Would you ever leave Dispatch for some other department?

I'm content with just working the dispatch desk, and that seems to be the sentiment among most of the dispatchers at my airline. Last posting for SOD (our version of system controller/sector manager) got zero applicants out of the hundreds of people eligible to apply. Nobody wants to deal with the extra busywork and office politics that comes with that job, nor risk getting a worse schedule and having reduced shift trade opportunities. Even for an 11% pay bump. There's a looming threat that management is going to start JA-ing dispatchers into SOD positions.

And going to an 8-5 M-F office job here would mean working many more hours and days per year. No job security. Plus working unpaid overtime and having to take work home. No thanks.

I'm content with just working the dispatch desk, and that seems to be the sentiment among most of the dispatchers at my airline. Last posting for SOD (our version of system controller/sector manager) got zero applicants out of the hundreds of people eligible to apply. Nobody wants to deal with the extra busywork and office politics that comes with that job, nor risk getting a worse schedule and having reduced shift trade opportunities. Even for an 11% pay bump. There's a looming threat that management is going to start JA-ing dispatchers into SOD positions.

And going to an 8-5 M-F office job here would mean working many more hours and days per year. No job security. Plus working unpaid overtime and having to take work home. No thanks.

That and at my airline at least, controllers are scheduled for 12 hour days. A FULL 12 hours mind you, none of our scheduled for 10 but leave after 9 hours deal. Not worth the 10% bump IMO.

Yeah you can miss me with that 12 hour shift. Not about that life.
Yea that's a slippery slope too. If the position is legal to schedule at 12 hours, it's probably also legal to forcibly extend to 16 or more. Which I have heard about happening in IROP's. Only limitation at that point is state law, which is....weak to say the least in most states.

Back