What do you hate most about the job?

- Having to get a second job to afford flying lessons.

My current problem :banghead:

- Pilots and passengers who consider that us line guys rank right there with something they have to scrape off their shoes.

Thats when you show them how much you can screw up their day :D

- Being screamed at over the radio by an overbearing supervisor for something minor when the customers can hear it too. (Though it warmed my heart when he did that in front of a NetJets pilot, and the pilot 'wanted a word with that man', then handed me a very healthy tip)

NetJets pilot's rock.

here's my list:

-$629 paychecks
-fueling in the dark
-when the wireless goes out in the line shack (esp when no one's flying due to wx)
-when the heater is out in the line shack because some genius overloaded the circuit breaker

here's my list:

-$629 paychecks
-fueling in the dark
-when the wireless goes out in the line shack (esp when no one's flying due to wx)
-when the heater is out in the line shack because some genius overloaded the circuit breaker

If you had my paycheck, $629 would look good man. :D

That's awesome that you guys get to do that at your FBO. At mine, it's largely frowned upon to be even texting on the cell phone. But, that's by the same people who decided that we're allowed to read magazines, but not newspapers.

We have a guy who came from another FBO where the company PROVIDED a computer for the Line Service guys to access the internet AND a television to pass the time.

We do chair sail on occasion though.

That's awesome that you guys get to do that at your FBO. At mine, it's largely frowned upon to be even texting on the cell phone. But, that's by the same people who decided that we're allowed to read magazines, but not newspapers.

We have a guy who came from another FBO where the company PROVIDED a computer for the Line Service guys to access the internet AND a television to pass the time.

We do chair sail on occasion though.

Hm, why so strict?

It seems things on Sundays get slow quite often, I don't know what I would do without internet and my phone.

Here is my list:

-hearing that someone gets a $629 paycheck. Lucky to break $200 in a 40 hour week
-pulling out all 18 flight school aircraft from various points around the field in the morning and then hangaring them back every night regardless of weather.
-the threat of rain causes the 18 flight school planes to be put back up midday only for the threat to pass and everything has to be pulled back out again.
-hearing that other FBO's allow LST's to read, surf the web, and watch TV. My employer doesn't allow us to do any of that. If we are not busy, then we have to wash a plane or find something to do...this includes checking oil levels, checking tire psi, and rubbing 5606 fluid on oleo struts of the flight school planes. This causes many LST's to disappear to the fuel farm shack, loading dock, or other far place on the airport until a customer arrives...
-Lav service on a 727 because not only is doing lav not fun, but especially when the hose doesn't reach and we have to improvise.
-doing the poor mans de-ice (alcohol and broom) on a citation or king air because the crew/operator is too cheap to use our de-ice truck.
-using our 1970 something de-ice truck because something always breaks. One time our crack maintenance team decided to fix a pipe on the cherry picker boom with pvc instead of steel pipe. Then halfway through a de-ice on a G4 it proceeded to explode, sending type 1 everywhere. I always wear rain gear over my coveralls from now on
-fueling inboards on a king air 200
-fueling a C-150 with 1.6 Gallons of 100LL
-fueling a D328prop or jet
-driving across the field for a fuel order at a t-hanger only to get back and receive another fuel order. why couldn't that guy flag me down when I was over there?
-aircraft that are parked across the field that want to use only a credit card so I have to make multiple trips back and forth from the FBO shuttling cards and receipts.
-taking 100LL loads at the farm because it takes forever...and the trucking company always seems to send out the most weird, odd, and scary delivery drivers so conversation is always awkward.
-fueling turbo commanders
-taking off baron fuel caps
-over wing fueling falcon 20's.
-over wing fueling convair 340's
-pilots who ignore all hand signals for parking
-pilots who continue 5 feet forward after giving them the park brakes signal
-citation pilots who always ask for triple chocking the wheels with our extra big chocks even on a windless day.
-trying to get the rusty start cart hose onto a t-38 only to have it blow off when applying bleed air
-all of the lights on the fuel trucks seem to be burn't out and never can be fixed so night fueling is always a challenge
-using a non powered steering tug to attempt to put the air-stairs (with its weird castering grocery cart wheels) against a plane
-using a pick-up truck for a baggage cart and belt loader
-the second you get food or try to eat...stuff ALWAYS happens

this one goes with the job but it still kind of bothers me with how rude some people are.

-when you go way out of your way to help a customer such as doing the poor mans de-ice or doing every service available to a plane (in the snow uphill both ways) and not even getting a thank you! even when they knew that you went way over and above your job duties to help them.

Boy J, you sound like you are in the wrong line of work.:confused: That's pretty much everything a line guy does. As a pilot and former lineman here is my view.

-pilots who ignore all hand signals for parking
90% of the line guys who park me use the wrong signals themselves. Many of the pilots who get used to the wrong signals won't follow the "right" signals when they are actually used. For example, when we are taxiing perpendicular to the parking space coming into the ramp, most linemen will give the signal for "left turn" when they actually mean "continue straight." When a lineman actually uses the "continue straight" signal, some pilots will turn toward them. Personally, I'd rather a lineguy hold one wand up and the other pointing at the center line. I'll get it in the right spot.

PS...I have seen several planes run into fences and poles while following lineman's signals. You can see the reason for apprehension.

-pilots who continue 5 feet forward after giving them the park brakes signal
Some linemen try to stop you too quick. I am not going to plant my pax into the shoulder straps just because a lineman wants to hit the "T."

-citation pilots who always ask for triple chocking the wheels with our extra big chocks even on a windless day.
Many companies require triple chocking....NetJets is one of them. Winds can kick up and blast from other planes can spin it. (As well as errant tugs and ramp vehicles). I have seen planes from a C172 to B727 spin around in the wind. It is much simpler to put in the chocks than face the liability.

I dont know whats the deal with everyone hating to fill up a plane with 1.6 gallons of 100LL. I mean whats the difference between that or 20 gallons?

I do that small amount quite often for some of the bush pilots out here, especially the Search and Rescue pilots who is always reminding me to fill it to the brim and get every drop of gas I can in that wing. I dont mind at all, and I dont quite get why others hate it so much, (unless you just really just hate fueling airplanes)

I fly flights going over mountain passes that you may need 1.6 to make the reserve requirements, yet to heavy to fly with a topoff

Boy J, you sound like you are in the wrong line of work.:confused: That's pretty much everything a line guy does. As a pilot and former lineman here is my view.

90% of the line guys who park me use the wrong signals themselves. Many of the pilots who get used to the wrong signals won't follow the "right" signals when they are actually used. For example, when we are taxiing perpendicular to the parking space coming into the ramp, most linemen will give the signal for "left turn" when they actually mean "continue straight." When a lineman actually uses the "continue straight" signal, some pilots will turn toward them. Personally, I'd rather a lineguy hold one wand up and the other pointing at the center line. I'll get it in the right spot.

PS...I have seen several planes run into fences and poles while following lineman's signals. You can see the reason for apprehension.

Some linemen try to stop you too quick. I am not going to plant my pax into the shoulder straps just because a lineman wants to hit the "T."

Many companies require triple chocking....NetJets is one of them. Winds can kick up and blast from other planes can spin it. (As well as errant tugs and ramp vehicles). I have seen planes from a C172 to B727 spin around in the wind. It is much simpler to put in the chocks than face the liability.

There are a lot of things I enjoy about the job. Looking back on some of the toughest days and I think to myself how that was good times. At the time it just kind of grinds your gears so to speak. Overall LST work has been great and has taught me a wealth of information about work habits, aircraft, and airport operations that cannot be really learned elsewhere. That is why I have done it for three years and continue to as I CFI!

I somewhat understand the triple chocking for an overnight but for a 1 hour fuel stop? Most of the time we don't get much bigger aircraft than another citation or king air. The big stuff that we occasionally service (DOD/ DOD contracts) go on a separate part of the ramp.

As for the park brakes, I typically do the slow motion to an X and it works fine. What bothers me is the guy in the 182 who stops initially then puts his head down and lets the plane creep forward...or the crew who thinks it is funny to watch the line guy touch the nose because they crept so close.

I give the signals out of the AIM and I know some linemen don't. I typically do the one up and center or a double throw until the pilot can see where I want them, then I switch to the standard turns and etc. I have seen co-workers over the years use some pretty odd signals. However what I was meaning was regarding the pilots who purposely ignore signals only to get a "better" spot on the line not realizing that it is blocking an exit or entrance pattern or vehicle drive path on the ramp. I once actually had to dive out of the way of a C421 as he throttled back up because the pilot didn't like that I put him 20 feet away of the door.

The DO328 is a really neat plane. I love the blue cockpit. I just don't think it was meant to be liked by refuelers. The auto refuel is great when it works. I just don't think the position of the hook up was well thought out. Our single point hoses have the long Garsite adapter/ coupler/ swivel which adds a lot of weight and causes it to be in-flexible. So climbing 12 feet up while holding that weight trying to get the nozzle to lock in can be difficult at times...I wish they would have put it lower towards the wheel well like the Shorts.

Ummm...you may want to get the memo out to all the NetJet pilots then about that. I've been doing the job for 9 months now, and have yet to have a NetJet pilot ask to be triple-chocked. Double, yes occassionally, but I've never been asked for triple-chocked.

By no means am I implying that what you're saying is not true...but I'm not kidding either about never being asked to triple-chock a N***QS jet. If it's a liability issue, a lot of your pilots aren't following it.

Cheers!

Andy

The DO328 is a really neat plane. I love the blue cockpit. I just don't think it was meant to be liked by refuelers. The auto refuel is great when it works. I just don't think the position of the hook up was well thought out. Our single point hoses have the long Garsite adapter/ coupler/ swivel which adds a lot of weight and causes it to be in-flexible. So climbing 12 feet up while holding that weight trying to get the nozzle to lock in can be difficult at times...I wish they would have put it lower towards the wheel well like the Shorts.
Ah, OK understood!

We triple chock all NetJets, Citation Shares, and Flight Options aircraft at our FBO per contract.
Thanks BCT. CAP, It is an FBO contract agreement. Pilots "should" be insuring that it is done. Citation X and Falcon 2000s should be triple chocked, all others double chocked.

Thanks BCT. CAP, It is an FBO contract agreement. Pilots "should" be insuring that it is done. Citation X and Falcon 2000s should be triple chocked, all others double chocked.

Ah, okay. Always happy to learn something new, especially when that learning experience means that I haven't been lax on the job. :p

Cheers!

Back