Hearing protection?

SJM

Do you guys use hearing protection when near jets only, or do you wear something when near any kind of plane?

When I first started working I only wore earmuffs when around jets and TPs... only the ones that made it uncomfortable to be without hearing protection. Now my philosophy is to wear them anytime I can, even when marshalling 172s and the like.

Do you guys use hearing protection when near jets only, or do you wear something when near any kind of plane?

When I first started working I only wore earmuffs when around jets and TPs... only the ones that made it uncomfortable to be without hearing protection. Now my philosophy is to wear them anytime I can, even when marshalling 172s and the like.

I always wear them... If there is an APU on around me, I put them in. I have enough hearing issues, I don't need to make it worse. And you never realize it until its too late.

After one incident at BCB with a Mu-2, I vowed to always have some sort of hearing protection on me at all times. I was finishing up fueling the line of Avgas requests and the Mu-2 showed up on the ramp. Everyone else had gone to the game, so I parked the tug and tender and ran over to marshall the ugly thing into a parking spot on the already packed ramp. Of course, since I was just fueling, my hearing protection was inside and I didn't want to make the guy wait, so I just brought him in. The volume and pitch of those engines made me want to cry and vomit on the spot. It is by far the loudest and nastiest sound I've ever experienced and I guarantee I messed something up in my ears that day.

Later, when I worked the line at Dulles, I'd always wear hearing protection. I have to pass medicals for a long time, still, so I didn't need to be ruining my hearing at 19 and 20. I'd obviously take them out when the jets had come in and the APUs were off, but once I heard the APU begin its spool I'd shove them back in.

As for my method? Disposable, in-ear.

I don't wear hearing prtection around single/light twin pistons. However, near anything turbojet/prop I will. My airport enviornment doesn't have alot of turboprop aircraft so I do use them that often.

SmithSE said it, I've got hearing issues as it is and we as pilots have to maintain medicals and part of that is being able to hear.

As for my method? Disposable, in-ear.

Not a big fan of those. Not only do I lose them all the time but they also get dirty after a couple of hours (I use them throughout one shift). I've owned the ear muffs type for a couple of months now and they work great. They protect my hearing much better and I never lose it. I do forget to bring it with me sometimes though so I keep a few of the in-ear types in my vest pocket.

Also, I hate the MU-2 just as much as you do. Aviation would be much better without it. Runner up (noise wise) is the APU on the the G150.

After one incident at BCB with a Mu-2, I vowed to always have some sort of hearing protection on me at all times. I was finishing up fueling the line of Avgas requests and the Mu-2 showed up on the ramp. Everyone else had gone to the game, so I parked the tug and tender and ran over to marshall the ugly thing into a parking spot on the already packed ramp. Of course, since I was just fueling, my hearing protection was inside and I didn't want to make the guy wait, so I just brought him in. The volume and pitch of those engines made me want to cry and vomit on the spot. It is by far the loudest and nastiest sound I've ever experienced and I guarantee I messed something up in my ears that day.

Same thing happened to me. Only it was a Merlin. As far as I have ever experienced, that is the LOUDEST plane EVER. Sure seemed like it.

I guess I never realised how lucky I am in this regard, working for a regional.

Our company is required by OSHA to issue hearing protection. So we have a big box of "Spark Plugs". It's a foam in-ear disposeable. It's true that they get dirty quickly, but since my shift is only 10 hours, and I get a new pair each day, that is not a factor.

Every once in a while, we get the 3M brand orange plugs. I love these. They are firmer, so if put in properly, they form better to the ear and the denser material surpresses sound much more.

Don't EVER use the in ear with the solid plastic loop that goes over your head. Each step I take you hear the plastic loop moving. Annoying as heck.

The muffs are OK, but they get annoying if you wear them all day. Plus in the summer heat, the sweat builds up, and it's just one big mess.

I wear my plugs at all times. I lost taste in half my tongue last year, I'm not about to loose another sense.

The FBO I used to work at in FSD didn't have much of a regulated/mandatory hearing protection for everyone. Eventually last summer, they made it mandatory and ended up supplying everyone with the muffs. Before, we used the "spark plugs". The muffs worked a lot better. I could keep my gloves on and be able to fuel and if a jet came in, throw them on real quick.

I learned especially at the start of my line job of hearing protection when a Beechjet came in. Those engines whine so LOUD its worse than hearing the Metros running on the other side of the ramp.

I learned especially at the start of my line job of hearing protection when a Beechjet came in. Those engines whine so LOUD its worse than hearing the Metros running on the other side of the ramp.

We call them B*tchjets because they suck to fuel, and as you mentioned, are loud as hell.

Back