FAR 117 56 Hours free of duty when returning from more than 7 days overseas.

3enginejock

Hi,

Just a quick question about FAR 117.

(d) If a flightcrew member travels more than 60º longitude during a flight duty period or a series of flight duty periods that require him or her to be away from home base for more than 168 consecutive hours, the flightcrew member must be given a minimum of 56 consecutive hours rest upon return to home base. This rest must encompass three physiological nights’ rest based on local time.

We are normally based in MIA but for 2 months a year my company has a TDY over in Europe. Our aircraft left Miami in early July and returned in Early September.

We are having crews go out on trips the day after returning from the TDY and when we questioned the comapany response is your base changed when you were assigned to the TDY. They have documentation that the FAA signed off on this, however it doesnt seem to me like that is the intent of the law.

So what they are claiming is when we left Miami our based changed to Amsterdam and we returned to Miami it changed back to Miami and thus we were never away from base more than 168 consecutive hours and do not require 56 hours free of duty. Explain to me how someone can spend 2 months flying in Europe and then return to Miami and be immediately ready to fly the very next day out of Miami... But the FAA signed off on it.

Anyone have any experience with something similar to this?

We fly all over the world. 2 months a year we do a wet lease with TUI out of Amsterdam.

db394de7b4d0e84d98d58498e8ddcfafd2af21fe9e8745b2c07abc3027351f85.jpg

Back