Personal equipment that made your lives easier at work

BCTAv8r

Any suggestions for any non-company issued equipment that has made your lives as a line guy/girl much easier?

- Was issued some leather gloves that got wet once and got hard. I couldn't even write with them anyways prior to their demise so I didn't care too much. Bought myself a pair of craftsman ultratouch gloves from Sears and they are perfect. They are made from some sort of cloth so liquids can still penetrate through, so I just use latex gloves underneath.
-Got myself one of those earpeace things for my radio. Was tired of getting yelled at for missing radio calls (nevermind the fact that I am right under an APU:banghead:)

Anyways, I have to buy new shows for work. What's a durable one that isn't too expensive?

Quick donning ear protection. Plugs are a pain and take too much time, eventually you start to not use anything. So get something you can toss on quickly.

Don't put latex gloves on under your work gloves. You end up sweating and breaking out in a rash. Just toss your regular gloves on the defroster every time you're in a vehicle, and in the office find a register and make it your spot. I would stick to the cheap hardware store heavy leather gloves because you'll go through them all so fast you need to treat them as a disposable item. 20 dollar gloves don't last any longer than 3 dollar ones.

As for the boots, my old Fbo gave us 100 bucks per year, so I always spent the extra money and got Redwings. They last longer, have a 0 day break in period, the store will oil them for free, give you free laces, and you can get them re-soled for 60 bucks. If this is going to be a short term gig for you buy what ever you want, if you think the ramp will be a career move, well... you'll learn what works for you.

What climate do you work in?

Cold outside? Synthetic wicking long jons, do not buy cotton! Neck gator/hat combo. Wool socks. Boots insulated with gortex. Insulated gloves. Economy size hot chocolate. Shades dude. Breathable rain suit.

Hot out there? Nalgene. Sunblock. Hat. Shades dude. Breathable rain suit.

Get a bag of those cheap Bic pens that click open. (no cap to loose, one hand operation.)

Small note book. For writing notes, requests, ect.

Gammon tec plug.-Your fbo should have these. Then find the proper grounding location on each aircraft you work with so you don't look like a tool crawling around under the airplane!

Always check the volume on your radio! Missing calls is a typical rookie mistake. Don't get down when your co-workers bust your balls but, make it a habit to always check the volume is on full!

Good luck, I hope you enjoy your time on the ramp as much as I did.

I always carried a small flat screwdriver in my pocket along with my pen. I didn't have to go looking for one when I couldn't get a fuel cap off. And as previously mentioned, quick donning ear protection. Totally 100% worth it.

When it's cold outside (usually around 10° for the morning airline run), I bring some winter gloves and put them inside of my work gloves. The work great. Like Gumps said, I usually stick them up on the defroster every chance I get. Makes the cold so much more tolerable.

Instead of latex gloves, go with the Nitrile gloves (usually blue). No rashes, a little more durable. I always just put on 2 or 3 pairs, and its surprising how much warmth they will keep in on a NW winter night. Plus you can still write easily.

A headlamp can be a priceless piece of equipment on a dark ramp. (If you work swing or grave) Will save you from a soaking yourself in Jet A when fueling a king air or 1900 at 2 am with all the whole cargo fleet departing. (can't hear a thing!)

:yeahthat:

:banghead: How could I forget the head lamp and little flat screw driver!!:banghead:

I'm lost without my notepad and my Pilot G2 0.5 mm pen. I used it to keep track of how far down the fuel trucks are, what's coming in/already on the ramp (tail #, type, arrival and departure times, and wingspans in terms of feet and how many 15' concrete blocks each will take on the ramp), and fuel requests.

I also connect one of those shoulder microphone/speaker things to my two-way and clip it on my shirt collar; it makes hearing calls easier on a loud ramp and I don't have to take the radio off my belt to talk and clip it back on when I'm done.

A transceiver is a big help, too; I set it to scan tower, ground, and unicom, so I can hear what's going on if I'm not in the front office or line room, and I'm less suprised when the planes that FlightAware doesn't show (i.e. blocked aircraft, VFR flights) show up, and therefore, are unable to park themselves in a bad spot.

When it's cold outside (usually around 10° for the morning airline run), I bring some winter gloves and put them inside of my work gloves. The work great. Like Gumps said, I usually stick them up on the defroster every chance I get. Makes the cold so much more tolerable.

Check the weather before you go to work too... one time, here in Florida, I went to work as usual and as soon as I got to work I noticed that I put on shorts instead of pants when it was like 65 degrees!!! BURRRR!! For about an hour there I was a little chilly! Then the sun came out and it was around 80!!
:nana2::nana2::nana2:

Back