FAA to JAA conversion

HVYMETALDRVR

Looking for some advice on the conversion. I'm aware of the process with the written tests that have to be taken in x number of months whatever whatever along with the JAA medical.

My question was is it worth it for an American pilot in terms of getting hired overseas? I keep hearing about places like Qatar and Turkish Airways prefer it and will pick up guys without jet time but I wanted to run it by the pilot group on here? I was always under the impression that to get hired in a foreign country its not just the conversion, you need to have the right to work also?

Are there any success stories on here with guys that are relatively low time (I'm around 2300/180 ME myself) getting something overseas because of the JAA?

Thx in advance!:)

To answer your question simply: No. A JAA cert wont get you any special hiring in places like the middle east. Having an ICAO license is all that's required. Now if you want to fly in Europe you'd need it along with the right to work. Turkey is not part of Europe but I think they have enough of their own guys there to not hire expats. Look in to some African companies in Namibia, Botswanna, or Nigeria. They seem to hire lower time (not meeting Emirates or Qatar mins) guys.

As far as I know, the middle eastern airlines only want an ICAO license, so your FAA certs are fine. To work in Europe, the bigger hurdle is not obtaining the JAA certs, it is getting the legal right to work.

To work in Europe, the bigger hurdle is not obtaining the JAA certs, it is getting the legal right to work.
It is true.

Now if you want to fly in Europe you'd need it along with the right to work.
True.

Turkey is not part of Europe but I think they have enough of their own guys there to not hire expats.
They have their own Turkish to fly.

They seem to hire lower time (not meeting Emirates or Qatar mins) guys.
They used to hire low time guys years ago but lot lesser now.

Looking for some advice on the conversion. I'm aware of the process with the written tests that have to be taken in x number of months whatever whatever along with the JAA medical.
Yes. JAA ATPL papers (is compulsory) is big pain!

My question was is it worth it for an American pilot in terms of getting hired overseas?
Yes! Worth it!

I keep hearing about places like Qatar .... ... prefer it and will pick up guys without jet time but I wanted to run it by the pilot group on here?
It is true, the Middle-East prefer JAA/JAR licence.

There are airlines that pick-up guys without jet-time.

I was always under the impression that to get hired in a foreign country its not just the conversion, you need to have the right to work also?
This is only true in some countries. The company is willing to apply work-permit/visa for you if they like you.

Are there any success stories on here with guys that are relatively low time (I'm around 2300/180 ME myself) getting something overseas because of the JAA?
I don't know any. However, I have heard of many successful stories getting hired in Asia.

TT2300? Not low time!

There are few reasons why not getting hired. Emailing and sending resume by post do not work in many-many countries. Meaning, they will not entertain you.

You must understand the culture of hiring process. It is not the same as the United States.

Thanks for the advice, I'm finally in a comfortable spot here so we'll see what happens I'm just sick of the crap going on this side of the planet with pay, QOL, and general attitudes towards pilots... I'm going to continue to get some more ME time, then save money, pick a spot on the planet, go there on vacation and knock on some doors. Hopefully I have a little luck!

To answer your question simply: No. A JAA cert wont get you any special hiring in places like the middle east. Having an ICAO license is all that's required. Now if you want to fly in Europe you'd need it along with the right to work. Turkey is not part of Europe but I think they have enough of their own guys there to not hire expats. Look in to some African companies in Namibia, Botswanna, or Nigeria. They seem to hire lower time (not meeting Emirates or Qatar mins) guys.

If you want a job in these countries I might be able to help you.........

Yeah, everything everyone said above is spot on. However, every now and then there are jobs open outside of the JAA area that require a JAA license, but these are quite rare. It is more common to find jobs that will take any ICAO license.

If you are interested in doing a conversion, I can tell you everything you need to know. I am also a JAA instructor.

I believe only the FAA ATP license is ICAO. If you still have a FAA Commercial certificate that won't work.

The FAA CPL is still ICAO, and so is the FAA IR. The FAA PPL is also an ICAO license.

An example of a non-ICAO license would be the UK national PPL and the UK IMC rating. The new FAA Sport license is a non-ICAO license as well.

Just curious, if the Middle Eastern carriers prefer JAA/JAR licenses, do they want you to convert all of them, or just the ATPL?

Hey Jay,
With my experience flying overseas I would spend the money towards a JAA conversion on a type instead. If they're looking to hire specially willing to take guys with no jet time/experience on type, if they want you they will make it work. If you're planning on moving somewhere and then looking for work, you're going to have a harder time. I tried that down here in South Africa and lets just say I'm planning on moving back to the States by the end of this month. You'll need to worry about a validation, visa, knocking on doors etc etc. It's much easier if the company hires you while you're still in the US and then you move over. They'll take care of everything then usually. What I would do is try to get ahold of some of the recruiters down there in FL that supply the big guys in like China/Africa/Asia. Sometimes they can squeeze you in or at least give some tips on what you can do to get in. I haven't heard of any airlines looking to hire without jet time or time on type. I would totally be all over that right now. I do have a buddy that got a job in China in a 73 without jet time. I'm working on him to see if he can get me in too but not looking very positive. How's the scene down in FL? I in the need of a job now badly so I might be heading down there to see what I can find.

=Jason-

Hey Jay,
With my experience flying overseas I would spend the money towards a JAA conversion on a type instead. If they're looking to hire specially willing to take guys with no jet time/experience on type, if they want you they will make it work. If you're planning on moving somewhere and then looking for work, you're going to have a harder time. I tried that down here in South Africa and lets just say I'm planning on moving back to the States by the end of this month. You'll need to worry about a validation, visa, knocking on doors etc etc. It's much easier if the company hires you while you're still in the US and then you move over. They'll take care of everything then usually. What I would do is try to get ahold of some of the recruiters down there in FL that supply the big guys in like China/Africa/Asia. Sometimes they can squeeze you in or at least give some tips on what you can do to get in. I haven't heard of any airlines looking to hire without jet time or time on type. I would totally be all over that right now. I do have a buddy that got a job in China in a 73 without jet time. I'm working on him to see if he can get me in too but not looking very positive. How's the scene down in FL? I in the need of a job now badly so I might be heading down there to see what I can find.

=Jason-

Thanks for the advice man, I'll consider all that. It's been awhile since we talked, let me PM you later on and we'll chat.

If you want a job in these countries I might be able to help you.........

Hello Sir,
My brother holds a FAA CPL with IR licence with piston time of 350Hrs. He is a fresher and looking for a job in the ME on jet aircraft. Is there any way you can help him or maybe advice him?

I'll never do it (FAA to JAA) - finding a work permit sponsor stateside would be less hassle...

Back