Blue Angels in IMAX

Love it. Awesome you have a son to be proud over, and good for him! Better men than me now have the watch, but it begs the eternal question….”where do we find such men?” Nice job papa
I’m sure some recruiters would love to be able and bottle that ’type’ up. I wish there was an easy answer. The Navy (or any service for that matter) is truly what you make of it. I ended up with my 2-yr degree while in and graduated with my bachelors and no student loan debt. My son (nuke) should he decide to get out at some point will be far better off than I was.

There are those that will get out and be better off and there are those that will get out and be in the same spot as when they got in. I wish it was easy on ome hand but on the other, if it were easy then everyone would do it.

Hoping there’s another carrier back in Norfolk soon.

I’m sure some recruiters would love to be able and bottle that ’type’ up. I wish there was an easy answer. The Navy (or any service for that matter) is truly what you make of it. I ended up with my 2-yr degree while in and graduated with my bachelors and no student loan debt. My son (nuke) should he decide to get out at some point will be far better off than I was.

There are those that will get out and be better off and there are those that will get out and be in the same spot as when they got in. I wish it was easy on ome hand but on the other, if it were easy then everyone would do it.

Hoping there’s another carrier back in Norfolk soon.

Oh for sure. Luck/timing favors those who are prepared. Easy to burn away an enlistment or a JO obligation and not make the most of it. But for those that do, like you and him, I can’t begin to explain how many doors will open up. Hope he comes home soon too. Been a long cruise IIRC. His “big XO” was a boss of mine in Fallon. You never know how people change when they come into such roles, but he was a fantastic guy when I knew the O-4/fresh O-5 version of him. Used to kick us all out of the office forcibly on Friday afternoon to go see our families when there wasn’t anything useful still going on. Was a small, but important leadership gesture, to a bunch of pretty type A JOs, who probably got their life priorities wrong more often than they got them right.

Oh for sure. Luck/timing favors those who are prepared. Easy to burn away an enlistment or a JO obligation and not make the most of it. But for those that do, like you and him, I can’t begin to explain how many doors will open up. Hope he comes home soon too. Been a long cruise IIRC. His “big XO” was a boss of mine in Fallon. You never know how people change when they come into such roles, but he was a fantastic guy when I knew the O-4/fresh O-5 version of him. Used to kick us all out of the office forcibly on Friday afternoon to go see our families when there wasn’t anything useful still going on. Was a small, but important leadership gesture, to a bunch of pretty type A JOs, who probably got their life priorities wrong more often than they got them right.
Have you read Magical Stranger or know some of the principals in the book?

Big XO…hmm Favra (sp?) left recently and they got a new XO. The Skipper ‘Chowdah’ came on board during workups prior to deployment. Both seemed/seem like great guys that are well respected.

Sounds like a familiar name, but no, what was it about?

Son tells the story of losing his father, a Prowler Skipper. Later, flies with his dad’s old unit.

The writer is a GQ and SI writer. He was also a classmate of mine .

Read it.

The Magical Stranger is a moving story of love and sacrifice, fathers and sons, heroism and duty, soldiers and the families they leave behind.

On November 28, 1979, squadron commander and Navy pilot Peter Rodrick died when his plane crashed in the Indian Ocean, leaving behind a devastated wife, two daughters, and a 13-year-old son.

In this powerful, beautifully written book, journalist Stephen Rodrick explores the life and death of the man who indelibly shaped his life, even as he remained a mystery. Through adolescence and into adulthood, Stephen Rodrick struggled to fully grasp the reality of his father’s death and its permanence.

To better understand his father, Rodrick turned to members of his father’s former squadron, the "World-Famous Black Ravens." As he learns about his father, he uncovers the layers of these sailors’ lives: their loves, friendships, dreams, disappointments—and the consequences of their choices on those they leave behind. The journey doesn’t end until November 28, 2013, when Rodrick’s first son is born 34 years to the day after his father’s mishap.

A penetrating, thoughtful blend of memoir and reportage, The Magical Stranger is a moving reflection on the meaning of military service and the power of a father’s legacy.

Son tells the story of losing his father, a Prowler Skipper. Later, flies with his dad’s old unit.

Read it.

The Magical Stranger is a moving story of love and sacrifice, fathers and sons, heroism and duty, soldiers and the families they leave behind.

On November 28, 1979, squadron commander and Navy pilot Peter Rodrick died when his plane crashed in the Indian Ocean, leaving behind a devastated wife, two daughters, and a 13-year-old son.

In this powerful, beautifully written book, journalist Stephen Rodrick explores the life and death of the man who indelibly shaped his life, even as he remained a mystery. Through adolescence and into adulthood, Stephen Rodrick struggled to fully grasp the reality of his father’s death and its permanence.

To better understand his father, Rodrick turned to members of his father’s former squadron, the "World-Famous Black Ravens." As he learns about his father, he uncovers the layers of these sailors’ lives: their loves, friendships, dreams, disappointments—and the consequences of their choices on those they leave behind. The journey doesn’t end until November 28, 2013, when Rodrick’s first son is born 34 years to the day after his father’s mishap.

A penetrating, thoughtful blend of memoir and reportage, The Magical Stranger is a moving reflection on the meaning of military service and the power of a father’s legacy.

Ordering for the kindle in the morning.

Big XO…hmm Favra (sp?) left recently and they got a new XO. The Skipper ‘Chowdah’ came on board during workups prior to deployment. Both seemed/seem like great guys that are well respected.

Ahhh, yeah I was talking about the outgoing one. Chowdah was the VAW-124 skipper in my first air wing. Also fantastic people!

Read it.

Ahhh yes, that’s what it was. I read the sample on google just now. Gonna have to read the whole thing. Hell, he even talks about the Oak Harbor roller barn. What a tragic story. I’m nowhere as cool or amazing as it sounds like his old man was, but I do fear my boys might have a similar memory were I to meet a similar fate. I know I have been gone more than I’ve been around in their young lives.

Ahhh yes, that’s what it was. I read the sample on google just now. Gonna have to read the whole thing. Hell, he even talks about the Oak Harbor roller barn. What a tragic story. I’m nowhere as cool or amazing as it sounds like his old man was, but I do fear my boys might have a similar memory were I to meet a similar fate. I know I have been gone more than I’ve been around in their young lives.

I was there. It was one of my first experiences with tragedy and loss among my peer group.

My junior high and high school years coincided with a horrendous number of Intruder and Prowler losses. C-1, S-2, A-3, A-4, and A-7 folks struggled with transition. So many memorial services.

Hats off to Stephen Rodrick, the author. He actually entertained the idea that his dad was a • pilot and sought out his dad’s peers. The truth was his dad struggled with a transition to a demanding airframe and became a competent Prowler stick.

It’s a great book.

Last edited:
I was there. It was one of my first experiences with tragedy and loss among my peer group.

My junior high and high school years coincided with a horrendous number of Intruder and Prowler losses. C-1, S-2, A-3, A-4, and A-7 folks struggled with transition. So many memorial services.

Hats off to Stephen Rodrick, the author. He actually entertained the idea that his dad was a • pilot and sought out his dad’s peers. The truth was his dad struggled with a transition to a demanding airframe and became a competent Prowler stick.

It’s a great book.

What had his dad flown previously? A-6 transition or something else?

Back