Credit for Flight Plan

ComplexHiAv8r

In another thread it was discussed about closing a flight plan in the air. I responded in that thread about a meeting I attended at the local uncontrolled field. This is to ask the ATC the response we were told.

When a plan is closed in the air, who gets credit for the flight plan? We were told that the towered field gets it instead of the uncontrolled field. Is this correct? I also have been asked by the controller if I want to cancel my plan once I indicated I had the field. I know this was more to assist me, but is this normal proceedure?

Needless to say that in last nights weather in NE OH they didnt ask if I wanted to cancel early even though I got the field at about 2 miles out. I think they wanted to make sure I was on the ground before closing it.

Thanks!!!

At an uncontrolled field there is no way we know you are down until you cancel on the ground... no one can be cleared in behind you until you cancel. Canceling int he air saves you a call and keeps our ops running.

I have heard stories of the FAA sending the local police out to uncontrolled fields to look at tail #'s to see if the plane got in. You shoot the approach, you don't go missed and we don't get a cancellation... after a specified time passes you a declared overdue...

One airport I worked for was trying to get an ILS but had to justify it with a certain number of IFR approaches a year. We were told they didnt count for our airport if the cancellations were made in the air so the airport manager encouraged everyone to cancel on the ground for each approach.

I understand the ops, but I also have heard some about aircraft lost between the cancel and the ground.

Thanks

What does still being on a flight plan have to do with that? We in no way pressure aircraft to cancel in the air, it's up to the pilot because they're the ones that can see the weather, fog, vis...I can't see that in front of a scope. It is very much a courtesy, especially to busier uncontrolled fields.

- Nate

What does still being on a flight plan have to do with that? We in no way pressure aircraft to cancel in the air, it's up to the pilot because they're the ones that can see the weather, fog, vis...I can't see that in front of a scope. It is very much a courtesy, especially to busier uncontrolled fields.

- Nate

I meant I understand the operations trying to allow more flow at the uncontrolled field, but I have read alot of reports of aircraft canceling in the air and never making the field. Yes, it is the PIC choice to cancel, but I was asking as it came up at a meeting at the field, as well as happening to me myself while flying.

I meant I understand the operations trying to allow more flow at the uncontrolled field, but I have read alot of reports of aircraft canceling in the air and never making the field. Yes, it is the PIC choice to cancel, but I was asking as it came up at a meeting at the field, as well as happening to me myself while flying.

I'm not 100% following your question... at the end you mention something happening yourself while flying ??? Did you cancel and not make the filed one time ??? That is always a risk...

It's not a traffic count issue, if you speak to ATC the facility you speak to has you as part of their traffic count, it doesn't matter whether you cancel with them or not, you are counted because you received services.

I'm not 100% following your question... at the end you mention something happening yourself while flying ??? Did you cancel and not make the filed one time ??? That is always a risk...

So far I have always made the field. I have been asked multiple times IF I wanted to cancel once I had the field (VOR circle approach). I have always declined. They didn't ask when I was running in quick last week in front of big Tstorm.

It's not a traffic count issue, if you speak to ATC the facility you speak to has you as part of their traffic count, it doesn't matter whether you cancel with them or not, you are counted because you received services.

The question has been if the uncontrolled field is getting the credit as they are trying to get Fed $$ for improvements (including a WAAS approach)

So far I have always made the field. I have been asked multiple times IF I wanted to cancel once I had the field (VOR circle approach). I have always declined. They didn't ask when I was running in quick last week in front of big Tstorm.

Remember there are pilots out there that forget to report their downtime...a situation I've been in before at my last facility. Maybe that situation was just a subtle reminder to cancel your flight plan. Controllers want safety above all else, but we also have the responsibility of keeping things expeditious for everyone involved. Asking if you want to cancel in the air keeps us from putting the guy behind you in holding while we wait for a downtime on a day when the visibility is unlimited and there isn't a cloud in the sky. If you've ever been put in holding at the end of your flight while someone before you is keeping all of that airspace to him/herself, you know what I mean (FYI I've been in this situation on both sides of the mic). However, it is nice to know that all that airspace has been sanitized of IFR traffic for you. Not trying to take sides, just pointing out both sides of this topic. Hope it helps!

- LL

Remember there are pilots out there that forget to report their downtime...a situation I've been in before at my last facility. Maybe that situation was just a subtle reminder to cancel your flight plan. Controllers want safety above all else, but we also have the responsibility of keeping things expeditious for everyone involved. Asking if you want to cancel in the air keeps us from putting the guy behind you in holding while we wait for a downtime on a day when the visibility is unlimited and there isn't a cloud in the sky. If you've ever been put in holding at the end of your flight while someone before you is keeping all of that airspace to him/herself, you know what I mean (FYI I've been in this situation on both sides of the mic). However, it is nice to know that all that airspace has been sanitized of IFR traffic for you. Not trying to take sides, just pointing out both sides of this topic. Hope it helps!

- LL

Thanks for the input. I do like and appreciate the controllers and what they do for us. Maybe I should of said that ALL of my IFR has been in IFR conditions. If the weather is VFR I have either returned flight following or cancel once VFR. When traveling Part91 I have never flown an approach in VFR. Mostly because the VOR is a major practice area for a local flight school and with the fatal accident there last year I keep away from it as much as possible in VFR. Maybe I should for the practice, but here in OH I have seem to be getting actual enough for me.

Safe Flights!

Back