Ground School, 30 in 168, part 117

808av8

I tried to do a search on this prior to posting so I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed.

Someone I know has a 2 day trip followed by a 3 day immediately followed by two days of ground school. And during this period there is no 30 hours free from duty. Is this legal?? I'm guessing I know the answer but wanted some feedback here.

I tried to do a search on this prior to posting so I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed.

Someone I know has a 2 day trip followed by a 3 day immediately followed by two days of ground school. And during this period there is no 30 hours free from duty. Is this legal?? I'm guessing I know the answer but wanted some feedback here.

It is legal, since the 30 hours free in 168 only applies to FDP, and not duty. In this case, the pilot would have 5 FDP days, which is less than 168 hours. The training event isn't an FDP, it just cannot be considered rest, hence the separate definitions for FDP and Duty in 117.3.

They would have to have 30 hours off after the training event before they could begin another FDP.

Back