RIP Richard G “Dick” Rutan

Some people are very critical of Dick as a person in and out of the cockpit. I never met him or his brother that I can remember. I think they're both oddballs from what I have heard or read. I think they had a fairly strict upbringing that might've shaped their unique personalities. I recall a story one of the crew on the bearcat told me (before I was working it) that Burt Rutan had invited Lyle and the bearcat up to Mojave for a photo op with the Pond Racer in '91 before the Reno races that year. Lyle agreed and a small crew launched the airplane in KVNY and then another small group met it in Mojave. Remember that in '91 the Rare Bear was at its peak, and unbeknownst to the Scaled Composite folks the airplane was pretty much just doing a test flight before they left for Reno and was turned up with all of the fluids and gases ready to make a max power run to verify some stuff. After he landed they parked the airplanes next to each other for some pictures. There was lots of smiling and shaking hands. And then it was time to go home, Lyle asked the tower if he could make a pass down the runway and considering Mojave isn't exactly a bustling hub of activity they said "sure". (Everything I say from here on out is all hypothetical, is it fiction, is it fact? It's up to you.) He went out a few miles and wound that airplane up to full race power and instead of flying down the runway he flew directly over the ramp where the Pond Racer was sitting at about 100' going really, really fast. The Pond Racer was designed and built to replace the warbirds in the Unlimited class at Reno. I heard after that pass Burt threw his hat on the ground and angrily walked away. Air racing has legends and for the fortunate few who were there this is one of them. I think the airplane left Mojave and flew to Reno but I might be mistaken. In any case that September the bearcat won what many consider the best Gold Unlimited Final ever run.

TLDR: The Rutans might not be as nice as you think.

People have funny personalities sometimes.

Without commenting on this specifically, I’ve met a couple of people who turned out to be not spectacular in person (I’m sure people say the same about me).

OTOH, I’ve met some famous and semi-famous folks that are absolute top drawer individuals.

Without commenting on this specifically, I’ve met a couple of people who turned out to be not spectacular in person (I’m sure people say the same about me).

OTOH, I’ve met some famous and semi-famous folks that are absolute top drawer individuals.
I remember meeting Bob Hoover for the first time, it was actually out on the ramp at Reno after he'd landed his Commander with both engines shut down and feathered. We were out there staging our airplane for our next heat race. Obviously his reputation preceded him, but he lived up to it in real life. The "perfect southern gentlemen", despite everything he'd accomplished he was very modest and humble. I met him many other times after that and he was always the same person, he'd take the time to talk to anyone. If he saw something he didn't like he wasn't afraid to take someone aside and have a friendly counseling session but he just had a way about him, perhaps benevolent is a good word to describe him. He stole a FW-190 after escaping a German prison camp and flew it back across the front lines to relative safety during WWII. He was an absolute legend, but because of the way he conducted himself if you didn't know who he was you'd probably just think he was a nice old man. And I think that's how he liked it.

It's completely random.

I've been horribly disappointed by some people I look up to. I've had to say to myself "Well they are great at _____ but I guess we won't be friends ever." Some guys are brilliant and very effective in their skill sets but horrible at social skills.

OTOH, I've also me some very approachable and down to earth celebrities. Including some types I thought I would never seen myself liking.

I remember back in college, one of the RIddle kids on a cross country flew out to Mohave and walked into the hangar thinking the Rutans were going to approach him with open arms and say "Welcome, AVIATOR!" and give him the Wonka Factory tour.

He was greeted with.... "OMG! WTF?! GTFO!!" :)

I remember back in college, one of the RIddle kids on a cross country flew out to Mohave and walked into the hangar thinking the Rutans were going to approach him with open arms and say "Welcome, AVIATOR!" and give him the Wonka Factory tour.

He was greeted with.... "OMG! WTF?! GTFO!!" :)
If you ever need to go there now (Scaled Composites) you'll need an FBI background check, ask me how I know.

Back