly one of those without a couple hours of instruction again. That sight picture on landing is long gone.

I do keep my CFI current just because it was a hard certificate to earn and it’s so easy to renew. But I haven’t touched a GA airplane since I was an instructor. If I got back into GA there’s no way I could fly one of those without a couple hours of instruction again. That sight picture on landing is long gone.
I’ll fully admit I’m basically scared to get into GA again. Too much traffic buzzing around, too many close calls, and having one engine just seems like it would be more nerve wracking than enjoyable. I can respect someone’s passion and having it be their hobby, but it’s not my cup of tea anymore.

As someone who (legally) flies for two jobs, it is a lot. You learn a lot, and everything becomes bigger picture because of it, but it is a lot of time not at home, not installing that refurbished instrument cluster into your 33 year old car, not cutting up downed tree limbs from wind storms, not grilling, not doing a lot of things. But you are sky captain 24/7, and you not only know when SEA is on N flow, but you also know when NAS Whidbey is on some weird runway. And you did both in a 24 hour window. So yay you :)

I’ll fully admit I’m basically scared to get into GA again
Someone around here said it was just as risky as riding a motorcycle. That didnt sound like something i'd do while dragging the kids along and trust a 60 year old beater engine with questionable mx.

Havent flown a GA plane since starting 121 (13 years) because it was expensive, now I dont do it cus im scared.

Someone around here said it was just as risky as riding a motorcycle. That didnt sound like something i'd do while dragging the kids along and trust a 60 year old beater engine with questionable mx.

Havent flown a GA plane since starting 121 (13 years) because it was expensive, now I dont do it cus im scared.
I was sure I’d never be one of those guys. Then two piston engines replaced one, then one turbine engine replaced two pistons, then pressurization and 270 knot speeds added options, and now I’m loving life with 2 jet engines, an APU, hot wings and tail, and another guy next to me to help keep me out of trouble. Going back to flying piston singles just seems…exhausting.

Why would you want to? Unless you have a special deal with someone who's paying you under the table or you have some other obligation to that operator, that juice just isn't worth the squeeze, drama or, quite frankly, the risk. If you want to make more coin, most outfits have a way of doing that which is guaranteed to be more lucrative.

One day you're going to be at your other job, and you're going to be AOG because reasons, and it WILL conflict with you main gig. Or there's a, god forbid, incident/accident. And that's if you're playing it straight. Knew one guy in a previous life that banged out sick to ferry an airplane and wound up gearing it up. I'll take "conversations you don't want to have for $100".

OTOH, regular GA is fine, but I do chortle a little bit about "there's sooooo much traffic these days". GA operates at a fraction of the size it used to, most places are ghost towns, we have neato ADSB which shows nearly everything out for 30 miles, including position, direction, altitude, airspeed, and N number. We got satellite or FIS weather, internet weather briefings and WAY more information than we ever had back in the day including Google pictures of the airport. Cell phones for clearances and GPS good down to the meter with detailed moving map displays. I get the SE engine worry, but we also now have engine monitors that watch every aspect of the engine performance.

I won't get into "back in the day", but we had none of that, and somehow survived.

GA has lost a lot of luster for me, but it’s not completely gone. I fly GA 2-4hrs a month to stay current and do the $100 breakfast or burger run. It is also quite convenient to load the golf clubs and head up to Boyne, Traverse City or Mackinac Island for the weekend. The 1hr flight sure beats the 4hr drive. Also, MI is very GA friendly, during spring/summer/fall there are Dawn Patrols (Breakfast) every weekend. There’s also a FB group that organizes monthly fly-ins throughout MI

Are there any airlines/Air Lines that allow outside flying that counts towards your flight duty limit? I’ve heard of flying being approved by the CP that doesn’t count towards your flight duty limit. Apparently my shop is coming out with a LOA that would be entertain flying outside of the company that counts towards your flight duty limit (with CP approval). I have my own theories but it’s the first I’ve ever heard of something like this.

When I was in a flying club there were a couple of CA's from two of the majors that I took instruction from. They never said it was against their rules and I didn't ask. The only thing they asked was Cash on Delivery.... ;-) But I get that part of it.. But I suppose they were just providing a required checkout for the club....

Back