Last Classic 747 operating for a US airline retires

Oh well, I'm sure future pilots will think the same of the current era. That's a scary thought.......:(

Future pilots will be jealous of us because they'll be monitoring airplane automation from a remote terminal on the ground. Probably in a windowless building, just to add insult to injury.

During the Nam campaign, G.I.s were
flown into Kai Tak
for their 7 day R&R. Depending on me·te·or·o·log·i·cal conditions, into and out of Kai Tak was the highlight of their tour. "Landing at Kai Tak was actually more perilous than landing in Vietnam." https://www.google.com/search?q=Kai+Tak+R&R&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 2.03.02 PM.png

I never had the opportunity to fly the classic but I've flown the -400 and the -8. I remember during my initial training on the -400 the training Capt. wanted to demo a max thrust takeoff with an empty airplane out of JFK. We were taking it to YYZ so had a light fuel load as well. We took off like a bat out of hell and it was damn near scary. We rotated just before the displaced threshold and I had to force myself to pitch up beyond where I had ever had an airliner...and we were still accelerating. The tower controller came over the radio and said, that was cool!" lol.

The -8 has so much power it's ridiculous. The thing is programmed to fly like a -400 and has the same cockpit but underneath it may as well be an alien spacecraft. Still loud as someone mentioned and my ears have paid the price. However, I am so glad I have had the opportunity to fly it. The 777 is a great aircraft but still doesn't have the mystique. Too bad at my shop the 747 carries a rotten schedule or I would have stayed on it.

Back