Just got hired as a Delta Airlines Ready Reserve Ramp Agent

Re: Just got hired as a Delta Airlines Ready Reserve Ramp Ag

Yeah, 70-90 degree turning limits are pretty nice.
Or 360 on Gulfstreams when you disconnect the scissors. Sure is nice when you have to corner a G something real tight. Flip the gear around and push it in.

Or 360 on Gulfstreams when you disconnect the scissors. Sure is nice when you have to corner a G something real tight. Flip the gear around and push it in.
I'd assume Delta still does it, but we had to disconnect the scissors on the CRJ-200s on every push for some reason. Boy did those things hurt if you were doing it by yourself and they pinched you...

I'd assume Delta still does it, but we had to disconnect the scissors on the CRJ-200s on every push for some reason. Boy did those things hurt if you were doing it by yourself and they pinched you...

Hawkers were a real bitch from what I remember. First the damn pin that holds the scissor pins in place, then the pin itself. We always had to use a pair of plyers on those.

King Airs have a fairly awesome turn limit, but the Pilatus was even better. It was probably 85 degrees either side on the PC12.

I think the biggest thing I ever moved was an XJT ERJ145. The kid I was working with got a little too excited when he found out he had to ride the brakes in the cockpit. Myspace pictures and all.

Even though we were an FBO, we got to tow Saab 340's quite frequently. Mesaba was pretty smart though with the Saabs. Whenever we would have a massive snowstorm forecasted (6+ inches overnight) they would rent hangar space from a competing FBO so they wouldn't have to use tons of deice fluid in the morning. The catch was that we would tow them down there when they came in for the RON and bring them back in the morning. One time doing this I had to pull a Saab through 5 inches of snow on an unplowed ramp. We made one attempt, promptly got stuck then called the tower and asked them to send the brooms to the ramp to clear a path for us. The controller said they couldn't because Eagle was trying to leave and they needed everyone on the runway just to keep it open. On the second attempt, we managed to get going through rocking back and forth while simultaneously destroying the tranny on the tug. Once we got going I had the pedal floored the entire way to the gate (1.5 miles or so) just to keep moving. It was a grand old time.

The best part about towing is when you're on an icy ramp and someone has to stand on the tow bar to keep the nose wheel from sliding around. Good times.

Ahh, towing stories. I have tons it seems like.

Hawkers were a real bitch from what I remember. First the damn pin that holds the scissor pins in place, then the pin itself. We always had to use a pair of plyers on those.

King Airs have a fairly awesome turn limit, but the Pilatus was even better. It was probably 85 degrees either side on the PC12.

I think the biggest thing I ever moved was an XJT ERJ145. The kid I was working with got a little too excited when he found out he had to ride the brakes in the cockpit. Myspace pictures and all.

Even though we were an FBO, we got to tow Saab 340's quite frequently. Mesaba was pretty smart though with the Saabs. Whenever we would have a massive snowstorm forecasted (6+ inches overnight) they would rent hangar space from a competing FBO so they wouldn't have to use tons of deice fluid in the morning. The catch was that we would tow them down there when they came in for the RON and bring them back in the morning. One time doing this I had to pull a Saab through 5 inches of snow on an unplowed ramp. We made one attempt, promptly got stuck then called the tower and asked them to send the brooms to the ramp to clear a path for us. The controller said they couldn't because Eagle was trying to leave and they needed everyone on the runway just to keep it open. On the second attempt, we managed to get going through rocking back and forth while simultaneously destroying the tranny on the tug. Once we got going I had the pedal floored the entire way to the gate (1.5 miles or so) just to keep moving. It was a grand old time.

The best part about towing is when you're on an icy ramp and someone has to stand on the tow bar to keep the nose wheel from sliding around. Good times.

Ahh, towing stories. I have tons it seems like.
I got signed off to tow right about the time I left, but I have seen some crazy tows. Like trying to push a King Air in the hangar and have it blow almost 90 degrees. I had to run and slide under the wing with ice chalks while it was sliding and place them behind the tires. Crazy stuff.

Back