Time to DO something

jrh

Today I officially became Director of Operations for my company. Or at least as official as I can get before I get blessed by the FAA to sign OpSpecs and whatnot. We do Part 135 charter, fractional ownership, and aircraft management. 22 airplanes in the fleet and 82 employees total. One goal, amongst many, is to double the size of the operation over the next five years or so.

I've been with this company for 7.5 years and have 4+ years as a training captain/check airman, but never held any management positions until today.

It's both exciting and overwhelming. So much to learn, but I was getting to the point where I kind of needed a challenge.

Any current or former DOs here? I'd love to develop a network of contacts who know what this spot is like.

Congratz. Will you be doing much flying or is it a desk job?

The outgoing DO flew about 150 hours spread out over about 40 days/year. I'll probably fly a bit more than that, plus give some checkrides.

One of the perks of the job is that I'm the "highest ranking" pilot in the company, so if we get a sweet week long trip to a tropical island in the middle of winter, I can tell our flight coordinators to assign me to it and nobody can question me

One of the curses of the job is that I'm also the ace up their sleeve when the flight coordinators can't find crew for a flight and we're going to lose $20k if it gets cancelled. "You mean nobody wants to come in for that 4 AM show to start a five leg, 14 hour day on one of their days off? I guess we gotta stick the DO on it."

How many DO’s have they gone through in the last 10 years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be the fourth in my time with the company.

The DO I was hired under is the President/owner of the company. The following DO became the current CEO. The third DO, my predecessor, served as DO for three years and left for a combination of personal and professional reasons that had nothing to do with our operation. He's nearing retirement, had some "life is short" health situations in his family, and landed what he considers to be a dream job for an aircraft manufacturer. He's going to fly some beautiful jets, be home every night, and live a pretty low stress life in a warm climate. Can't say I blame him.

I’ve got quite a few years experience in the position at a similar size (at the time) operation.

Reactions: jrh
This is pretty close to what the outgoing DO told me.
In my experience, it can be very rewarding but also very difficult if you are doing it right. It’s probably a lot easier if you decide to be one of those dirtbag management stooge types, but trying to balance the needs of the company, the (sometimes unrealistic) demands of upper management/owners, and doing right by your employees will have you pulled in all different directions and can be quite stressful. Guarantee you’ll also run into scenarios you never would have imagined of “WHAT was employee soandso thinking!?!?”.

One thing that I always enjoyed as DM, which you’ll get to do a little as DO as well, was selling the owners/accountants on cool airplane • and getting to spend a bunch of their money on stuff that makes the operation run better.

What is your long term strategy with this gig? Do you think you want to retire doing something like this? Are you planning to do this a few years and use the résumé dressing to get something bigger and better? Give it a few years and see from there? This is just my experience, but it seems like 135 management types, especially if they don’t become management stooges, have about a 3-5 year lifespan in the job and if you have sort of a next step plan in place it might help you make a better career choice when you just can’t do it anymore. Of course, maybe your ownership/upper management is one of the unicorns where you will be happy doing it long term in which case good on ya. In any case, like I said, good luck, and based on what I know of you from here I’m sure you’ll do a solid job.

In my experience, it can be very rewarding but also very difficult if you are doing it right. It’s probably a lot easier if you decide to be one of those dirtbag management stooge types, but trying to balance the needs of the company, the (sometimes unrealistic) demands of upper management/owners, and doing right by your employees will have you pulled in all different directions and can be quite stressful. Guarantee you’ll also run into scenarios you never would have imagined of “WHAT was employee soandso thinking!?!?”.

Dirtbag is my middle name. I'm all about screwing over the average Joe just trying to get by. I mean, this is Part 135, amirite?!?

Haha...but for real, I do know exactly what you are talking about. I've seen it. I've even joked before how the reason I stay out of management is because I'd probably actually make everyone hate me. I'd crack down on pilots spending money on stupid stuff with their expense accounts, so they'd hate me, and I'd cost the company money by insisting on policies that ultimately cancel trips, so management would hate me. I guess I can't use that joke anymore!

The reason I think I'll be able to deal with it is because of the same philosophy I have in professional flying...make sure to care, but not too much. Some pilots are out here losing their minds if the fuel truck is not showing up quick enough or the catering is missing. Not me. I do the best I can to make it a quick turn, keep the customers happy, or whatever, but if things go wrong, that's life. I tried.

One thing that I always enjoyed as DM, which you’ll get to do a little as DO as well, was selling the owners/accountants on cool airplane • and getting to spend a bunch of their money on stuff that makes the operation run better.

Yes, seen this too. Our Excel fleet wouldn't be transitioning to G5000 avionics if it weren't largely for our previous DO's work.

What is your long term strategy with this gig? Do you think you want to retire doing something like this? Are you planning to do this a few years and use the résumé dressing to get something bigger and better? Give it a few years and see from there? This is just my experience, but it seems like 135 management types, especially if they don’t become management stooges, have about a 3-5 year lifespan in the job and if you have sort of a next step plan in place it might help you make a better career choice when you just can’t do it anymore. Of course, maybe your ownership/upper management is one of the unicorns where you will be happy doing it long term in which case good on ya. In any case, like I said, good luck, and based on what I know of you from here I’m sure you’ll do a solid job.

Thanks. I definitely gave this angle thought even before applying, as I've seen the same phenomenon of burnout you're talking about.

It helps that I've never had a great plan for my life. I mean it. I've kind of drifted along in my career doing a lot of unconventional stuff and enjoying it. I might be super weird, or lucky, or a bit of both. I flight instructed far longer than most people. At one point I walked away from professional flying and did aircraft sales work for several years. Then when pay/schedules started improving for pilots, decided to jump back in and fly jets for my current company. Really enjoyed the ride here. Oftentimes people would ask what my plan is, because they can tell I've been doing this 135 stuff longer than most, and I half jokingly say, "I dunno, I'll probably ride this bus until the wheels fall off then figure out what else to do with my life."

I see a few potential paths for myself.

1) Legitimately enjoy the work and do it indefinitely.

2) Grow the company enough in the next five years for the whole operation to get bought out. If this happens, I'll be compensated at a level that would make retirement a real possibility, or at least make work optional, at which point who knows what direction I might go.

3) Get burned out and go back to being a line pilot. It's not like I'm miserable here as a pilot.

4) Get burned out and go fly somewhere else.

5) Get burned out and walk away from flying. I've done it once, I could do it again!

I have no idea which path will happen. Obviously #1 or #2 would be my preference, but I'd be ok with any of them.

Then when pay/schedules started improving for pilots, decided to jump back in and fly jets for my current company.

Careful, you can't say "jet" here......unless that's your kink, then it's ok

JK, congrats, sounds like pretty interesting stuff!

Dirtbag is my middle name. I'm all about screwing over the average Joe just trying to get by. I mean, this is Part 135, amirite?!?

Haha...but for real, I do know exactly what you are talking about. I've seen it. I've even joked before how the reason I stay out of management is because I'd probably actually make everyone hate me. I'd crack down on pilots spending money on stupid stuff with their expense accounts, so they'd hate me, and I'd cost the company money by insisting on policies that ultimately cancel trips, so management would hate me. I guess I can't use that joke anymore!

The reason I think I'll be able to deal with it is because of the same philosophy I have in professional flying...make sure to care, but not too much. Some pilots are out here losing their minds if the fuel truck is not showing up quick enough or the catering is missing. Not me. I do the best I can to make it a quick turn, keep the customers happy, or whatever, but if things go wrong, that's life. I tried.

Yes, seen this too. Our Excel fleet wouldn't be transitioning to G5000 avionics if it weren't largely for our previous DO's work.

Thanks. I definitely gave this angle thought even before applying, as I've seen the same phenomenon of burnout you're talking about.

It helps that I've never had a great plan for my life. I mean it. I've kind of drifted along in my career doing a lot of unconventional stuff and enjoying it. I might be super weird, or lucky, or a bit of both. I flight instructed far longer than most people. At one point I walked away from professional flying and did aircraft sales work for several years. Then when pay/schedules started improving for pilots, decided to jump back in and fly jets for my current company. Really enjoyed the ride here. Oftentimes people would ask what my plan is, because they can tell I've been doing this 135 stuff longer than most, and I half jokingly say, "I dunno, I'll probably ride this bus until the wheels fall off then figure out what else to do with my life."

I see a few potential paths for myself.

1) Legitimately enjoy the work and do it indefinitely.

2) Grow the company enough in the next five years for the whole operation to get bought out. If this happens, I'll be compensated at a level that would make retirement a real possibility, or at least make work optional, at which point who knows what direction I might go.

3) Get burned out and go back to being a line pilot. It's not like I'm miserable here as a pilot.

4) Get burned out and go fly somewhere else.

5) Get burned out and walk away from flying. I've done it once, I could do it again!

I have no idea which path will happen. Obviously #1 or #2 would be my preference, but I'd be ok with any of them.
You’ll do great - I can tell.

One of the downsides, as you’ve noted, is that you will never have everybody completely happy with what you’re doing. The key is to not take it personally, and get your personal satisfaction by knowing you’re trying to do the right things for the right reasons. Compromises are part of the job description, but the difficult part is deciphering when to, and how much. When in doubt, step back and try to get some clarity on the big picture.

It sounds like you’ve got the right perspective and attitude to do this job.

Congratulations!

I've been A-DO and CP for quite some time of an outfit with about 320 total employees. It's a demanding job but it is very rewarding. In fact, even on the tough days, I could not imagine doing anything else.

The best thing you can do is make your face known, don't be one of those dudes who rules from on high. Listen to your folks, buy them lunch, and learn the name of everyone on property.

If you can hold on to your principles and justify your position then you will be very satisfied with the job.

Also...the FAA have nothing on ISBAO, CAMTS, or NAAMTA.

congrats @jrh

I don't have any experience at the DO level of a 135....but as a previous instructor for a 135 and seeing what they go through...

...good luck bro

EDIT: It's also nice to see a career progression outside of the 121 world! Thanks @derg

Reactions: jrh
Also...the FAA have nothing on ISBAO, CAMTS, or NAAMTA.

As long as I don't have to join NAMBLA I think I'll be good.

You know the first thing to blow up my email inbox? A bunch of forms to be filled out for the TSA. My favorite.

I might be about ready to be DO and then a couple years later Pres of my little "company" too. Didn't really want it, but nobody else did either among the 3 of us qualified, and I can't let her hang out in the breeze like that, so I sucked it up and applied. I will find out any minute now, and it will be quicker than you can sign an opspec when it goes into effect if it does. Maybe we can write pity letters to one another.

Back