C152 Spark Plugs

mrivc211

My engines running rough between 1100-1200 RPM and I'm thinking the plugs need to be cleaned up. Did an engine run up to burn them off but its not doing the trick. I have a new set. Do new spark plugs need to be gapped? It's my first time owning a plane. I'm enrolling in A&P school after 12000 hours and 4 type ratings. I figured its about time if I'm going to own my own plane. Thanks

My engines running rough between 1100-1200 RPM and I'm thinking the plugs need to be cleaned up. Did an engine run up to burn them off but its not doing the trick. I have a new set. Do new spark plugs need to be gapped? It's my first time owning a plane. I'm enrolling in A&P school after 12000 hours and 4 type ratings. I figured its about time if I'm going to own my own plane. Thanks
Sounds like you may need more troubleshooting, though if you're going to load the parts cannon at least it's better to jump to plugs than something expensive like a carburetor or mags. To answer your specific question, I would check the new plugs gap before install but they should be within.

Thanks. The plane came with a set of new ones so I figured it wouldn't hurt to throw them in there. I've worked on cars at my uncles auto shop for a few years and took auto shop in high school for 4 years so I'm hoping thats enough to get me by until school starts. I don't know why I didn't enroll sooner.

The O-235's are notorious for lead fouling, especially on the bottom plugs for some reason. At some of the places I have wrenched at we used to pull the bottom plugs at oil changes and clean them and that helped out a bit surprisingly.

What Bustin said. I've always cleaned the plugs on the O-235s during oil changes. Also aggressive leaning on the ground helps. After start, I pull the throttle to idle, lean till the rise and then leave it until the run up.

Well, I just got her back minus $2000 for an overhauled carburetor, two new push to talks that still don't work, and a new gasket(oil was leaking). My A&P class can't start soon enough. Ouch! I've put about 80 hours on her since I bought her in October so it's been busy. I don't know why the picture is upside down. I hate the internet, and computers.

Attachments

• IMG_4052.JPG
    IMG_4052.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 250
Well, I just got her back minus $2000 for an overhauled carburetor, two new push to talks that still don't work, and a new gasket(oil was leaking). My A&P class can't start soon enough. Ouch! I've put about 80 hours on her since I bought her in October so it's been busy. I don't know why the picture is upside down. I hate the internet, and computers.
that sounds like a cheap annual to me ;). But how do the PTTs still not work?

I'm not sure. Looks like it isn't the PTT. We can't figure out what it is. Just dropped another $500 on gasket replacements and engine tuning. I thought I lost a cylinder at first. I think I am done with 152's. Anyone wanna sell me their 172?

Is that an M3 or M4? Love the sakhir.

How much is the A&P going to cost, out the door?

Is that an M3 or M4? Love the sakhir.
Thanks. M4. I got it Dec 2014, the color gets a lot of attention. I've always wanted one since I was a kid. Surprisingly I dont really speed in it so I haven't gotten any tix yet. Hope fully it stays that way.

Attachments

• 24152FBB-DC56-4BFF-B27A-13EA48A1A83C.JPG
    24152FBB-DC56-4BFF-B27A-13EA48A1A83C.JPG
    219.4 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_4219.JPG
    IMG_4219.JPG
    492 KB · Views: 190
How much is the A&P going to cost, out the door?
Good question. I'm not too sure. I talked to a guy whos in the class now that is going to start teaching in my planes. He said he pays about $800 per semester and its a 24 month program at Orange Coast College. But that seems kinda cheap. Funny thing is I went to talk to the professor about the program and when he asked me what my background is, he wanted me to go over to the PPL class and offer to teach the ground school. I'd love to do it because I really like teaching to mix it up, but I think theres a lot of protectionism going on at the school so it was the response I was expecting. Left me kinda scratching my head. "hey apply we want you to teach". I go apply. "Sorry were not looking for anyone". lol I'm just happy to be going to A&P school though. I found a 172 to buy from my old student. He bought it for $38,000 6 months ago, but he is "willing to let it go" for $50,000. What a you know what.

Back