Baghdad Area Control/Approach Control

RetiredATLATC

Also posted in Expat Aviation jobs

Yeah yeah I know, Baghdad, ugh.

Actually not a bad gig for retired US controllers, both for Area and Approach controllers.

Excellent pay (app. 190k with the first 110k or so with a lower tax bracket), 56 vacation days a year (not counting the combination of your weekend days added to the vacation days), travel allowance (around 13k a yr), annual bonus equivalent to 10% of your base.

Free single room/bathroom/shower, internet, laundry/dry cleaning taken care of, fairly good food in the DFAC, VERY nice bar, excellent rec area with superb pool, sauna, tennis court etc.

Area is housed on airport property with G4S security, very safe (at least I've felt safe for almost 2 yrs here).

Excellent people to work with. Mix of Americans, Europeans, Icelanders, South Africans etc

No OT, average 6 day weeks with a Sleep/Off day after.

Not for everyone but a fun adventure and a great way to bank some serious cash (as the only thing you pay for is smokes and booze (which is cheap) ).

Area Control

https://jobs.flightglobal.com/job/1401462422/air-traffic-control-officer-area-ojti-baghdad/

Approach Control

https://jobs.flightglobal.com/job/1401462421/air-traffic-control-officer-approach-ojti-baghdad/

Any questions just ask

What do you do on your off day in Baghdad? I'm guessing leisurely strolls around the city and brunch on the Tigris are out of the question

What do you do on your off day in Baghdad? I'm guessing leisurely strolls around the city and brunch on the Tigris are out of the question

Not allowed to leave the camp, which is enclosed on the airport property. Lately it's been hovering around 120°'s so not much outside activity.

Some guys have bikes that they've brought from overseas and ride around all the different access roads and also to work, about 17km.

Me, I frequent the gym and the bar. I'm only here this time for a few months, but in the past there was a lot of travelling to Europe to meet up with the Minister of Home Affairs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back